IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

The Mars Volta will play again2015

• Please log in to reply
5153 replies to this topic

#5141 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2909 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 25 May 2020 - 10:55 PM

So like no shot anything from them comes out this year with COVID and everything right? I mean I know Juan fell out with the guys too but hopefully maybe him and Jon Theodore magically becomes the rhythm section again, but I know that’s a long shot pipe dream.....guy can dream though.

Did randomly listen to Juan’s dean delray thing from a few years back and WOOOOF did Blake Fleming and Thomas pridgen sounds painful to deal with.....same time he also was honest in that podcast about the $$$$ side of the industry and how sometimes you end up with a guy like Blake because you can’t afford better, but that’s life....

One can dream though about Omar, Cedric, Juan, Jon and whoever they draft in on keys (guessing marcel)......hell maybe even get a sax player again?!?!?!

#5142 Athleticist

Athleticist

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2426 posts
  • Joined 26-October 03
  • Interests:got a k named chop

Posted 26 May 2020 - 12:29 AM

Uh, you do realize Juan is rehabilitating how to walk right now, right?

#5143 hbk111

hbk111

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3069 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 26 May 2020 - 06:51 AM

Juan will not be able to tour for many years. Come on. Use your head. Also, even if Omar reconciled with Juan recently (possible but may never happen), Deantoni and Eva seem to be the rhythm section for this version.

#5144 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2909 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 26 May 2020 - 11:46 AM

I know I know about all that.....was dreaming out loud.

#5145 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2909 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 26 May 2020 - 04:38 PM

And don’t get me wrong, I’ll drink it up and listen to all of it if and when the band drops something with Eva and D at the helm - just in the music D made with the band, I wasn’t the biggest fan and his drums, while technical, I did not feel served the songs but rather detracted from them. What I loved about JT in the band was he was playing these tricky complicated parts but in a way that served the song dynamically.

That said, D was good when he filled in in 2006 and I enjoyed his style then, just the later stuff didn’t resonate with me.

Like I said, will obviously listen to this new era whenever it happens with an open mind! I am allowed to dream though hahah

#5146 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3955 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 26 May 2020 - 05:00 PM

i wish there was more of his 2006 stuff out there. the jacob jam is like 80% of the shows with him and that version is such a mess imo

#5147 hbk111

hbk111

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3069 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 26 May 2020 - 05:05 PM

Yeah no problem man. I don’t think Jon would work with later Volta though. I can’t think of another drummer outside of D that would fit Noctourniquet’s style. Lapochka for instance.

#5148 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6190 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 26 May 2020 - 05:41 PM

the jacob jam is like 80% of the shows with him and that version is such a mess imo

Yeah, it's boring as fuck. Don't @ me.

#5149 hbk111

hbk111

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3069 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:47 PM

If it was 15 minutes instead of 30-60 it would have been great. It’s a fucking chore to get through.

#5150 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6878 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 26 May 2020 - 09:42 PM

I enjoy the Corona Fest version more than Obelisk

#5151 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2909 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 27 May 2020 - 01:19 PM

Jon Theodore and flea featuring on another bright eyes song......glad to see another jam featuring the deloused rhythm section!

#5152 APJ90

APJ90

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Joined 15-August 10

Posted 27 May 2020 - 04:21 PM

I enjoy the Corona Fest version more than Obelisk

Obelisk has a dreamier vibe, with an extended outro that sounds like something off Experimental Audio Research's 'Millennium Music'; it's quite a distinctive jam. The ultra-long 2006 Jacob Jams don't have any sections that are anywhere near as 'out-there', atmospheric, and unique (relative to the usual Volta approaches to jamming); they're mostly just a collection of repetitive riffs with long solos over the top. I mean, maybe if the performances were 25-30 mins long instead of 40 mins+, I would return to them more, but I can certainly understand why people would find them very difficult to enjoy.

Each to their own, of course, but I've always felt that 25 minute+ pieces of music either have to be multi-sectioned and dynamic (like the Cicatriz Jams, Cassandra Gemini, or even the 2011 versions of Jacob Jam) or highly textured and atmospheric to justify such a length. Meanwhile, the studio version of Jacob Van Lennepkade II generally works for me because it's 'only' 18 mins long, each of the solos is distinctive, and it's anchored by a reworked Viscera Eyes riff which keeps things rolling along nicely.

#5153 kathygriffin

kathygriffin

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Joined 12-December 06

Posted 27 May 2020 - 04:35 PM

Back to Kenticus’ point, I too wonder how many bands have projects that will be pushed back a year or more due the covid crisis. How many bands toward the end of their careers will decide to just hang it up as opposed to playing shows with new restrictions applied.

#5154 Postulate

Postulate

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 25-June 16

Posted 29 May 2020 - 08:32 PM

On the other hand some that have only been performing live for years may decide to record new stuff when they can't play concerts

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

foundlost