IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Rehabilitating Shrouded in Veils

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4660 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:17 PM

I seem to be noticing a pattern, in which newcomers come to this forum looking to discuss and dissect the Mars Volta, which they do, but then they get sucked into the crapfest that is neotokyo, which is only tangentially related to The Mars Volta. This is kinda what happened to me, although I don't post all that much. I would like to see a revival in shrouded in veils, I think there is enough interest, it's just that people stick to the status quo and don't post any new threads because no one else is. The Mars Volta is always getting new fans, fans perhaps not as jaded as the comatorium users who know every detail about Omar's life down to his favorite pair of socks. I think these fans need a better community to take part in than the comatorium is currently offering. There are so many great threads, but they're all dusty and old, and half the users in them don't even post here anymore. Hell, I bet some of them are no longer living.

No offense to the neotokyo frequenters, but I don't come to this site to get news or watch funny videos or get up on the latest memes. I really come here to talk about the Mars Volta. And I don't think there's enough of that. In terms of concrete suggestions, I don't have much at this time, other than trying to do everything we can to stimulate more discussion in Shrouded and other forums. I will try to do this as well, but I just wanted to get the ball rolling.

*Note that I realize that part of the reason this board is dead is because the Mars Volta aren't all that active as of late. But, still, the point stands.

#2 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6868 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:06 PM

I completely agree man and have been thinking about this myself. When I first started coming here in the De-Loused/Frances era, Shrouded was an amazing and active forum with people posting new ideas every day. Frances didn't have a book like De-Loused did yet with the combined effort of everybody's interpretations people were able to establish many common story elements. Shrouded was basically what drew me to the coma in the first place and now it's a complete wasteland. As you said it was just a lot more of a productive forum and interesting (to me) than all of the random stuff in Neotokyo or gossip about drummers or Cedric's personal life in the main TMV forum. Perhaps adding a Cryptomnesia and/or Xenophanes subforum might spark some new interest in Shrouded, but I guess that's up to the mods.

#3 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4660 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:10 PM

I completely agree man and have been thinking about this myself. When I first started coming here in the De-Loused/Frances era, Shrouded was an amazing and active forum with people posting new ideas every day. Frances didn't have a book like De-Loused did yet with the combined effort of everybody's interpretations people were able to establish many common story elements. Shrouded was basically what drew me to the coma in the first place and now it's a complete wasteland. As you said it was just a lot more of a productive forum and interesting (to me) than all of the random stuff in Neotokyo or gossip about drummers or Cedric's personal life in the main TMV forum. Perhaps adding a Cryptomnesia and/or Xenophanes subforum might spark some new interest in Shrouded, but I guess that's up to the mods.

This isn't a bad idea, since we've only got Omar solo stuff right now we could have some space dedicated to dissecting that stuff. I'm sure Xenophanes and Cryptomnesia are chock full of material to interpret, read way too far into and generally take apart and see where it leads you (although Xeno's in spanish which takes it a trifle harder).

#4 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7675 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09
  • Interests:Peace, love and bass.

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:10 AM

Good suggestion, good post!

#5 nardo

nardo

Lord of the Links

• Dictator
  • 6218 posts
  • Joined 21-July 03

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:43 PM

Shrouded needs a new album to drop.

#6 poega

poega

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Joined 19-September 09

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:37 AM

Shrouded needs a new album to drop.

#7 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6868 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:58 AM

Very true haha. But hey I think Cryptomnesia would be a good candidate for Shrouded if nothing else. Or at least a Shrouded subforum in Vondelpark would be sweet.

#8 adderas

adderas

RESIDENT BACKWARD FUNDAMENTALIST CHRISTIAN.

• Members
  • 6441 posts
  • Joined 23-November 09

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:53 AM

btw what is his fave pair of socks?

#9 poega

poega

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Joined 19-September 09

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:07 PM

Very true haha. But hey I think Cryptomnesia would be a good candidate for Shrouded if nothing else. Or at least a Shrouded subforum in Vondelpark would be sweet.

Unveiling Crypto would be a living hell I believe. Tho I have to admit I've always wondered what kinda shine it was. That "conversation" is so fucked up and hilarious.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users