IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

A manual dexterity: VOL 2Is actually...

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 babybutton

babybutton

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
  • Joined 19-November 09

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:42 PM

So aparently "A Manual Dexterity: VOL 2" was already released but is known as "Absence makes the heart grow fungus". "Frankoso" told me this b4 getting his accnt erased and asked me to say it today. Dnt ask why. Just making the man a favor.

#2 psychoshamanism

psychoshamanism

nada sin ti

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7800 posts
  • Joined 03-May 09

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:45 PM

why was he erased?

#3 babybutton

babybutton

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
  • Joined 19-November 09

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:51 PM

why was he erased?

Not sure, I think he had to erase it cus of his closeness to the band. Not sure
tough

#4 hypnotizingchickens

hypnotizingchickens

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2707 posts
  • Joined 08-June 09

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:51 PM

hmmmm.... I can definately see that now that I think about it. Unless this is a hoax in which case it doesn't matter anyway. I mean the title screams I miss Jeremy Michael Ward and the songs are that odd brand of acid-latin music he made on Vol. 1.

#5 Guest_Vile Echo_*

Guest_Vile Echo_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:00 PM

Frankoso was cool. Why'd he erase himself?

#6 hypnotizingchickens

hypnotizingchickens

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2707 posts
  • Joined 08-June 09

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:02 PM

he probably had people messaging him all the time asking him ridiculous questions because of, like stated above, his closeness to the band. It's hard to be the bringer of news without wanting to fucking kill the people your bringing the news to eventually. So he chose suicide.

#7 Jack Austin Gilbert 7

Jack Austin Gilbert 7

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1312 posts
  • Joined 15-April 07
  • Interests:Unanimous wedge, baby

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:00 AM

This dude is Frankoso in disguise. Or Omar in disguise. Or Cedric in disguise.

RIGHT GUYS??

EDIT: In all seriousness though, that makes sense. They were recorded at a similar time and sound like they could be pretty closely related. That's cool if it's true. That said, AMTHGF > AMDV1

#8 crimsonKOOKS

crimsonKOOKS

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • Joined 25-November 05

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:18 AM

that's some interesting news, poor frankoso, never talked to the dude but he seemed cool.
and with that said i might have to give Absence a few more listens to check out the similarities.

#9 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 14208 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:26 AM

Doesn't make sense to me, if it was a soundtrack divided on two parts why are both records so different?

#10 Jack Austin Gilbert 7

Jack Austin Gilbert 7

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1312 posts
  • Joined 15-April 07
  • Interests:Unanimous wedge, baby

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:40 AM

They don't seem very different to me, Absence has a little bit more guitar but it also has a very urban, electronic sound the way AMD does.

#11 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 14208 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 08 December 2009 - 04:40 AM

I don't know, the songs are very different, AMD has a very distinctive feel that Absence doesn't have, songs like Here The Tame Go By or Of Blood Blue Blisters

"(Abscence) is one of four solo albums completed in 2001 by Omar Rodriguez-Lopez during the interim period following the demise of At the Drive-In and the formation of The Mars Volta. It was tracked only a few weeks after A Manual Dexterity: Soundtrack Volume One and features tracks that were originally intended for use by The Mars Volta"

#12 4d4m

4d4m

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Joined 22-October 09

Posted 08 December 2009 - 02:38 PM

makes sense to me :)

"(Abscence) is one of four solo albums completed in 2001 by Omar Rodriguez-Lopez during the interim period following the demise of At the Drive-In and the formation of The Mars Volta. It was tracked only a few weeks after A Manual Dexterity: Soundtrack Volume One and features tracks that were originally intended for use by The Mars Volta"

i mean, omar did so fucking much in 2001. in the beginning of the year he was still touring with at the drive in. in summer he was touring with defacto and released 3 records with them.
in october i think the mars volta already started playing shows.
and somewhere in between he made the omar&jeremy ward collab, shot A Manual Dexterity and recorded two soundtracks for it....

also:
listen to the very end of Absence (i mean the very end of "Of Ankles To Stone"), now listen to the beginning dyna sark arches...

#13 somber_vertigo

somber_vertigo

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • Joined 09-April 05

Posted 08 December 2009 - 07:55 PM

makes sense to me :)

i mean, omar did so fucking much in 2001. in the beginning of the year he was still touring with at the drive in. in summer he was touring with defacto and released 3 records with them.
in october i think the mars volta already started playing shows.
and somewhere in between he made the omar&jeremy ward collab, shot A Manual Dexterity and recorded two soundtracks for it....

also:
listen to the very end of Absence (i mean the very end of "Of Ankles To Stone"), now listen to the beginning dyna sark arches...

WOW, I'd never noticed that. The sonic connection makes sense. I always thought those two tracks sounded pretty similar, but I couldn't put my finger on why. I just thought they were both pretty funky.

#14 WhoAreThePatriots

WhoAreThePatriots

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1243 posts
  • Joined 12-October 06

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:20 PM

Never noticed that! nice find.

#15 Seattleite

Seattleite

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2801 posts
  • Joined 07-September 07

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:32 PM

damn. i never noticed this either. i like vol. 1 better ; ) but absence is still great. probably just need to listen to it more..

#16 somber_vertigo

somber_vertigo

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • Joined 09-April 05

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:40 PM

I never really clicked with AMD, personally. It's still a fantastic album. It just doesn't move me/affect me like the others do.

Something I'd like to point out: Absence is striking to me because it's a fairly straightforward guitar album. Sure there's layering and weird effects, but for the most part, it's one of Omar's harder guitar albums. This is interesting because that's not something he was really doing, and for him to have supposedly recorded on the heels of AMD is...peculiar. The guitar playing on AMD is very atmospheric and light in comparison. With Absence, it's almost like he got all of the aggressive, intense guitarwork out of his system from working with ATDI and didn't return to that style for years. I don't consider Omar comfortable with guitar playing until maybe Amputecture, and I think it was around that time when he told an interviewer that he was starting to feel comfortable playing the guitar as a guitar instead of trying to make it sound like something else.

#17 feelsgoodman

feelsgoodman

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5243 posts
  • Joined 04-June 05
  • Interests:MUSIC

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:20 PM

yeah, I was always under the impression that Absence was intended for TMV

Not sure why Omar would be like OH BY THE WAY

#18 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 14208 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:24 PM

yeah, I was always under the impression that Absence was intended for TMV

Abscence has parts that later made it into Teflon, Cygnus, Cassandra and Eriatarka.

#19 feelsgoodman

feelsgoodman

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5243 posts
  • Joined 04-June 05
  • Interests:MUSIC

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:45 PM

...yes i know...

#20 Deni

Deni

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1336 posts
  • Joined 20-November 05
  • Interests:LEGO, Music, Marketing, Movies

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:49 PM

everyone put this in your sign: IF YOU EVER GET TO MEET OMAR, ASK HIM IS AMTHGF Manual Dexterity: vol 2! Then come home and post that answer here!

EoD :closedeyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users