IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Thomas Pridgen...

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 francesthemute

francesthemute

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Joined 27-January 09

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:32 AM

If you are a serious drummer, or musician for that matter, you know who this guy is. Even though he has only really been a studio musician for the best, he could have chosen any band (im sure many would love to have him, probably jazz, crazy gospel, and fusion though) he chose the mars volta. Why? Why? Why?

I was not a part of the coma when thomas came aboard, and all the different drummers situation, but i know this has been discussed. could not find a thread relating. Probably deleted because it was a while back now.

I know the story with Omar and Thomas, but do you guys think they just clicked?? I know that Omar is the leader but how much say on Thomas' shit does he have? Why would Thomas want to be told what to do? I love both, and think it works so well, but what do you guys think...

#2 indexx

indexx

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Joined 06-December 03

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:40 AM

i can't believe nobody registered the nick francesthemute for 4 years

#3 warrenoates

warrenoates

Hi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5481 posts
  • Joined 21-June 09

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:50 AM

i think they heard of him, had an "audition" for him, and he passed with flying colors. then they said "yo, T-pridge, wanna kick it with us Volta homeboys???" and T-Pridge said "why yes, yes i do. that sounds like an exquisite bit of fun!" and then they said "aigh T-Pridge but you gotta know that we be the bosses. that means you're our bitch. that cool T-Pridge?" to which T-Pridge replies with "yes, i've grown rather fond of the group mentality. lets acquire a grammy award!" to which they say "aight cool T-Pridge. now get behind the kit and wail or else we'll fire you, hire a newer younger beat machine, and talk shit about how you didn't like to play live a year later."

#4 a fasting artist

a fasting artist

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1036 posts
  • Joined 17-December 03
  • Interests:jamming, eating, and sleeping. oh, and soccer too.

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:53 AM

i think they heard of him, had an "audition" for him, and he passed with flying colors. then they said "yo, T-pridge, wanna kick it with us Volta homeboys???" and T-Pridge said "why yes, yes i do. that sounds like an exquisite bit of fun!" and then they said "aigh T-Pridge but you gotta know that we be the bosses. that means you're our bitch. that cool T-Pridge?" to which T-Pridge replies with "yes, i've grown rather fond of the group mentality. lets acquire a grammy award!" to which they say "aight cool T-Pridge. now get behind the kit and wail or else we'll fire you, hire a newer younger beat machine, and talk shit about how you didn't like to play live a year later."

haha, golden

#5 skitznick69

skitznick69

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts
  • Joined 28-February 07

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:29 AM

brilliant

#6 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13702 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:00 PM

Sounds more like TMV chose Thomas and not the other way around

#7 90adZAP

90adZAP

Has a crush on Lisa Mullins

• Members
  • 7286 posts
  • Joined 17-March 07
  • Interests:Running<br />Listening to music<br />Writing music<br />Pondering the universe<br />Going to school<br />Eating food
  • Facebook

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:56 PM

so basically
i tried to sig this but it said my sig was too long...and I don't know what to do....but realize that this post was of such quality that I am considering changing my sig and erasing my photoshop head (which I have never changed mind you mr. warrenoates)

#8 dew

dew

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Joined 26-November 08
  • Interests:All MARS music.
  • Twitter

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:58 PM

Sounds more like TMV chose Thomas and not the other way around

Acording to the legend, the universe delivered Thomas Pridgen to Omar in response to his prayings.

#9 wonderbrother

wonderbrother

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Joined 12-March 07

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:02 AM

JT > TP.

there. i said it.

#10 neosnake

neosnake

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Joined 08-May 04

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:09 AM

JT > TP.

there. i said it.

Yeah, Jim>Omar....

#11 warrenoates

warrenoates

Hi

• Members
  • 5481 posts
  • Joined 21-June 09

Posted 22 July 2009 - 02:28 AM

PAZ, i am truly flattered by your appreciation of my post. you are a man of fine sig taste, because your photoshop head makes me crack up. therefore, i understand your pain

#12 Marsbag

Marsbag

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2446 posts
  • Joined 17-September 08

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:26 AM

so basically
i tried to sig this but it said my sig was too long...and I don't know what to do....but realize that this post was of such quality that I am considering changing my sig and erasing my photoshop head (which I have never changed mind you mr. warrenoates)

wow tough choice between an epic sig or a soon to be epic sig.

#13 llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts
  • Joined 30-January 08

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:31 AM

Omar Chose him
he didnt choose THe mars volta

#14 francesthemute

francesthemute

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Joined 27-January 09

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:46 PM

Omar Chose him
he didnt choose THe mars volta

BAM. But why did he chose to be chosen??...if you know what i mean. haha.

#15 itsgonrain

itsgonrain

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1156 posts
  • Joined 13-September 08

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:49 PM

There was an interview on this awhile back after BiG was released. Basically what happend is that Thomas came to a concert while they were touring with RHCP. He met Omar before they went on, and Omar asked TP if he could just come out onstage and have an hour long conversation (playing w/TMV), TP was down, and Omar was like ZOMGAH this is the ONE, there might have been some making out, I dunno lol.

#16 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13702 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:11 PM

No, it was an audition and they told him to learn one beat because they would be improvising for an hour and then he realized "oh shit I'm in the band"

#17 IVeilCerpinTaxtI

IVeilCerpinTaxtI

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3317 posts
  • Joined 01-February 05
  • Interests:Drums, Bass, Music...
  • Facebook
  • Myspace

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:12 PM

JT > TP.

there. i said it.

Yeah, Jim>Omar....

Haha, Golden.

You know what, this is actually a very interesting topic that no one seems to be taking seriously. I really want to ask Thomas this himself, and hopefully I'll get the chance come the end of next month. I wonder what made Thomas truly want to join The Mars Volta as opposed to any other band. Hell, he could definitely lead his own thing like Dave Weckl and so many other great drummers.

#18 redmischief

redmischief

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Joined 15-September 05

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:23 PM

There was an interview a while back. When asked about TMV, he said something like "I always wanted to know what it would be like to be in Zappa's band". Omar's the closest thing. Who knows.

#19 ouirdachampine

ouirdachampine

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Joined 25-June 09

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:23 PM

JT > TP.

there. i said it.

I do like him better, I really do. Jon Theodore = the ?uestlove of prog rock. Pridgen is awesome and thrilling to watch and listen to, but Jon kept things reigned in more while still exuding extreme amounts of energy and skill. Back in 2006, if someone would've asked me what the Mars Volta needed to make them better, the last thing I would've said was "a better drummer". I get that he had an attitude problem and needed to go, but as a musician there wasn't a damn thing wrong with him in my view.

#20 ArtDamage

ArtDamage

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts
  • Joined 22-September 07
  • Interests:my band: www.myspace.com/agprix<br />for fans of volta, tsoaf, circa survive, maps and atlases, fall of troy, coheed, etc.

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:58 PM

the jon vs thomas thing will go on forever
im just mad that when jon left he took all the dynamics with him

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users