IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

The Mars Volta will play again2015

• Please log in to reply
8628 replies to this topic

#8521 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7022 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 06 October 2021 - 08:17 AM

If you're scrolling through that Pitchfork article where they re-score album reviews that they regret and you're looking for Le Marz Wolter, don't bother – they're standing by those. Gotta lol.

#8522 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 7077 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 08 October 2021 - 07:47 AM

The OC.

Don’t call it that

Nice ref

#8523 oranjeguice

oranjeguice

Dead Palace

• Members
  • Pip
  • 249 posts
  • Joined 07-July 05

Posted 08 October 2021 - 08:42 PM

If you're scrolling through that Pitchfork article where they re-score album reviews that they regret and you're looking for Le Marz Wolter, don't bother – they're standing by those. Gotta lol.

I too searched in vain

#8524 logos

logos

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3358 posts
  • Joined 11-December 04

Posted 09 October 2021 - 01:42 AM

The OC.

Don’t call it that
Nice ref

I was about to give up hope

#8525 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 6315 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 09 October 2021 - 03:40 AM

"oh hey turns out people like these albums so gotta change some scores y'all"

#8526 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4434 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 09 October 2021 - 04:12 AM

idk, I'm in favor of revisiting reviews. shit changes. took me like a half dozen tries to get into Zappa, miles, and death grips but now I can't leave home without them. not exactly a flawless example but look at rolling stone and Zeppelin, they trashed them their whole decade together but now they rule the roost. and tmv didn't have half as much influence despite being a better band imo so what do you expect? the most tmv did apart from enrich our lives was spawn thousands of shitty rip off bands, no genre wide sea changes

#8527 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 6315 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 09 October 2021 - 05:14 AM

idk, I'm in favor of revisiting reviews. shit changes. took me like a half dozen tries to get into Zappa, miles, and death grips but now I can't leave home without them. not exactly a flawless example but look at rolling stone and Zeppelin, they trashed them their whole decade together but now they rule the roost. and tmv didn't have half as much influence despite being a better band imo so what do you expect? the most tmv did apart from enrich our lives was spawn thousands of shitty rip off bands, no genre wide sea changes

I think it really depends on how the review is conducted. How many times are you listening to the album, and honestly I don't know the answer for professional music journalists. Is it once, twice, a dozen? The sense I always got from their Volta reviews is they gave those albums one or two goes, declared them impenetrable and then slagged them. Volta albums always take quite a few spins to really sink in, same with some of those other artists you mentioned like Zappa, Miles, or Death Grips. Some music lays all the cards on the table the first time and others take a while. Pitchfork seems to reward the former more times than not, at least when I'd frequent the sight some years back. That and their seeming interest in being contrarian for the sake of it.

Second, I think this is also the issue with having one person reviewing the album. I think the great advantage of a reviewing team like Siskel & Ebert, Sound Opinions, or Half in the Bag is that you get multiple voices discussing one project. Sometimes what doesn't work for someone works for someone else, and if there is a consensus that something is shit it makes it easier to trust that it is indeed.

If they are going back and rereviewing, is it the same author? If not, it kind of defeats the purpose and really feels like a retconning for image sake. It also is pointless because if, say, Daria always disliked Pet Sounds, but Jeff always loved it a re-review does literally next to nothing. Now, if Daria has now come around to Pet Sounds and wants to explain that I'm interested. I could speak similarly to my feelings on Radiohead. Used to hate them and now I do enjoy them enough or how my love for Flogging Molly has shifted to mild cringe.

I'm also not expecting Pitchfork to rereview The Mars Volta. Those reviews are fun, truly strange takes on those albums that seem to hammer their at the time ethos of complexity in music is bad. I will concede Volta didn't really create any paradigm shifts in the medium, but I think that comes with their audacity and density. They created loads of shitty rip-offs because unlike The Black Keys or The Strokes, emulating them was nowhere near as easy. Room on Fire is easier to rip-off than Frances.

And going through the article a lot of the reviews they picked seem like convenient revisionist history I mean for goodness sake one of the albums was the Grimes album from last year....which was and still is complete shit, her cartoonish views on Communism aside.

#8528 Palo Alto

Palo Alto

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Joined 24-November 07

Posted 09 October 2021 - 06:23 AM

Re-reviewing is stupid and basically trying to retcon.

#8529 Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man

POWDERED.TOAST.MAN

• Members
  • 11781 posts
  • Joined 20-February 10
  • Twitter

Posted 09 October 2021 - 07:00 PM

p4k sux

#8530 absalomman

absalomman

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Joined 22-May 17

Posted 11 October 2021 - 04:59 PM

welp red hot chili peppers opening acts got released.

#8531 brucef

brucef

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Joined 26-February 16

Posted 11 October 2021 - 06:00 PM

Ya pasaron 10 años, men! Que gusto que los RHCP convoquen nuevas bandas y las que estan posicionadas en el mercado como Strokes, Asap Rocky, St Vincent y Haim

#8532 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 7077 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 01:30 AM

DJ Nobody commented in the TMV facebook group saying new TMV is finished and coming next year.

#8533 arturod

arturod

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • Joined 10-June 05
  • Interests:Working way too much, mainly lurking and taping

Posted 22 October 2021 - 02:12 AM

DJ Nobody commented in the TMV facebook group saying new TMV is finished and coming next year.

🤷🏽‍♂️

Attached Files

#8534 Andrewf

Andrewf

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5403 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 22 October 2021 - 02:13 AM

What the fuck

#8535 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7022 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 22 October 2021 - 06:01 AM

Hooking up on that Chili Pepper stadium tour.

#8536 Andrewf

Andrewf

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5403 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 22 October 2021 - 09:48 AM

All openers already announced...

#8537 greatbigyes

greatbigyes

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Joined 05-September 18

Posted 22 October 2021 - 01:21 PM

and it's called Saddle on the Atom Bomb

#8538 Andrewf

Andrewf

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5403 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 22 October 2021 - 01:23 PM

If Am2 is the new TMV I am done with these assholes.

#8539 vacuumo

vacuumo

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • Joined 23-February 05

Posted 22 October 2021 - 02:36 PM

as they say, expect the unexpected. 

still, I find it strange that anyone close to the band would mosey on over to a fan group to write that. maybe it was done with O&C and/or Clouds Hill's approval? I don't get it.

#8540 Andrewf

Andrewf

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5403 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 22 October 2021 - 03:11 PM

These reissues come out 1-2 months apart with landscape being final on January 7 (I don't get why couldn't they make an actual artwork for it???). Maybe we get LP7 in march-april 2022? (Probably not though)

12 user(s) are reading this topic

4 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1), natedog807, revefbug, JohnSimonHall, Powdered Toast Man