IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Them Crooked VulturesLeaked

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 Drea666

Drea666

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 238 posts
  • Joined 14-May 05
  • Interests:The Mars Volta, Indianapolis colts,

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:42 AM

this album is frucking amazing...homme is the standout though imo

#22 dmac27

dmac27

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Joined 22-April 08
  • Interests:Music, live or otherwise, playing guitar.

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:56 AM

I heard this last night, and I was a little disappointed. I had fairly high expectations with the line up, but I thought it sounded a little over produced if you can do that. I was hoping for a heavier/rockier (is that a word???) sound. I thought Josh's vocals were good, bass was solid - obviously, but I thought Dave played it a little safe, would have liked to see him mix it up a bit more.

#23 Bane Fubar

Bane Fubar

Twat.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32781 posts
  • Joined 16-February 07

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:30 AM

I downloaded a few of the leaked tracks ("New Fang," "Mind Eraser") and found the album on Wednesday. It has not left my CD player in my care (much like a lot of new albums I anticipate, and I must say it's perfect.

Of course it's Queens of the Stone Age! Josh Homme is QOTSA and has evolved his sound over the years by collaborating with some very special artists that includes:

Mark Lanegan
Jesse Hughes
Alain Johannes
Joey Castillo
Chris Goss
Danny
PJ Harvey
Josh Freese
Troy VanLeeuwen
Nick Oliveri
Dave Catching

The guy should be appreciated for his musical contributions. This is the next wave.

#24 boman

boman

Custom member title wave

• Members
  • 7116 posts
  • Joined 27-July 06

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:53 AM

loving this

#25 luislasports

luislasports

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts
  • Joined 31-July 08

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:57 AM

had the chance to see them at the Roxy, decided not to go when i found out tickets were 50 dollars. frikkin bullchet. who charges that much for a 400 person venue?

#26 The Soothsayer

The Soothsayer

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Joined 06-January 08

Posted 17 November 2009 - 12:30 PM

"If sex is a weapon, then smash, boom, pow! how you like me now?"
hahaha, this line is absolutely amazing, from No One Loves Me and Neither Do I

#27 Bane Fubar

Bane Fubar

Twat.

• Members
  • 32781 posts
  • Joined 16-February 07

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:19 AM

Song by song review (Feel free to add or edit)

1. "No One Loves Me & Neither Do I"
Nutshell: An unexpected way to begin an unexpected pairing of rock legends. At 2:45, this song EXPLODES! John Paul Jones' influence is clearly evident on the last half. Make sure your stereo is on FULL BLAST when you start listening. Great lyric: "I know how to be lost in lust/Not because you should/But because you must"
Sounds like: White Stripes/Led Zeppelin

2. "Mind Eraser, No Chaser"
Nutshell: The only true vocal duet of Josh Homme and Dave Grohl, with guitars likely written by Grohl. The chorus maintains a "new wave" feel unique to most modern rock tracks.
Sounds like: Foo Fighters, B52s

3. "New Fang"
Nutshell: The first song getting mainstream airplay and rightly so. A fast-paced rocker capturing Homme's signature sound.
Sounds like: Queens of the Stone Age

4. "Dead End Friends"
Nutshell: This song's verse shifts from minor to major notes, accented by xylophones and Grohl's backing vocals. The chorus brings out some shining moments we heard during the "grunge" era.
Sounds like: newer Pearl Jam, QOTSA

5. "Elephants"
Nutshell: Excellent opening, great verse, weak chorus, weaker bridge, great end. The first minute is like an adrenaline rush of guitar and drums building to a head, leading to a "Lullabies to Paralyze" era verse, accented by Grohl's 2/4 pace on the hi-hat with Jones and Grohl on backing vocals. However, the chorus is dragging and wears this song into the "filler" or "forgettable" category. Ends with the same opening.
Sounds like: QOTSA

6. "Scumbag Blues"
Nutshell: The true "highlight" of this album. Grohl's drum shine with Homme's finger-picking in between verses, followed by Jones' old-school organ solo. The chorus has a piercing guitar line from Homme that sends shivers down the spine, picked up quickly by Grohl's drums and Jones' bass.
Sounds like: Cream, Red Hot Chili Peppers

7. "Bandoliers"
Nutshell: The only considerable "ballad" song on the album. Catchy, unique, but it tends to overstay it's welcome toward the end with the final reprise.
Sounds like: Pearl Jam

8. "Reptiles"
Nutshell: This is like a throw-back to some 70s metal, with Homme's own twist. Singing on the chorus sounds like Scott Weiland.
Sounds like: Jimi Hendrix, Stone Temple Pilots

9. "Interlude with Ludes"
Nutshell: Judging by the title, Homme was going for a trippy atmosphere of garbage drums, circus organs and haunting backing vocals. Catchy and creepy all in one.
Sounds like: Beatles, Pink Floyd

10. "Warsaw or the First Breath You Take After You Give Up"
Nutshell: This one could be titled "Songs for the Deaf b-side" and you might have fooled me (remember Grohl played drums on that QOTSA album). The only factor separating this from an old Queens track is Jones' influence on the chorus. This is the first track on the album that actually jams, too, once about halfway through.
Sounds like: QOTSA, Led Zeppelin

11. "Caligulove"
Nutshell: Perhaps the first time we can say Jesse Hughes is wearing off on Homme. Contains some more of Jones' signature organ, and perhaps even his backup vocals.
Sounds like: Eagles of Death Metal

12. "Gunman"
Nutshell: This is one of the weaker tracks because of it's chorus where Homme sounds like he is making Halloween theme songs. However, it's the disco drums and the guitar/keyboard combo that creates a unique verse worth listening to.
Sounds like: Era Vulgaris

13. "Spinning in Daffodils"
Nutshell: A great way to end the album. Starts with Jones' piano and Homme's guitar scratching. Like the opening track, it gives a different ending like something dreamy from the Beatles or the Chili Peppers' "Sir Psycho Sexy." It actually carries an lasting feel like something from The Mars Volta
Sounds like: QOTSA, The Mars Volta, Beatles

#28 Haplo

Haplo

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1480 posts
  • Joined 24-October 03
  • Interests:Discipline is a means to an end, not an end itself

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:07 PM

This album sucks, and sounds like a shitty Cream cover album.

#29 Nizzim

Nizzim

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2256 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:14 PM

Im gonna have to agree, I dont see anything really standout about this album, sort of just a re-hashing of what worked really well. For me this whole record came off as boring.

and I think there may not have been enough production, as opposed to being too much. But I dont know.

I did like that review though, nice work. I feel like Dead Weather is the band with this sound thats hot right now

#30 Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts
  • Joined 13-April 07

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:58 PM

The Dead Weather doesn't really sound all too similar to this band

#31 Nizzim

Nizzim

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2256 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Posted 21 November 2009 - 05:56 PM

i mean as far as rehashed classic rock, dead weather has it in the bag right now. wolfmothers latest is good too

#32 The Soothsayer

The Soothsayer

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Joined 06-January 08

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:19 PM

i mean as far as rehashed classic rock, dead weather has it in the bag right now. wolfmothers latest is good too

#33 Nizzim

Nizzim

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2256 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:40 PM

and your a fan of the mars volta?

i rest my case

#34 seb18

seb18

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1307 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:00 AM

THIS ALBUM IS A THOUSAND VAGINAS!!!!!

#35 Ars Moriendi

Ars Moriendi

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1188 posts
  • Joined 14-August 08

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:19 AM

I knew it was going to be this video without even clicking , can't see wolfmother withouth this video

#36 FearENgiNe

FearENgiNe

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Joined 10-July 04

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:29 PM

This is album is great, enjoyable, solid rock and roll record, but its not exactly the masterpiece landmark album people are making it out to be, but the hype is always going to be way out of proportion considering the lineup. But I bet messrs. Grohl, Homme and Jones didn't set out to make a landmark masterpiece album, just a solid rock and roll album, so they probably succeeded with flying colours and are happy as shit with themselves, so thats all that really matters.

Its just always nice to hear JPJ in a band situation. Brings the swagger like no one else.

as for Wolfmother...patton says it all. Wolfmother blow.

#37 Krimson

Krimson

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Joined 13-September 06

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:54 PM

I always try to explain to my friends why I don't like Wolfmother. I try to explain to them they are just a Zeppelin want to be band.

#38 Nizzim

Nizzim

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2256 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:07 PM

Theyre not a Zeppelin wannabe band at all.

Have you heard half of Zeppelins material? You do know that like.....only a handful of their songs resemble that "fast hard rock and roll" that Wolfmother tends to go for right?

You do know that Wolfmother sound completely different right?

If anything I give them credit for pulling off that sound without sounding contrived. Im surprised some of you dont see that. weird.

As for this record, still nothing stand out about it. I dont see the point unless youre gonna try to make a banger

#39 Apolo

Apolo

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 162 posts
  • Joined 22-August 05

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:22 AM

I bet messrs. Grohl, Homme and Jones didn't set out to make a landmark masterpiece album, just a solid rock and roll album, so they probably succeeded with flying colours and are happy as shit with themselves, so thats all that really matters.

(...)

#40 adderas

adderas

RESIDENT BACKWARD FUNDAMENTALIST CHRISTIAN.

• Members
  • 6441 posts
  • Joined 23-November 09

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:57 AM

I bet messrs. Grohl, Homme and Jones didn't set out to make a landmark masterpiece album, just a solid rock and roll album, so they probably succeeded with flying colours and are happy as shit with themselves, so thats all that really matters.

(...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users