IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Red Hot Chili Peppers (RHCP)

• Please log in to reply
1094 replies to this topic

#1061 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6048 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 21 February 2020 - 11:26 AM

Unbeliveable how much better the US vinyl master of Stadium Arcadium is to the godawul CD press. LIke listening to two different records. Anyway, since questioning Frusciante on the other thread I've basically listened to nothing but RHCP and his solo stuff.

#1062 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 10195 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 21 February 2020 - 03:18 PM

And what is your favorite record atm? And your current opinion about his work in general?

#1063 Petra

Petra

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Joined 16-February 09

Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:07 PM

I have been obsessed with music since I was a little dude. Went to music college and play many instruments.... but I never made the jump to vinyl. Always seemed so expensive to start all over. That comment up there is really making me consider getting a turntable and speakers. Any suggestions on those? Something that isn't top of the line but better than average?? Thanks.

#1064 TL_

TL_

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2530 posts
  • Joined 11-October 10

Posted 21 February 2020 - 05:24 PM

Unbeliveable how much better the US vinyl master of Stadium Arcadium is to the godawul CD press. LIke listening to two different records. Anyway, since questioning Frusciante on the other thread I've basically listened to nothing but RHCP and his solo stuff.

Be sure to check out the b-sides for every album from The Empyrean forward, arguably some of the best tracks for each of the albums. (Today is probably my favorite JF song.)

I have been obsessed with music since I was a little dude. Went to music college and play many instruments.... but I never made the jump to vinyl. Always seemed so expensive to start all over. That comment up there is really making me consider getting a turntable and speakers. Any suggestions on those? Something that isn't top of the line but better than average?? Thanks.

Can't recommend speakers, but Audio Technica LP60 and LP120 are great turntables.

#1065 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 6048 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14

Posted 21 February 2020 - 05:35 PM

Check out the mastering information on discogs for how each vinyl version, and CD, compare. From wiki, here's a waveform comparison of Snow (CD top, vinyl bottom):

2880px-RHCP_Snow_Hey_Oh_waveform.png

As a rule, anything mastered by Gray and Hoffman is going to sound incredible. I researched Blood Sugar, OHM and Californication presses - it may have cost a little bit more, but I am glad to have the very best sounding versions of those vinyl records.

#1066 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 6048 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14

Posted 21 February 2020 - 05:38 PM

And what is your favorite record atm? And your current opinion about his work in general?

i'mma come back to this x

#1067 TL_

TL_

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2530 posts
  • Joined 11-October 10

Posted 21 February 2020 - 05:42 PM

Check out the mastering information on discogs for how each vinyl version, and CD, compare. From wiki, here's a waveform comparison of Snow (CD top, vinyl bottom):

2880px-RHCP_Snow_Hey_Oh_waveform.png

As a rule, anything mastered by Gray and Hoffman is going to sound incredible. I researched Blood Sugar, OHM and Californication presses - it may have cost a little bit more, but I am glad to have the very best sounding versions of those vinyl records.

Omar's solo on Especially in Michigan is different than the CD cut

#1068 rroseselavy

rroseselavy

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts
  • Joined 13-December 19

Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:15 PM

You can simply listen to a vinyl rip to get the advantages of the different mastering. Been doing that for years with BtW and SA.

I don't believe it's a different solo on Especially in Michigan. Besides the short looped bend it's 1:1 exactly the same solo. The loop kind of sounds artificially cut at the end.

#1069 Andrewf

Andrewf

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4610 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 22 February 2020 - 09:05 AM

yeah its a different edit but i dont get why they did that. BTW, stadium arcadium is the only album in RHCP discography to feature a guest guitarist

#1070 kev821

kev821

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • Joined 25-October 04

Posted 22 February 2020 - 02:20 PM

Be sure to check out the b-sides for every album from The Empyrean forward, arguably some of the best tracks for each of the albums. (Today is probably my favorite JF song.)

Can't recommend speakers, but Audio Technica LP60 and LP120 are great turntables.

numarks are also pretty affordable and pioneer as well, or go the used route and get a used technic. Since you play I would get some studio monitor, yamaha, jbl or krk, and double down.

#1071 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2875 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 22 February 2020 - 07:55 PM

yeah its a different edit but i dont get why they did that. BTW, stadium arcadium is the only album in RHCP discography to feature a guest guitarist

I mean John did feature on every Mars Volta full length besides noctourniquet so was not at all shocked when Omar showed up on SA. I mean SA has songs like torture me which feel very Mars Volta inspired. Sucks that John and Omar haven’t done much stuff together in a long time, when those two hook up it’s always sonic gold.

#1072 TL_

TL_

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2530 posts
  • Joined 11-October 10

Posted 25 February 2020 - 12:39 AM

New show scheduled in Ohio, now their first one back. Anyone else going?

https://twitter.com/...003613985320962

#1073 Andrewf

Andrewf

Goliath

• Members
  • 4610 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 25 February 2020 - 05:38 AM

This is also first booked after John joined. They replaced Metallica. (Israel was announced recently but booked last year)

#1074 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2875 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 25 February 2020 - 01:06 PM

This is also first booked after John joined. They replaced Metallica. (Israel was announced recently but booked last year)

This show looks like a favor to Metallica - they had to drop out and RHCP guys are both friends with them and share management. RHCP doesn’t fit the vibe of the other bands there, but yeaaaahhhhh. Interesting that it all starts in Ohio

#1075 Andrewf

Andrewf

Goliath

• Members
  • 4610 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 25 February 2020 - 03:22 PM

Im sure there will be several low time LA club secret gigs in march or april

#1076 SUB

SUB

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1177 posts
  • Joined 21-July 04

Posted 25 February 2020 - 05:56 PM

Vinyl is worth it if you want a physical medium to play music these days.  CD's are obsolete pretty much.  I love the giant artwork and spinning a record.  I stopped buying CDs over 10 years ago.  The price difference often-times is marginal too.

As for a turntable / speaker setup...there are many options.  I highly suggest heading over to the audio karma forums - https://audiokarma.o...orums/index.php .  There are a lot of nice and helpful folk over there that know a ton about audio and can give you great recommendations based on what you are looking for.  I'd probably start in the General Audio Discussion forum and ask for some recommendations there.  If you find a brand that you really like, they have separate forums for most of the popular brands.

#1077 Petra

Petra

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Joined 16-February 09

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:54 PM

Thanks everybody. I think the main reason I have never made the switch is because 90% of the time I listen to music it is in my car or when I run (I run long distance for excercise/mental health/anxiety). I rarely pop on an album at home. I'm still planning on getting a setup so I can experience it for myself and see. Thanks again.

#1078 SUB

SUB

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1177 posts
  • Joined 21-July 04

Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:02 PM

Most if not all vinyls come with download cards so you can listen to the music however you like. 

#1079 Petra

Petra

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Joined 16-February 09

Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:08 PM

With Bright Eyes back together, I'm wondering who will take over Nate's duties in the touring band. I was looking forward to having John and Nate in the band at the same time. Perhaps the Bright Eyes tour will be over before they start touring a new record. Nate has been a great addition to the Peppers.

#1080 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2875 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:15 PM

With Bright Eyes back together, I'm wondering who will take over Nate's duties in the touring band. I was looking forward to having John and Nate in the band at the same time. Perhaps the Bright Eyes tour will be over before they start touring a new record. Nate has been a great addition to the Peppers.

My dream would be Nate stays in RHCP as a live member and that Mauro refosco comes back on percussion at the same time. Very possible though that they just to with John, flea, chad, and Anthony.....that’s how they did it for years and so possible they go back to that. Those live members though did add fun awesome different twists to stuff so hoping they’re in the mix!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users