IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

King Crimsonyour favourite album?

• Please log in to reply
2431 replies to this topic

Poll: What's your favourite KC album? (209 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your favourite KC album?

1. In The Court Of The Crimson King (69 votes [34.85%])

Percentage of vote: 34.85%

2. In The Wake Of Poseidon (3 votes [1.52%])

Percentage of vote: 1.52%

3. Lizard (6 votes [3.03%])

Percentage of vote: 3.03%

4. Islands (7 votes [3.54%])

Percentage of vote: 3.54%

5. Larks\' Tongues In Aspic (22 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

6. Starless And Bible Black (7 votes [3.54%])

Percentage of vote: 3.54%

7. Red (55 votes [27.78%])

Percentage of vote: 27.78%

8. Discipline (13 votes [6.57%])

Percentage of vote: 6.57%

9. Beat (6 votes [3.03%])

Percentage of vote: 3.03%

10. Three Of A Perfect Pair (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

11. Vrooom (1 votes [0.51%])

Percentage of vote: 0.51%

12. Thrak (4 votes [2.02%])

Percentage of vote: 2.02%

13. The ConstruKtion Of Light (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

14. The Power To Believe (5 votes [2.53%])

Percentage of vote: 2.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#2381 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3786 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 23 June 2018 - 03:48 PM

Seems to me like this is the only lineup not doing any stand alone improvs. Only improvs we got were easy money and the letters. But at least we get more songs. Also i think its pretty hard to improvise when there are 8 people in the band (3 of which are drummers)

#2382 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2578 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 23 June 2018 - 11:57 PM

Seems to me like this is the only lineup not doing any stand alone improvs. Only improvs we got were easy money and the letters. But at least we get more songs. Also i think its pretty hard to improvise when there are 8 people in the band (3 of which are drummers)

I mean yes in terms of full band improvs, but there is still variation in stuff.

While the drum parts are charted and there’s a set number of bars to them, the drummers do vary their fills.

Most of Fripps guitar solos are improvised and vary night to night. Ditto on Mel’s solos.

Tony especially as the band has grown more years, improvises the bass parts more and more.

Schizoid - whole middle section has been and continues to be an improvisation....yes the order of solos has not changed (Fripp, Mel, Gavin), but how and what they’ve played in their solos has varied.

So what I’m saying is while there are not really standalone improvs, there is tons of night to night variation.

#2383 still

still

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Joined 15-April 18

Posted 24 June 2018 - 04:53 AM

Yeah, I especially loved how much Tony Levin was improvising on Wednesday and keeping it together at the same time, it was very entertaining to watch.

#2384 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3786 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 24 June 2018 - 06:17 AM

I mean yes in terms of full band improvs, but there is still variation in stuff.

While the drum parts are charted and there’s a set number of bars to them, the drummers do vary their fills.

Most of Fripps guitar solos are improvised and vary night to night. Ditto on Mel’s solos.

Tony especially as the band has grown more years, improvises the bass parts more and more.

Schizoid - whole middle section has been and continues to be an improvisation....yes the order of solos has not changed (Fripp, Mel, Gavin), but how and what they’ve played in their solos has varied.

So what I’m saying is while there are not really standalone improvs, there is tons of night to night variation.

i fully realise that.

a friend of mine recorded a part of yesterday's gig at Vienna. Moonchild, Radical III and Larks 4

#2385 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

in•ter a•li•a•moms

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5507 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me be about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 24 June 2018 - 02:58 PM

I am chuckling a little bit as I see the tour photos this time.  The US tour is played in these age old, barely updated auditoriums from the early 1900s that were never designed for this kind of stuff.  The European venues all look so space aged and modern and I imagine were designed by engineers for the best sound possible.  

The difference in what you hear has to be pretty large.

#2386 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2578 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 24 June 2018 - 03:42 PM

I am chuckling a little bit as I see the tour photos this time. The US tour is played in these age old, barely updated auditoriums from the early 1900s that were never designed for this kind of stuff. The European venues all look so space aged and modern and I imagine were designed by engineers for the best sound possible.

Imagine that’s true - just a fact of life that europeans put more money into the arts and developing new facilities. Just not the case in a lot of places in America.

That said, I’m spoiled living in Chicago where we have such amazing venues. I mean the Chicago theatre is old as hell, but that place is phenomenal and well kept up. Wish they would play at the civic opera in Chicago next time they come through - that building would be perfect for them.

#2387 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3038 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 24 June 2018 - 07:55 PM

i'll give europeans credit in modern design but a lot of it probably has to do with WW2 as well. we in the us haven't had situations where places like the orpheum or radio city were decimated. that being said, the egg in albany is an incredible venue

#2388 NGC891

NGC891

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Joined 09-November 16

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:27 PM

I am chuckling a little bit as I see the tour photos this time.  The US tour is played in these age old, barely updated auditoriums from the early 1900s that were never designed for this kind of stuff.  The European venues all look so space aged and modern and I imagine were designed by engineers for the best sound possible.  

i think this was mostly a coincidence for the first few shows. they will play quite a few old theatres.

the lichtburg in essen is a very old movie theatre for instance, the admiralspalast in berlin has been around for decades, and wait 'til you see the pictures from the baroque theatre in venice....

#2389 NGC891

NGC891

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Joined 09-November 16

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:29 PM

thanks for sharing the recording, even if it's only a fragment!

a friend of mine recorded a part of yesterday's gig at Vienna. Moonchild, Radical III and Larks 4

#2390 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3038 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 26 June 2018 - 03:29 AM

the tour box leaked. errors is ok, not as good with only a trio performing

#2391 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2578 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 26 June 2018 - 04:22 AM

the tour box leaked. errors is ok, not as good with only a trio performing

where did it leak?  cannot find it on the usual places i check........thanks in advance!

#2392 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3786 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 26 June 2018 - 06:51 AM

rutracker.

discipline demo is great, though i can't really believe that Jakko played all the instruments except for drums. sounds too much like original studio recording. neurotica from mexico sounds great mixed. Jakko reminded that Live In Chicago was not a multi track thats why it sounds so rough. because its unmixed. a little bit late, but Larks IV Construkction (from tour box 2017) contains a guitar part that later appeared in level five (yet another proof that level five is larks five)

#2393 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

in•ter a•li•a•moms

• Party Members
  • 5507 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 26 June 2018 - 12:38 PM

rutracker.

discipline demo is great, though i can't really believe that Jakko played all the instruments except for drums. sounds too much like original studio recording. neurotica from mexico sounds great mixed. Jakko reminded that Live In Chicago was not a multi track thats why it sounds so rough. because its unmixed. a little bit late, but Larks IV Construkction (from tour box 2017) contains a guitar part that later appeared in level five (yet another proof that level five is larks five)

But funny enough Larks 5 was birthed by the double trio before 4

#2394 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3786 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 26 June 2018 - 03:29 PM

proof? i would really like to know the developement? i also heard that vroom was written in 1983

befsetlist-w870.jpg

setlist for night 2 of vienna. my heart skipped a beat when i saw "Lament". Then i remembered it's "prince rupert's lament"

#2395 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

in•ter a•li•a•moms

• Party Members
  • 5507 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 27 June 2018 - 12:54 AM

The Nashville Sessions - Too many eeees is the spawning of LTIA5.  If you never heard that release it is worth your time.  Hearing the Double Trio jam out is a real treat and it sucks they never got a second LP off the ground.  

#2396 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3786 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 27 June 2018 - 07:41 AM

thanks! 

krakow gig is up on yeeshkul. unfortuantely nothing new except for LTIA 4 and Radical 3

#2397 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2578 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 27 June 2018 - 01:38 PM

thanks!
krakow gig is up on yeeshkul. unfortuantely nothing new except for LTIA 4 and Radical 3

And the suitable grounds reworking.....which now has a piano solo piece intro and then it sounds like the whole song that Jeremy is playing keys. Plus where Fripp used to take a solo, they have replaced it with a piano interlude, which is cool......I actually like the arrangement more than the original except I would change the ending so that instead of sax solo, then piano interlude, then another sax solo, I would go sax solo, piano interlude, then close with a guitar solo, but that’s just my view.

Radical 3: I quite like it! Continues to get more and more twists and turns and changes.....an extended Fripp guitar solo seems to have crept in which sounds excellent. Cool to hear this tune keep evolving.

Larks 4: lots of drums, Fripp of course executes the main solo he always took so that is basically a clinic in nailing a difficult solo. Never been a fan of larks 4 generally as I think it just kind of is variations on a theme that’s been done a bunch but which aren’t real extreme variations, but this band does is really well. Oh and as expected Mel takes a sax solo where Adrian used to take his solo.

#2398 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3786 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 28 June 2018 - 07:50 AM

some dude recorded the full vienna first night gig including cadence, discipline and bolero https://watercolorst...on-vienna-2018/

#2399 Veni-yan Warrior

Veni-yan Warrior

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3110 posts
  • Joined 27-February 05

Posted 28 June 2018 - 09:35 PM

aaaaand Moonchild, new Neurotica verse.  Wow, Bolero was damn fine!!  And Cadence was beautiful.  So hopeful for a U.S. tour next year.

edit:  Holy damn, Suitable Grounds is quite different.  I'm liking it.

#2400 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2578 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:21 PM

aaaaand Moonchild, new Neurotica verse. Wow, Bolero was damn fine!! And Cadence was beautiful. So hopeful for a U.S. tour next year.

edit: Holy damn, Suitable Grounds is quite different. I'm liking it.

Bolero gave me a big smile.....and I’m not a big fan of the song. Reminded me of listening to classical music in the way they played it, felt like ennio Morricone soundtrack music which I loved. Tons of Fripp leads on it and especially love the part in the middle where Fripp and Mel go nice and wild on their respective instruments.

Cadence too works great - well done on Jakkos part. Have to wonder does Fripp do the guitar part or is it too weird in NST and he’s handed it off to Jakko? In which case, would be just be playing keys like he does on court and moonchild?

Fun fun fun how the new additions fit right in!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

ramparts