IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

How did you first learn about The Mars Volta?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Bedlampuhedron

Bedlampuhedron

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3378 posts
  • Joined 17-May 11
  • Interests:wind turbines gave me diabetes

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:18 AM

I was in high school. My favorite musicians were RHCP, Tool, Radiohead, Bob Dylan, Zeppelin, Smashing Pumpins, Nirvana, etc.

Back then there was this thing on Facebook where you could show which songs you had been listening to. One of my friends had Roulette Dares on hers. I listened to it and thought it sucked, mainly because the singer's voice was so high it sounded kinda gay and I thought they were doing a kind of emo pop punk thing. I kno it sounds silly but I was young.

Anyway a friend of mine who was a fantastic drummer and in a band and huge Tool fan suggested to me TMV, so I listened to Deloused and it took me a bit to totally get it but by the time Frances came out I bought it the first day.

#2 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9478 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 11 June 2017 - 10:59 PM

Fb didn't exist before Frances

#3 Unt1tled

Unt1tled

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Joined 16-June 08

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:08 PM

Pandora, searching for prog rock. Curiously, it's possibly the only "prog-labeled" band that i still listen to nowadays. 

#4 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4186 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:36 PM

My first exposure to O+C was hearing One-Armed Scissor on the radio at a friend's house in about fourth grade. The "million miles away" lyric and melody really stuck with me. Then that same friend, years later, sat me down and played the entirety of Frances the Mute and I remember actually being pissed at him because the music was so "out there" and challenging. More years went by and I started developing my own tastes, and I think I searched for something like "best albums" and De-Loused came up. Weirdly, it was Pitchfork's review that made me want to actually buy De-Loused. Rest is history.

#5 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

WHAT IS MY PROBLEM??

• Members
  • 8517 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11
  • Interests:Cross dressing
    gang bangin

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:29 AM

I heard ATDI was a good post-hardcore band so I bought this station is non operational and was p much obsessed with it the summer of 2009. Obviously looked up what happened to them And and listened to Volta. I think Goliath was the first song I heard

#6 scorpio

scorpio

Goliath

• Coma Donor
  • 4569 posts
  • Joined 13-June 05

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:43 AM

I knew about At the Drive-In from the radio and One Armed Scissor. They were okay but I didn't care that much. I remember reading in Rolling Stone or Spin that two of the guys from At the Drive In started a new band but I didn't bother about it. Then one day I was driving home from dropping my son off at his girlfriend's house (he was 15 and didn't drive yet) and I heard The Widow on the radio and thought "OMG! WTF?" The announcer said if was from The Mars Volta's new album Francis the Mute. I IMMEDIATELY drove to Barnes and Noble and bought the album. Then played it. And went "huh?" I remember telling them at work a few days later that I just discovered the best band in the world or the worst, I wasn't sure. I then quickly became obsessed and saw them in concert for the first of 5 different times plus 2 Omar's.

#7 NOCTOURNICUNT

NOCTOURNICUNT

martin luther you're an angel

• Fairy
  • PipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Joined 23-April 17

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:49 AM

Well I was a fan of ATDI before and had bought ROC but I was pretty young and I'm not sure at the time I knew it was the same guys at first. I just saw the video for Inertiatic ESP on MTV2 and made sure to record it on VHS the next time it was played. Had never heard anything like it and I watched that tape on a daily basis until I saved up my dinner money that week or so and could go into town and buy that album.

Also being so young when that video came out I thought that Jeremy was their special needs friend or something. Although I see now he was probably just on drugs but watch that video and you could see how I came to that conclusion.

#8 Bedlampuhedron

Bedlampuhedron

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3378 posts
  • Joined 17-May 11

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:50 AM

That's so weird, maybe I was thinking of Amputechture? I know I first heard Roulette Dares on facebook, back when it was like a new thing and someone had to invite you on before you could make an account

#9 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2708 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:50 AM

Interesting to see the number of ATDI converts. It's obviously a thing but I didn't know that much of a thing.

I used to frequent a Half-Life forum in my teens. Many of my posts were in the "what are you listening to" thread where it would usually be some Zeppelin bootleg and I would get chastised for only listening to music from before 1982. then in august 2006 someone told me i should check out TMV, they said something like "deloused is their best work, but you should check out frances the mute". so i went down to best buy and got the last, cracked copy and popped it into my pc. i remember thinking how lame sarcophagi sounded when i was expecting something as powerful as zeppelin and then we all know where it goes from there. i never looked back. i felt very spoiled having amputechture come out a few weeks later. that forum post saved my musical palate, since listening to them i've gotten into SO MUCH stuff outside of classic rock - that was literally all i used to listen to.

#10 Bedlampuhedron

Bedlampuhedron

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3378 posts
  • Joined 17-May 11

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:55 AM

Yeah I remember hearing ATDI on the radio a few times but never cared about them until I got into TMV and researched their history

#11 scorpio

scorpio

Goliath

• Coma Donor
  • 4569 posts
  • Joined 13-June 05

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:21 AM

@deluge... After all this time, all this time, I never saw that video. Haha, I can see how you came to that conclusion about jeremy. I also hate when the music and the band doesn't match up. Still I wish I could go back in time and see that band.

#12 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 9478 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:39 AM

Interesting to see the number of ATDI converts. It's obviously a thing but I didn't know that much of a thing.

I used to frequent a Half-Life forum in my teens. Many of my posts were in the "what are you listening to" thread where it would usually be some Zeppelin bootleg and I would get chastised for only listening to music from before 1982. then in august 2006 someone told me i should check out TMV, they said something like "deloused is their best work, but you should check out frances the mute". so i went down to best buy and got the last, cracked copy and popped it into my pc. i remember thinking how lame sarcophagi sounded when i was expecting something as powerful as zeppelin and then we all know where it goes from there. i never looked back. i felt very spoiled having amputechture come out a few weeks later. that forum post saved my musical palate, since listening to them i've gotten into SO MUCH stuff outside of classic rock - that was literally all i used to listen to.

got to hear frances via my then gf before she actually was my gf. it was in 2007 or so. she just played the album and we smoked some weed, it was awesome. i borrowed the cd from her and listened to it non stop and exclusively for weeks. and then she came to get the cd from me again later, the cd was like an excuse to see each other again. i remember loving it completely. also the booklet. the lyrics of the missing song behind the cd. the artwork by storm. the spanish and english bilingual approach. the ambient pieces. the long freak out jam at the end. the circular structure. i thought, dude is this for real? does this band really exist?? because the music was doing exactly what i wanted it to do. i remember miranda kicking in after the cricket moment and i was like whattttt?? this is still the album??? and like, i loved the widow, but the moment that whole song breaks down and goes crazy. damn. and l'via too. jeez.
like swansong said, it got me out of classic rock completely, finally.

#13 temporal lob

temporal lob

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 187 posts
  • Joined 02-September 13

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:41 AM

Heard One Armed Scissor on the radio and bought ROC immediately.
Then they broke up. When Deloused came out, I couldn't believe they had combined the punk aggression of ATDI with Yes, Rush, Crimson type prog, and a bit of Caravanseri era Santana thrown in. I was hooked instantly.

#14 Super Mailman

Super Mailman

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 151 posts
  • Joined 26-March 16

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:09 AM

My brother let me borrow his copy of De-loused when it came out. Loved it right away. He doesn't listen to TMV anymore but he saw ATDI with me last year.

One day I wanted to listen to them again but I couldn't remember the name of the band. I kept mixing them up with Mercury Rev on name alone - I think you can work out why.

I'd heard Inertiatic ESP on the radio a couple of times thinking Cedric was a woman, and the promo vid on TV fixed all that. This would've been around when they played Big Day Out in Aus. I realised who it was, that crazy band with the golden head on the album cover. Then it was non-stop listening to the album and live EP, and downloading any live footage I could.

Being able to look forward to the follow-up album was a fun thing, 'The Widow' video! I bought the Frances the Mute CD when it came out and joined this forum as I wanted to clarify what was going on by the track numbering - 5 songs over 12 tracks? The 'movement' names are still wrong in iTunes and Spotify.

One Armed Scissor re-appeared on TV around that same time, it blew my mind because I'm sure I heard it before, I ended up buying the This Station Is Non-Operational, and maybe Tremulant on the same day.

I first saw TMV in 2006 at the Enmore. Amazing. Seeing Cedric and Omar live is always a treat. I haven't missed a tour yet.

I ended up re-buying all the albums on vinyl later on with Amputechture, Please Heat This Eventually and Se Dice Bisonte, No Búfalo being among the first.

I've met some great people through here and this band opened me up to a whole range of different music and film. It's a beautiful thing.

#15 Bane Fubar

Bane Fubar

©ubic litre

• Banned
  • 32781 posts
  • Joined 16-February 07

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:47 AM

That's so weird, maybe I was thinking of Amputechture? I know I first heard Roulette Dares on facebook, back when it was like a new thing and someone had to invite you on before you could make an account

Facebook did in fact exist before Frances came out. The thing was FB was only available to college students when it first started. Also, Frances leaked six months or so before it officially hit record stores.

#16 chris_b

chris_b

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Joined 17-November 03
  • Interests:Playing guitar and making noises with my vast amount of effects.

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:53 AM

I was a huge Frusciante fan and he would talk in interviews about his favourite band being this band called The Mars Volta and how he was on their album so i waited and waited until deloused got released and bought it as soon as it came out purely cos i bought everything frusciante played on. Was hooked immediately.

#17 indrossi

indrossi

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Coma Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3736 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Cats and foxes.

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:56 AM

What's a Mars Volta?

#18 Bedlampuhedron

Bedlampuhedron

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3378 posts
  • Joined 17-May 11

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:45 PM

Facebook did in fact exist before Frances came out. The thing was FB was only available to college students when it first started. Also, Frances leaked six months or so before it officially hit record stores.

I dunno exactly when, but Facebook spread pretty quickly through my high school, and you had to be invited by someone already on it. I also had Livejournal and MySpace pages before that haha.

And damn, I wish I had been cool enough or Internet-savvy enough to get that Frances leak. I think at that point I was still downloading shit off limewire

#19 Andrewf

Andrewf

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3147 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:19 PM

Was hearing a frusciante interview in 2009 where he said that he plays guitar on the new mars volta album. It was octahedron. I checked it out and it completely blew my mind and its still my favorite album. I also remember listening to TMV because i thought it would "prepare" me for the more "challenging" king crimson. Turned out that TMV was more challenging

#20 Jehu

Jehu

I like to drive

• Members
  • 6100 posts
  • Joined 03-November 08
  • Interests:Mostly driving
  • Twitter

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:48 PM

It was 08 and TMV had played in Toronto on the Bedlam tour. A few guys from my school who went were going off about these massive jam sessions, this lunatic drummer and how some guy named Cedric threw a trash bin at one of them. My best friend bought De-Loused, I bought Frances. Life = changed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users