IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

The Malkin Jewel official live video

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4655 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:38 PM

CEDRIC BRINGIN IT

EDIT: I want to elaborate on a point I made earlier about the ATDI shows, and how people were saying Cedric was too old and couldn't scream anymore. WRONG. Look fuckers there it is right there.

Cedric has been at the top of his game this whole tour.

#22 A.N.Other

A.N.Other

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3032 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:03 PM

CEDRIC BRINGIN IT

EDIT: I want to elaborate on a point I made earlier about the ATDI shows, and how people were saying Cedric was too old and couldn't scream anymore. WRONG. Look fuckers there it is right there.

That's a bit of overstatement, isn't it? His falsetto is sadly not what it used to be. He's really good though when it comes to singing songs like Malkin Jewel or Empty Vessels where he doesn't have to hit really high notes.

#23 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • 4655 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:03 PM

CEDRIC BRINGIN IT

That's a bit of overstatement, isn't it? His falsetto is sadly not what it used to be. He's really good though when it comes to singing songs like Malkin Jewel or Empty Vessels where he doesn't have to hit really high notes.

Yeah, but the ones he does hit he hits with his full voice, as opposed to the gay falsetto thing he was doing with A.T.D.I.

#24 Ararat

Ararat

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2265 posts
  • Joined 12-August 11

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:14 PM

yeah the chirping

#25 Pongo

Pongo

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1111 posts
  • Joined 09-September 04

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:38 PM

I don't want to put words in xpgno's mouth, but "top of his game" is not the same as "greatest vocal range." What he said was that Cedric is singing the best that he can at the moment, which can be true for more than one tour or era.

Unrelated: can we have similar videos for other Nocto songs? This is great!

#26 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7671 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09
  • Interests:Peace, love and bass.

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:43 PM

God damn, quiet volta is such good volta..

I remembered this post as "is the best volta" and went to find this as a comeback.

Oh well, might as well drop it off here anyway.

#27 Jevon

Jevon

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Joined 20-March 07
  • Interests:surviving & not dying.
  • Facebook

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:30 PM

God damn, quiet volta is such good volta..

I remembered this post as "is the best volta" and went to find this as a comeback.

Oh well, might as well drop it off here anyway.

Cool, I've never seen this before.

I wish Omar would revisit his ring modulation effect he used to use back then, such a cool sound.

#28 afterglow

afterglow

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • Joined 18-January 12

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:18 AM

fuck we need a dvd

Yes.

#29 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3719 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:26 AM

Wow, nice find, great stuff. Thanks. Omar must have this whole black & white fetish thing ...

looks good and makes sense logistically imo. i edit live concert video too and think about how much color correction paco/whoever cut this would have to do if it wasn't in b/w because of venue/light configuration changes.

#30 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • 4655 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:33 AM

I don't want to put words in xpgno's mouth, but "top of his game" is not the same as "greatest vocal range." What he said was that Cedric is singing the best that he can at the moment, which can be true for more than one tour or era.

Unrelated: can we have similar videos for other Nocto songs? This is great!

Yo dog, don't be putting anything in my mouth without my sayso. Anyways, I basically just wanted to say I think Cedric's been killin it on this tour so far. (still pissed that he blocked me on twitter though. come at me bro).

#31 Pongo

Pongo

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1111 posts
  • Joined 09-September 04

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:33 AM

Yo dog, don't be putting anything in my mouth without my sayso. Anyways, I basically just wanted to say I think Cedric's been killin it on this tour so far. (still pissed that he blocked me on twitter though. come at me bro).

Why'd he block you?

#32 cracknowledge101

cracknowledge101

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1405 posts
  • Joined 29-October 04

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:06 AM

fuckin killed it. malkin jewel sounds more evil every time i hear it.

#33 Santino88

Santino88

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Joined 27-May 05
  • Twitter

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

Fuck yeah, this is a big middle figer to those who says The Mars Volta has lost "IT", whatever that is. And Marcel simply owns them keyboards! No distespect to Ikey but I like Marcel on keys better than him =)

Totally agree. Listening to Marcel play with so much soul and then thinking and remembering of Ikey bashing his hands on the keyboard like madman and hear "the sounds", I just have to shake my head and say "phew, this is much, much better."

I really, really love this new incarnation of The Mars Volta. Can't wait for the show on Sunday!

#34 Xero

Xero

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1936 posts
  • Joined 10-July 03

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:26 PM

Totally agree. Listening to Marcel play with so much soul and then thinking and remembering of Ikey bashing his hands on the keyboard like madman and hear "the sounds", I just have to shake my head and say "phew, this is much, much better."

Ikey only bashed when necessary.
He was a very soulful player who was rarely heard as well as Marcel is on these recent videos.
And he didn't cheat and use a damn arpeggiator.

#35 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • 4655 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:28 PM

He was a very soulful player who was rarely heard as well as Marcel is on these recent videos.

Yeah, Ikey gets down. Check the second half of Aberinkula for instance.

#36 michaelc205

michaelc205

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Joined 23-June 11

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:03 PM

Sounds good for marcel. Probably wants us to think he's become a better musician ..not a better programmer. Hard to fool the Coma though. Good clip.

#37 woodwell

woodwell

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Joined 10-May 05

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:12 AM

Go cedric and his backup band!

#38 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2793 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:47 PM

yeah that arpeggiator thing is just plain lazy and honestly always sounds tacky. Clearly, the guy is getting better as a musician as time goes on, but ikey absolutely slays him and would never use something lazy like an arpeggiator. That said, this malkin jewel video is quite cool, the only negative is that the video is cut and pasted from different shows....

#39 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • 4655 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:57 PM

Marcel uses the arp in a pretty dope way, I'd say, only problem is it's kind of a one-trick pony, so I immediately recognize it when I hear it. But, I'm not complaining, it sounds good. I just don't get this tendency for people to switch and start saying an ex-band member in the Volta was never an accomplished musician. The same thing happened with Thomas.

#40 ShreddingBullets

ShreddingBullets

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 225 posts
  • Joined 23-December 10

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:05 PM

yeah that arpeggiator thing is just plain lazy and honestly always sounds tacky. Clearly, the guy is getting better as a musician as time goes on, but ikey absolutely slays him and would never use something lazy like an arpeggiator. That said, this malkin jewel video is quite cool, the only negative is that the video is cut and pasted from different shows....

I...what? Arpeggiators=lazy now? Even considering all of the soloing and fills he did sans-arpeggiator? Because if you think arpeggiators are a sign of laziness, I can't imagine how you feel about the synths on Noctourniquet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users