IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Scars On Broadway?fuck the haters

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_shotgunjoe_*

Guest_shotgunjoe_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:49 AM

I've been a massive System Of A Down fan for ages, and even though I'm as obsessed with them as I was, I still remember when I was. I remember going onto www.soadfans.de and hearing about Daron Malakian's project with John Dolmayan cars On Broadway about two years ago, but it never really amounted to anything. Well lately its been coming into the limelight again. When I got an email saying "Scars On Broadway" and today's date I researched it. There was a countdown timer on the website and so when i got home tonight I checked it out. There's now a song up called "They Say". Its pretty cool I guess, although Daron's voice can be grating sometimes. Its better than Serj's solo stuff, but all these side projects just sound like watered down versions of SOAD.

I've just kissed any indie cred I had goodbye, haven't I?

#2 flipzoso

flipzoso

ZK

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7093 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:02 AM

Noice, I really like SOAD and been looking forward to this. Thanks for the heads will check asap.

EDIT: it was aight, feeling there will be better. Oh and I relistened to Serjs solo after a long time, man I was actually pretty damn impressed but I really hope he sticks to the classical feel next time instead of getting walked on by his producers.

#3 Ratking

Ratking

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1164 posts
  • Joined 20-November 07
  • Myspace

Posted 29 March 2008 - 05:52 AM

I've been a massive System Of A Down fan for ages, and even though I'm as obsessed with them as I was, I still remember when I was. I remember going onto www.soadfans.de and hearing about Daron Malakian's project with John Dolmayan cars On Broadway about two years ago, but it never really amounted to anything. Well lately its been coming into the limelight again. When I got an email saying "Scars On Broadway" and today's date I researched it. There was a countdown timer on the website and so when i got home tonight I checked it out. There's now a song up called "They Say". Its pretty cool I guess, although Daron's voice can be grating sometimes. Its better than Serj's solo stuff, but all these side projects just sound like watered down versions of SOAD.

I've just kissed any indie cred I had goodbye, haven't I?

What indie cred? Didn't you openly admit to liking Slipknot in another thread already? haha... but for reals. I used to fucking love that band when I was in my junior year of highschool. fucking ruled.

"Who will fight the heathens, who will fight the heathens!"

#4 Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite

Guaranteed Tremendous Safety

• Members
  • 7482 posts
  • Joined 15-August 05

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:51 AM

serj and daron go great together. serj's voice works perfectly over darons guitar

idk why they try and do their own thing

just stick together

#5 Shao Kahn

Shao Kahn

• Members
  • 5658 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:the precious
  • Myspace

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:34 PM

i actually really like daron's voice. kind of sounds like, if paul mcartney went crazy.

#6 Guest_shotgunjoe_*

Guest_shotgunjoe_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:52 PM

Daron's voice worked well on Mezmerize and Hypnotize, I just thought for that Scars On Broadway song it didn't work too well, although it grows on you.

#7 donniet

donniet

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Joined 14-March 08

Posted 29 March 2008 - 05:37 PM

idk he kinda reminds me of Geddy Lee in parts of the song. I like the song, although I'm really not a System fan.

#8 HisHipness

HisHipness

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Joined 03-August 05

Posted 29 March 2008 - 05:45 PM

Hmm soo okay.
When I heard Serj's side project it was what I expected, less complicated musically then SOAD but had the armenian feel. I gathered this because Daron wrote all the music for SOAD. But I expected this project to have the more complex aspects of System? Considering much of their music is pretty technical. But I'm quite suprised to hear the same 4 chords over the entire song with an odd solo? Hm Just not what I expected at all
Imuch better liked the Scars On Broadway Demos. With Zach Hill on drums. Yeahh.

#9 mandos

mandos

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2369 posts
  • Joined 03-December 05
  • Myspace

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:04 PM

It's indie to like Mainstream music.

#10 Eduard E. Bola

Eduard E. Bola

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2097 posts
  • Joined 02-July 06

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:38 PM

i actually really like daron's voice. kind of sounds like, if paul mcartney went crazy.

haha never would have thought of that analogy. i really enjoy daron's voice. he and serj really manage to harmonize extremely well with each other considering how different their voices are.

#11 narcissus

narcissus

the river nihil

• Members
  • 5585 posts
  • Joined 13-July 07

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:55 PM

Hmm soo okay.
When I heard Serj's side project it was what I expected, less complicated musically then SOAD but had the armenian feel. I gathered this because Daron wrote all the music for SOAD. But I expected this project to have the more complex aspects of System? Considering much of their music is pretty technical. But I'm quite suprised to hear the same 4 chords over the entire song with an odd solo? Hm Just not what I expected at all
Imuch better liked the Scars On Broadway Demos. With Zach Hill on drums. Yeahh.

soad? complex?

#12 HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  • Joined 16-April 07

Posted 30 March 2008 - 12:25 AM

these side projects just sound like watered down versions of SOAD.

That's pretty much how I feel about them too. Usually when a band takes a permanent hiatus to do side projects, they want to explore more creative avenues. The only side project I've enjoyed yet is Serart.

#13 useded

useded

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Joined 06-March 06

Posted 30 March 2008 - 12:49 AM

i like the riff. that could be the old school soad fan inside speaking though. nah, i like this.

#14 Guest_Mr. Krinkle_*

Guest_Mr. Krinkle_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 30 March 2008 - 12:57 AM

That song is really bad. To simple for my liking. I am now dumber for having listened to it.

#15 HisHipness

HisHipness

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Joined 03-August 05

Posted 30 March 2008 - 04:56 PM

Yeah SOAD, especially in the later two albums, was pretty complex. I mean not as complex as a lot of other stuff, but look at Revenga or Question! or U-Bit. It's not "simple music". But this Scars On Broadway song couldn't be simpler.

#16 firstrays123

firstrays123

We Do By Declare Ourselves To Be Another Art Of Being

• Members
  • 10329 posts
  • Joined 23-May 04
  • Interests:Music, School, Meditation, Friends & Family, Spirituality, Good Food, Traveling and Sun Ra

Posted 30 March 2008 - 04:58 PM

damn, nivius was right...my bad nivius

#17 sepoe

sepoe

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5315 posts
  • Joined 23-February 07

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:11 PM

EVERYBODY GOES TO THE PARTY HAVE A REAL GOOD TIIIME

LALLALLALAALAAA

EVERYYYBOODYY GOIN THE PARTY HAVE A REAL GOOD TIIIMEEE

#18 Guest_shotgunjoe_*

Guest_shotgunjoe_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:12 PM

BYOB is an awesome song.

#19 guytonster

guytonster

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Joined 22-September 06

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:40 PM

I used to love System. I havent really listened to them in awhile but Toxicity is still a great album.

This Scars on Broadway song is really weak. I think the singing is decent but the instrumental side was boring as hell

#20 Ratking

Ratking

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1164 posts
  • Joined 20-November 07
  • Myspace

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:38 PM

BYOB is an awesome song.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users