IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

BattlesA band

• Please log in to reply
1452 replies to this topic

#1441 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9107 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:49 AM

I like the new song. I'm interested to see where they go and how they can innovate without Dave. It actually sounds closer to Mirrored than anything since that time imo

I've been listening to La Di Da Di a fair bit recently and I think I appreciate and understand it more each time I listen to it. I understand why the initial reception wa slightly tepid but I think it is a great, underrated album.

#1442 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5922 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 10 December 2019 - 03:48 AM

Saw them live last night.  Stellar performance as always.  They really mix up some of the newer songs into something almost like a DJ mix.  For some reason they played a tiny venue in Chicago.  Some cool cat with an Amputechture shirt was behind me and my tall ass was blocking him.  

Also just saw that Boiler Room dropped a pro video of a 45 minute set.  

https://www.youtube....h?v=ykreaqn3Zmo

#1443 Ghost Of Shark Horse

Ghost Of Shark Horse

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1612 posts
  • Joined 15-June 15

Posted 10 December 2019 - 07:52 PM

Saw them a few weeks back in Brighton and they were fucking great despite playing to a half empty room. Got to speak to them after and they were really cool. I agree with the DJ mix of songs - was a good night. Good times.

#1444 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5922 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 10 December 2019 - 10:48 PM

Saw them a few weeks back in Brighton and they were fucking great despite playing to a half empty room. Got to speak to them after and they were really cool. I agree with the DJ mix of songs - was a good night. Good times.

I'm kind of shocked their popularity tanked so hard.  I get they peaked a long time ago, but its just weird that they went from playing decent size venues to this.

#1445 Ghost Of Shark Horse

Ghost Of Shark Horse

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1612 posts
  • Joined 15-June 15

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:43 PM

I'm kind of shocked their popularity tanked so hard.  I get they peaked a long time ago, but its just weird that they went from playing decent size venues to this.

Yeah I completely agree. I guess people move on to other bands or forget to check up on what they are doing? What I do know is they played their hearts out at the gig that I went to and the crowd was really flat. Is a shame...

#1446 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 12 December 2019 - 08:50 PM

I was such a big fan back in 2006/7. I remember going to their concert in '07, that was the last night when smoking was allowed inside public buildings, in Holland. Everyone smoked so much, it was ridiculous

#1447 popeonarope

popeonarope

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Joined 13-May 11

Posted 19 December 2019 - 06:18 AM

All there albums are fantastic, even without Tyondai. It's a shame they fell off when it comes to attracting crowds =/

#1448 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5922 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 19 December 2019 - 01:29 PM

All there albums are fantastic, even without Tyondai. It's a shame they fell off when it comes to attracting crowds =/

I still stand by the belief Tyondai was the weak link in that band.  His insistence on using all those wacky vocal effects was fine on one or two songs, but not a whole album.

#1449 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 19 December 2019 - 09:30 PM

Tyondai's role was more than wacky vocals

#1450 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5922 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 20 December 2019 - 03:38 AM

Tyondai's role was more than wacky vocals

I understand, but he was also the soul source of excessive chipmunk jabberwocky

#1451 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4685 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 20 December 2019 - 08:35 PM

I still stand by the belief Tyondai was the weak link in that band.  His insistence on using all those wacky vocal effects was fine on one or two songs, but not a whole album.

That's a rather bizarre assertion considering that mirrored is widely considered their best album and a classic of that era of indie-prog-math rock (not sure what you'd call it), and their popularity has been in steady decline since then (as has, in my opinion, the quality of their music). Don't get me wrong - I like gloss drop, but it lacks the magic of Mirrored. 

#1452 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5922 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 21 December 2019 - 06:40 PM

All there albums are fantastic, even without Tyondai. It's a shame they fell off when it comes to attracting crowds =/

I still stand by the belief Tyondai was the weak link in that band. His insistence on using all those wacky vocal effects was fine on one or two songs, but not a whole album.

That's a rather bizarre assertion considering that mirrored is widely considered their best album and a classic of that era of indie-prog-math rock (not sure what you'd call it), and their popularity has been in steady decline since then (as has, in my opinion, the quality of their music). Don't get me wrong - I like gloss drop, but it lacks the magic of Mirrored.

I'm aware. I have warmed up to Mirrored a lot more over time. I used to dislike it for the most part. I even owned the Atlas single on vinyl instead of the whole album. I just enjoy Gloss Drop way more. I think it's a wonderful balance of ideas that reflect Battles' love and respect for looping and interconnecting musical themes. You got poppy stuff like Ice Cream, focus mathy stuff like Futura, experimental Rolls Boyce, and even an epic in Sundome. To me it's just such a great package front to back that balances the weird and the fun remarkably. To me that was peak Battles.

Ladidadi and Juice are definitely weaker in contrast but I still think they are making wildly enjoyable music that blends a lot of ideas that are tantilizing on the surface level and have a lot moments for music nerds to sink their teeth into.

Hence I just don't really care that Tyondai is gone. I know he's a solid composer, his solo stuff is pretty great, especially Hive1, but I don't miss his contribution to Battles.

#1453 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • 9107 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11

Posted 22 December 2019 - 02:21 AM

All there albums are fantastic, even without Tyondai. It's a shame they fell off when it comes to attracting crowds =/

I still stand by the belief Tyondai was the weak link in that band. His insistence on using all those wacky vocal effects was fine on one or two songs, but not a whole album.
I'm aware. I have warmed up to Mirrored a lot more over time. I used to dislike it for the most part. I even owned the Atlas single on vinyl instead of the whole album. I just enjoy Gloss Drop way more. I think it's a wonderful balance of ideas that reflect Battles' love and respect for looping and interconnecting musical themes. You got poppy stuff like Ice Cream, focus mathy stuff like Futura, experimental Rolls Boyce, and even an epic in Sundome. To me it's just such a great package front to back that balances the weird and the fun remarkably. To me that was peak Battles.

Ladidadi and Juice are definitely weaker in contrast but I still think they are making wildly enjoyable music that blends a lot of ideas that are tantilizing on the surface level and have a lot moments for music nerds to sink their teeth into.

Hence I just don't really care that Tyondai is gone. I know he's a solid composer, his solo stuff is pretty great, especially Hive1, but I don't miss his contribution to Battles.
I completely agree. Never got the hype around Mirrored and the comparative lack of hype around Gloss Drop.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users