IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Mr Bungle

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 Stalktheground11

Stalktheground11

The Bling Bling Voyager Version 3.2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14170 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03
  • Interests:ROLLERBLADING

Posted 07 March 2005 - 08:16 PM

You make a good point but because of the obviousness of Santana's influence, it becomes hard to take it seriously. Regardless of how removed from what they listen to when they create music, I'm sure the band thinks of Herbie Hancock, King Crimson, Fela, Bjork and even Zeppelin while conceiving their music. However, I would still be unsure as to whether you can draw a direct, acknowledged parallel between the band and Santana. Often times, I just think that the (old) Santana just happened to arrive at the same conclusion at TMV, by way of their heritage and the merit of being an exploratory rock band.

#42 VoltaExperiment

VoltaExperiment

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Joined 03-November 03

Posted 07 March 2005 - 08:21 PM

Don't forget Can...They're definitely a confirmed influence, and I like to think that they had a bigger influence on them then bands like Led Zeppelin...

#43 [omen]

[omen]

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 07-March 05

Posted 07 March 2005 - 08:53 PM

God, great minds think alike.

It's funny that you guys brought up Bungle. After getting my official copy of FTM, I started thinking as to how it related to Deloused as a second album. It made me think of Disco Volante in relation to Bungle's self titled. In that case, Bungle was clearly trying to distance themselves from their previous effort and the sound they had established for themselves. I get that same feeling a little bit with Frances, but not as strongly. I think (and I'm guessing here, guys, so don't jump down my throat if Omar is quoted differently in some interview somewhere) that they wanted to experiment more with this album. The absence of Rubin as the producer, Omar taking over, him 'directing' the music (sounds like something Zorn might say, I might add), the long passages of what people love to describe as 'noise' or 'bullshit' but which actually take a lot of creativity and talent to come up with and execute... all of these things give me the impression that they wanted to experiment more on FTM - and if I'm not mistaken that's precisely why the left ATDI and formed this band in the first place. Anyway, this all got me thinking about their next album, and if the progression of Bungle's albums is any indication, the next album should exhibit somewhat of a return to earth in the form of pieces more easily recognizable as 'songs.' Maybe.

Then again, if Bungle was any indication they'd take years to crank out the next one and then break up soon after. I for one, pray that's not the case. :)

One more Bungle note - I remember thinking when I saw TMV at the Roseland on the last tour that they should've picked up Trevor Dunn as their bassist for touring and as Flea's replacement when they went back into the studio. The thought of them collaborating was too difficult not to fantasize about.... Trevor is a God.

[Edit - Okay, one more Bungle note: Another influence I hear a lot in this ablum is Pierre Henry (also a Bungle influence). He did a lot of shit with tape loops in the 60s and 70s and was a pioneer of electronic music. A great work of his is based on the Tibetan Book of the Dead. Crazy shit. I hear a lot of his influence in sections like the end of The Widow and the beginning of the decoder.]

#44 Caligula The Whore

Caligula The Whore

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 05-February 05

Posted 07 March 2005 - 11:00 PM

Trevor Dunn is a busy man. He'll be on the Geek Tour which is right around the corner.

#45 Shitdown

Shitdown

>>>!

• Members
  • 7649 posts
  • Joined 13-July 04
  • Interests:all things

Posted 08 March 2005 - 12:46 AM

I loves me some bungle, but I just can't see the influence.

#46 subdominant

subdominant

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03

Posted 08 March 2005 - 03:36 AM

Yea I don't really see any similarities. I like TMV and all, but they're no Bungle.

#47 SpencerSmells

SpencerSmells

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • Joined 01-March 05
  • Interests:Film, Films, Filmmaking, Drawing, Music.

Posted 24 March 2005 - 05:34 AM

I loves me some bungle, but I just can't see the influence.

View Post

I think it has to do more with the philosophy than the music. Like, Mr. Bungle's willingness to ignore people and play whatever in hell they feel like. I mean, how many rock bands have you heard do a cover of the star wars theme...

#48 prehistoric

prehistoric

Ukiyo-e

• Members
  • 9111 posts
  • Joined 28-July 04

Posted 24 March 2005 - 05:36 AM

Mr. Bungle fucking owns.

#49 Stalktheground11

Stalktheground11

The Bling Bling Voyager Version 3.2

• Members
  • 14170 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03
  • Interests:ROLLERBLADING

Posted 24 March 2005 - 05:41 AM

Bungle's shift in music style and mixture of styles was way too calculated and unnatural, in many ways, for me. And now, I find that I'm really bored with Disco Volante and California because of how kitschy and cartoonish the whole thing is. Yeah, it was fun for a while, but I can't even take it in good humor anymore. The musicianship is still outstanding, but they (and all current Mike Patton projects, except his stuff with Kaada) sound pretty weak. It's masturbatory with a smirk and while I don't doubt the passion behind the music, I think their way of doing things and creating records has really run its course. TMV sounds a lot more believable and even if more conventional, much more impassioned and emotional - instinctual, as opposed to obvious.

#50 firstrays123

firstrays123

We Do By Declare Ourselves To Be Another Art Of Being

• Members
  • 10329 posts
  • Joined 23-May 04
  • Interests:Music, School, Meditation, Friends & Family, Spirituality, Good Food, Traveling and Sun Ra

Posted 24 March 2005 - 04:57 PM

The band has so many influences that I can really see their music always evolving. I remember reading somwhere about how Cedric was commenting on the power of Wilson Picketts vocals. So you know these guys are into music, not genres, but music in general. When I listen to a Jimi Hendrix recording I have with members of traffic recorded at electric lady studios, their is a section that is very flamenco, and I can hear a lot of what Jimi was vibing off of so has Omar. If you look at musicians in the 60's and 70's, they all bounced around from band to band, or simply jammed at club's and this provided alot of the fueling power behind what I believe the mars volta takes a big chunk of their influence from. Mahavishnu has a lot to do with the bands style as well.

Also, if you can get your hands on some Miles Davis live recordings between 1970 and 1975, you will get a really good understanding of the mars volta's sound. Pete Coset fucking rips on the guitar.

#51 phalexx

phalexx

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Joined 24-August 05
  • Interests:Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Krav Maga, Tae Kwon Do, Music, Rosacrucianism, World Mythology, Bill Hicks, my little brother, Jenna Jameson, David Lynch (the man can do no wrong), Carnivale ( damn HBO for canceling), PFLAG, Frank Herbert, small dogs, tofu...

Posted 07 September 2005 - 06:18 PM

Listen to L' Via L' Viaquez and then listen to Goodbye Sober Day by Mr Bungle.
Similarities?  Well yeah, personally, I think it's awesome that they would use it, I'm sure a lot of people think they're rip offs, and I'm sure a lot of people will never even know who Mr Bungle is.

View Post

I loooooooooooooooooove mr. bungle. i adore mr. patton in all of his musical incarnations. much like legendary hero bruce campbell, the patton can do no wrong.

#52 bledblind

bledblind

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 194 posts
  • Joined 12-January 05

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:24 PM

Mr. Bungle- Travolta, if you know that tune you'll understand the following...

dadoodeedaadoodeedow....BABAPABOOMCHA!!

#53 Erubey

Erubey

Aniki

• Members
  • 5801 posts
  • Joined 01-February 05
  • Interests:Speaking Japanese, French, Spanish, and English fluently one day. <br /><br />Manual labor<br /><br />Photography<br /><br />Hitchhiking <br /><br />Graffiti/Stencil<br /><br />Panda Express<br /><br />Post rock and sludge music<br /><br />Zapatistas <br /><br />Flute/Guitar<br /><br />Eccentric people. You know who you are

Posted 07 September 2005 - 11:47 PM

Well they are a kind of joke band....and jokes get less and less funny with time.

Still for the time the joke was funny, it was one of the best around.

#54 he_who_is

he_who_is

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Joined 04-September 05

Posted 08 September 2005 - 02:08 AM

after listening to mr. bungle for many years, it is not difficult to hear the influence they have provided for so many bands. Where would incubus be with bungle, or system of a down? And then there are the subtle things they have done for music that you only pick up on from time to time. Thus bringing us to this conversation. But like all genre re-defining groups like bungle and santana, great groups in the future inevitably have to be influenced by such revoulutionary sounds, that is the natural progression of music. Unless of course TMV have never listened to music, which is a stupid thought. do you truly think that a group like TMV listens to only boy bands? No, they listen to the greats, and bungle and others are of that calibre. But after being turned on to the great jazz scene from the 60's and 70's, and then listening to FTM, i agree wholeheartedly with cybrid and firstrays123 when they noted the miles davis influence. Even though he didnt play the guitar, i think if you stripped away the miles from omar style, it would have the biggest impact, at least on FTM.

#55 trentdick2882

trentdick2882

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Joined 24-July 03

Posted 08 September 2005 - 03:12 AM

just because someone did something first does not necessarily mean the next person is influenced by them. sometimes people just have similar ideas.

ps. i had a three day headache after seeing tomahawk live

#56 Exoskeletal_Eriatarka

Exoskeletal_Eriatarka

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • Joined 24-February 04

Posted 08 September 2005 - 03:30 AM

The only similarity I really hear between "Goodbye Sober Day" and "L'Via L'Viaquez" is the respective "Goodbye sober day. Hello Milky Way" part and "Blackmailed she fell of every mountain" section. And even then its just the rythm that's similar. Plenty of people have used that salsa-ish rythm. I'm sure it dominates most spanish rock albums. No biggie, imo.

#57 Zopwx2

Zopwx2

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2631 posts
  • Joined 17-February 05

Posted 08 September 2005 - 03:44 AM

Plenty of people have used that salsa-ish rythm. I'm sure it dominates most spanish rock albums. No biggie, imo.

View Post

Yeah seriously a generic latin beat is no connection at all.

#58 manstis1804

manstis1804

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2873 posts
  • Joined 25-January 05
  • Interests:Music: making it

Posted 10 September 2005 - 12:40 AM

Yea, are you people serious.  I like the Mars Volta a lot but they are no where near as good as Bungle was.  The people on this board probably think Zeppelin is the greatest band ever.  AHAHAH What a joke that is.  I guess most people think that solos and guitar riffs make good music.  :ol_blankstare:

View Post

That's the problem with Zeppelin, "most" people like you ONLY hear the guitar riffs and solos. Listen to the rest of the band...they're amazing. Bonham and John Paul rape pretty much any rhythm section, they've got a wide array of influences from rock to pop to blues to eastern, and there is no better live band in my mind. To build up the themes and such they did live (Dazed and Confused, anyone?) with only 3 instruments is pretty unreal. Oh, and I haven't even mentioned Robert fuckin' Plant. He could be annoying at times, but when he was on, no one was better. I've never heard a singer get so much power behind high notes.

#59 manstis1804

manstis1804

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2873 posts
  • Joined 25-January 05
  • Interests:Music: making it

Posted 10 September 2005 - 12:43 AM

Bungle's shift in music style and mixture of styles was way too calculated and unnatural, in many ways, for me. And now, I find that I'm really bored with Disco Volante and California because of how kitschy and cartoonish the whole thing is. Yeah, it was fun for a while, but I can't even take it in good humor anymore. The musicianship is still outstanding, but they (and all current Mike Patton projects, except his stuff with Kaada) sound pretty weak. It's masturbatory with a smirk and while I don't doubt the passion behind the music, I think their way of doing things and creating records has really run its course. TMV sounds a lot more believable and even if more conventional, much more impassioned and emotional - instinctual, as opposed to obvious.

View Post

Awesome, awesome, awesome point. Bungle's cool, but they don't have a "sound" really. Their sound is having no certain sound, which is respectable for sure, but its annoying too. Volta is one of those bands that manages to have their sound without all the songs sounding the same, a very rare quality in a rock band.

#60 Cedric_Omar

Cedric_Omar

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Joined 12-August 05

Posted 10 September 2005 - 12:48 AM

Wow I would never have picked them as one of the Volta's influences! There are also a lot of people around who are saying that the Mars Volta are very similar to Rush and have taked most of their influences from them...

View Post

weird.. Rush was playing in the background before the concert in both Toronto and Hamilton.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users