IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

How did you first learn about The Mars Volta?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 olympusmons

olympusmons

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Joined 25-April 06

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:55 PM

I liked ATDI. Listened to Vaya and ROC. The memories are hazy and fading, but I somehow missed the Tremulant release. Then I remember one day at work I was online looking for news about ATDI wondering what they did after they split, and found an article on nme.com announcing the new album from The Mars Volta, Deloused in the Comatorium. They streamed it before its instore release date (maybe it was RealPlayer, remember that shit?). I bookmarked that page and played it non stop, and could not fucking wait until I bought the CD to hear it properly. The house I was living in at the time had hardwood floors, so when I first played the disc through my stereo, after listening to very shitty 2003 streaming audio, that album ERUPTED (hence my name here once I found this forum) and completely, utterly, and most joyously blew me away. They were a band I found on my own-- no one turned me on to them. I was hooked.

#22 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2309 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:39 AM

2004......was big into Metallica at the time and was starting to get into the chili peppers. Reading interviews in rolling stone at different times that year with Lars from Metallica and the guys from the chili peppers and they'd go on about how they all loved this crazy new band called the mars Volta, saying the shows were insane and they jammed a ton. Being also a big zeppelin fan and loving heavy rock bands that jam, I bought deloused in 2004. Went to my first show in 2005 on the Frances tour. Been hooked ever since.

#23 hxcoliver

hxcoliver

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Joined 30-December 09

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:42 AM

I was about 14 or so, a sophomore in high school. Was getting into classic rock that year, and was listening to zeppelin almost all day. So a friend said I should check out The Mars Volta, that they had a similar sound and vibe as Zeppelin. it was right around the time that Frances had just been released so I bought it when I saw it at Best Buy or somewhere, without ever hearing anything before hand. I was instantly hooked. I listened to that on repeat for weeks. It was the only CD I carried with me on my CD player for that time. I couldn't stop listening to it, I seriously had never heard anything like it and loved every second of it. I too thought it was a girl singer for a little bit until I saw The Widow video and realized it was a guy.

Shortly after I heard of At The Drive In. There was a commercial for This Station Is Non Operational, I wasn't in the same room as the TV, but I instantly recognized the voice. I ran in thinking it was new Mars Volta or something. But it was so much wilder and this thing called At The Drive In. I was so confused but immediately looked into it and learned it was their previous band. As soon as that CD came out I bought that too.

Have been obsessed since that first listen. Even have a Volta related tattoo.

#24 AllyLviaquez

AllyLviaquez

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • Joined 10-June 17
  • Interests:My name is Alinne. I'm in Journalism and English Language school. Feel free to contact me.

Favorite songs: Aegis, Televators, Asilos Magdalena, Goliath, Ilyena, Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt, Empty Vessels Make The Loudest Sound, Inertiatic ESP, Cicatriz ESP, Roulette Dares, Eriatarka, This Apparatus Must Be Unearthed, The Widow, L'via L'viaquez.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:43 AM

One of my best friends was obsessed with them back in high school

I liked them but never really paid much of attention. I was into metalcore & plastic posthc stuff

Now that i've started to listen more prog bands, found Mars stuff on spotify and now i'm a true fan 

Together with really insteresting and unique bands such as Fall of Troy, Dance Gavin Dance, Stolas & Sianvar.

After Omar this is my favorite guitar beast, Sergio Medina!

You guys should check him out

#25 Yavimaya

Yavimaya

I got custom skanx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17638 posts
  • Joined 13-April 11

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:25 AM

my brother introduced me to the 2 popular ATDI songs, then years later i heard L'Via (radio edit) on triple J, i loved it, but didnt think i paid too much attention.

a few years after that i was looking for bat shit crazy music, something that seemed impossibly insane and off putting, i then went through some songs i had on my HDD - having DL'd some TMV and stored without realising it was THAT band earlier on, having not liked it -  and i found L'Via..... from then on i knew that i had to buy the rest of the albums, so i went and bought them all, then proceeded to find out how great they are.

i needed that music to get me through my hardest / busiest time at work and it worked perfectly. got me through doing 2 peoples fulltime work for 6 weeks till my staff come back. :smile:

thank you O +C.

#26 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7025 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09
  • Interests:Bassplaying, drawing, CD-collecting, reading, thinking
  • Facebook

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:38 AM

I was a huge Frusciante fan and he would talk in interviews about his favourite band being this band called The Mars Volta and how he was on their album so i waited and waited until deloused got released and bought it as soon as it came out purely cos i bought everything frusciante played on. Was hooked immediately.

Damn, you're a veteran! Support and respect. :wink:

#27 A.N.Other

A.N.Other

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2898 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:17 AM

Same story: RHCP led to Frusciante led to Omar/Volta. What's unusual is that I actually heard Calibration before anything by TMV.

#28 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2564 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:35 PM

Deloused was the latest from the boys. A friend of mine showed me a live performance of Drunkship. I thought it was interesting but wasn't sure if it was my cup of tea. This was probably late 2004, maybe early 2005.

Until I saw System of a Down in August 2005. I arrived with a few buddies and knew TMV were one of the opening bands. One of them got us tickets because his dad worked at the arena. But we were late. We arrived and had to get our tickets from this girl who "had to look into it". Fuck, I can hear the music above me. We raced up the escalators and stormed through the curtain, what the fuck is this music?? We start rushing down the aisle, lights dim, pot smoke of course, WAILING. Trying to find our seats but I couldn't help but stare at the stage. I couldn't believe it. Flags everywhere. Dudes with Afros, the singer is dressed really slick all in black and super light on his feet. Is this dude the next Michael Jackson, the next Robert Plant or the next wtf? Shirtless drummer going apeshit. Sax player, percussionist, etc etc. There must be like 7 ppl on stage. The backdrop was trippy as fuck. And they're definitely jamming SOMETHING. We take our seats and my jaw is on the floor. Everyone I see is either looking the same or nudging their friend with an expression like "this is weird, wtf is this shit?". 2/3 of them didn't get it. But the energy in the place was interesting to say the least. Both of my friends didn't care for it, I can tell, but I was mesmerized (get it, SoaD, 2005...k bad joke).

It was salsa, it was jazz, it was punk rock, it was funk. System were great later that night, but I found myself thinking of TMV a bit as they were playing. It's honestly my favorite show of all time and I missed half of it, but the feeling was so powerful that I've never been able to shake it off. I UNDERSTOOD them. I came for System (still one of my favorite bands) but I left with a new favorite.

I think it was Cedric who smoked a joint with Shavo during the SoaD set. Lol, I don't know if this was a regular thing on that tour?

I bought Frances a few days later. LOVED THE ARTWORK. Sat in my room, pitch black, headphones. Listened to the whole thing and it took me to a whole new place. When it ended I said "that's one of my top 10 favorite records of all time". It's still in my top 10.

#29 Jehu

Jehu

I like to drive

• Members
  • 6092 posts
  • Joined 03-November 08
  • Interests:Mostly driving
  • Twitter

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:39 PM

I think it was Cedric who smoked a joint with Shavo during the SoaD set. Lol, I don't know if this was a regular thing on that tour?

#30 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 9397 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:48 PM

Deloused was the latest from the boys. A friend of mine showed me a live performance of Drunkship. I thought it was interesting but wasn't sure if it was my cup of tea. This was probably late 2004, maybe early 2005.

Until I saw System of a Down in August 2005. I arrived with a few buddies and knew TMV were one of the opening bands. One of them got us tickets because his dad worked at the arena. But we were late. We arrived and had to get our tickets from this girl who "had to look into it". Fuck, I can hear the music above me. We raced up the escalators and stormed through the curtain, what the fuck is this music?? We start rushing down the aisle, lights dim, pot smoke of course, WAILING. Trying to find our seats but I couldn't help but stare at the stage. I couldn't believe it. Flags everywhere. Dudes with Afros, the singer is dressed really slick all in black and super light on his feet. Is this dude the next Michael Jackson, the next Robert Plant or the next wtf? Shirtless drummer going apeshit. Sax player, percussionist, etc etc. There must be like 7 ppl on stage. The backdrop was trippy as fuck. And they're definitely jamming SOMETHING. We take our seats and my jaw is on the floor. Everyone I see is either looking the same or nudging their friend with an expression like "this is weird, wtf is this shit?". 2/3 of them didn't get it. But the energy in the place was interesting to say the least. Both of my friends didn't care for it, I can tell, but I was mesmerized (get it, SoaD, 2005...k bad joke).

It was salsa, it was jazz, it was punk rock, it was funk. System were great later that night, but I found myself thinking of TMV a bit as they were playing. It's honestly my favorite show of all time and I missed half of it, but the feeling was so powerful that I've never been able to shake it off. I UNDERSTOOD them. I came for System (still one of my favorite bands) but I left with a new favorite.

I bought Frances a few days later. LOVED THE ARTWORK. Sat in my room, pitch black, headphones. Listened to the whole thing and it took me to a whole new place. When it ended I said "that's one of my top 10 favorite records of all time". It's still in my top 10.

honestly an A+ post

dude, i could totally feel your enthusiasm while reading it :-D

:-)

#31 brucef

brucef

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Joined 26-February 16

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:48 PM

Same history first RHCP--->Frusciante--->TMV--->then--->ORL--->my head have a explosion lol

#32 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2564 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:33 PM

I've been a Peppers fan since 92ish. Once I learned that TMV had a connection to those guys, not only did it make sense but I think it made me like Volta even more.

#33 Fubes

Fubes

Ā©ubic litre

• Members
  • 32453 posts
  • Joined 16-February 07

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:52 AM

13 years ago, I was in a bathroom, puking. Not sure where. Might have been public. Might have been a domicile. Didn't matter. Blood was coming up. All I could care about was my health. How did I reach this point? How did I fall this far? Tears were coming from eyes at one point more than whatever my stomach could produce. I was done. My life was over. It was time to reset. There was a knock at the door. "Are you OK?" I couldn't make out the voice. Another knock. Shit. How do I respond? I turned on the faucet, just to drown out the sound of my dry heeves. I could barely muster a response, "I'm OK just give me minute." They responded with offering help and I ignored them. I needed time. Time was my friend. I sat on the lip of the bathtub and held a towel drenched in cold water over my head. That's when I noticed something slip under the bathroom door. It was unwrapped copy of Deloused from Best Buy. And that's how I first learned about The Mars Volta.

#34 indrossi

indrossi

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3425 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Cats and foxes.

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:55 AM

13 years ago, I was in a bathroom, puking. Not sure where. Might have been public. Might have been a domicile. Didn't matter. Blood was coming up.

Damn dude, you lived your best life too soon. 

#35 EmbraceTheH2O

EmbraceTheH2O

(“-`).。oO( ... )

• Members
  • 15546 posts
  • Joined 31-March 04
  • Interests:rock'nroll, penny lane, brains, robits, waves~
  • Twitter

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:16 AM

hs freshmanz 2004, realplayer suggested some prog rocknroll and both the mars volta and at the drive-in appeared. i believe it was back2back of intertiatic esp, televators, then one armed scissor WTF

whooooshhhh

#36 shiggityshwo

shiggityshwo

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 193 posts
  • Joined 20-August 08

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:26 AM

College, came back to my apartment after a drunken night downtown, turned on the tv as I flopped on the bed, The Widow was playing.

I distinctly remember getting up to write the credits down on a piece of paper afterwards so I wouldn't forget, which led to me downloading multiple versions solely made up of the electronic drum outro, as well as Concertina, and what I later realized was the demo version of Eria Tarka, from I guess Kazaa or whatever i was using.

Anyway, fell in love with those two songs, and the rest, as they say, is  history

Funny story while we're on the subject, I was listening to Take the Veil for the first time, already had about 6-7 songs by then, and I remember thinking, "man, if only they had some kind of groove jam to go with all of this beautifully intense music," and then it happened...

#37 Super Mailman

Super Mailman

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts
  • Joined 26-March 16

Posted 18 June 2017 - 02:53 PM

College, came back to my apartment after a drunken night downtown, turned on the tv as I flopped on the bed, The Widow was playing.

I distinctly remember getting up to write the credits down on a piece of paper afterwards so I wouldn't forget, which led to me downloading multiple versions solely made up of the electronic drum outro, as well as Concertina, and what I later realized was the demo version of Eria Tarka, from I guess Kazaa or whatever i was using.

Anyway, fell in love with those two songs, and the rest, as they say, is  history

Funny story while we're on the subject, I was listening to Take the Veil for the first time, already had about 6-7 songs by then, and I remember thinking, "man, if only they had some kind of groove jam to go with all of this beautifully intense music," and then it happened...

did you download 'Eat the Sun' too?

#38 logos

logos

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2066 posts
  • Joined 11-December 04

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:27 PM

A Perfect Circle tour. I wanted to check out the opening band, plus I heard the praise from Metallica (lol) which was still "cool" at the time for high school kids. Theodore was soaking wet with sweat. Ikey was rocking out hard. Cedric was hitting the cymbals by kicking over his mic stand.

#39 Deni

Deni

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1324 posts
  • Joined 20-November 05
  • Interests:LEGO, Music, Marketing, Movies

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:50 PM

During 2004 I was overwhelmed by Fruciante's Record Collection series. Back than there was a mesaage board called Frusciante.net (if I'm not mistaken). Some of the members were hyped by the new band called Mars Volta, adn their record on which Flea and Fru played. Well, as a 15year old fanboy of RHCP I had to check it out. Few months later Frances was released, and rest is history.
Btw there was a competition on Fru.net. we had to find all the parts of Frances album cover (? I think) and tell in which topics are they hidden, to win a copy.

Fun days

Anyone still active from those days?

#40 Persian Guilt

Persian Guilt

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 22-July 09

Posted Yesterday, 04:09 AM

I don't even know if I've ever posted anything before. I usually just lurk to get news on anything TMV/ORL related, but here goes: I was 13 and saw the infamous MTV latin awards performance. My first thoughts were "this is fucking ridiculous!" and not in a good way, but I was mystified by that performance and their music videos, so one day I was at a record store and they happened to have De-Loused. I bought it because the artwork was just as weird as the band, and here we are, many years later, listening to many versions of "Sea is Rising".

TMV was my gateway drug to a ton of different bands and styles, and it feels awesome to have that, even if the band isn't really active anymore. I never had the chance to catch any of their live shows, I had tickets to the Barcelona gig in '05 because I was living there at the time but they cancelled because Omar was sick. :(

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Alexa (1)