IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

The Big Reveal 4/13/2014

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#121 Seattleite

Seattleite

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2797 posts
  • Joined 07-September 07

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:14 PM

the only other Mars Volta album I could think to remaster would be Amputechture for sure.

Jon Theodore was way too quiet on amp.

#122 SolarGambling69

SolarGambling69

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • Joined 07-March 12
  • Interests:Kantutan

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:35 PM

the only other Mars Volta album I could think to remaster would be Amputechture for sure.

Fuck. if Frances and Amp had a remastered vinyl release I'll be one broke-ass motherfucker.

#123 pehjott

pehjott

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Joined 24-March 05

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:36 PM

i think the amp and france vinyl already sound waaaay better then the CDs,especially amp

#124 A.N.Other

A.N.Other

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3035 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:42 PM

i think the amp and france vinyl already sound waaaay better then the CDs,especially amp

I'm pretty sure cd and vinyl were from the same masters in both occasions. Amp definitely sounds bad on cd though.

#125 histarising

histarising

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1674 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03
  • Interests:Singer for the band Feral Yell.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:49 AM

Do you think Omar would ever take the time to acquire the masters for all The Mars Volta albums? Or does he own the masters already, or do they belong to each respective major labels?

#126 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9088 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:56 AM

Is big sir coming out on nadie

#127 TL_

TL_

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2518 posts
  • Joined 11-October 10

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:02 AM

Is big sir coming out on nadie

No

#128 iMa(n)go

iMa(n)go

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Joined 02-February 12

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:06 AM

I would like to hear the quiet part on Tetragramaton a little louder too, Ikey could be louder also

#129 Egle

Egle

Phra-Men-Ma

• Members
  • 9845 posts
  • Joined 07-July 04
  • Interests:art, literature, music, philosophy, spirituality
  • Facebook

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:10 AM

Much as I hate to admit it. The last gig wasn't particularly enjoyable. Terrible crowd, the sound left a lot to be desired, and if I'm being completely honest the band had run the set list into the ground by that point and it just seemed to trundle along. In comparison they were great at Hard Rock Calling a couple of days before, the sound seemed a lot better (at least from where I was standing) and I think the shorter set worked better for them (no Widow as I recall). The SXSW sets on the other hand, now they were a whole different ball game.

Wasn't for me either. Those slower versions of older songs just sound like a weary, jaded band winding down and phoning it in. I saw TMV at a festival in Australia just before Noctourniquet and Cedric thanked us for attending their "band practice". Sure, thanks. Woo. No energy, no fire. This is why ANTEMASQUE is such a big deal for me; it's the sound of O&C rejuvenation, even if it is as a simple, 4 piece indie rock band. I just hope I'm not buying Scientologist music haha, but I guess that's a discussion for another time (never).

Got a feeling "Drown All Your Witches" was written in response to exactly this issue.

#130 zilla333

zilla333

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Joined 14-April 14

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:13 AM

did anyone else buy the le butcherettes album and only get a few songs? I thought it came out today and we were paying for the whole thing...I've tried to find an accurate track listing but there's nothing out there, it's too fresh.

#131 Kazza3

Kazza3

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2174 posts
  • Joined 28-December 09

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:20 AM

did anyone else buy the le butcherettes album and only get a few songs? I thought it came out today and we were paying for the whole thing...I've tried to find an accurate track listing but there's nothing out there, it's too fresh.

It hasn't come out yet, you'll get the download code in a few days.

#132 e7add9

e7add9

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Joined 16-April 12

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:23 AM

I would like to hear the quiet part on Tetragramaton a little louder too, Ikey could be louder also

the quiet parts are part of the dynamics of the song though. It's just like the quiet part of Cygnus before the main riff begins. nah mean?

#133 e7add9

e7add9

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Joined 16-April 12

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:27 AM

Do you think Omar would ever take the time to acquire the masters for all The Mars Volta albums? Or does he own the masters already, or do they belong to each respective major labels?

I would guess that Omar's got the masters for the albums. Knowing how involved he was in the recording/mastering process with all his projects, its difficult (at least for me) to think about Omar letting someone else, especially a record label, hold onto his work like that.

I say chances are they're all somewhere in has vast collection of hard drives

#134 deadeye

deadeye

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2502 posts
  • Joined 07-April 05

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:47 AM

omar owns all of the mars volta tapes

#135 deadeye

deadeye

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2502 posts
  • Joined 07-April 05

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:49 AM

a remaster wouldn't fix that. you're thinking of a remix.

amp is mastered fine. only album not mastered well is noct

#136 Jehu

Jehu

I like to drive

• Members
  • 6108 posts
  • Joined 03-November 08
  • Interests:Mostly driving
  • Twitter

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:52 AM

the quiet parts are part of the dynamics of the song though. It's just like the quiet part of Cygnus before the main riff begins. nah mean?

You just reminded me of when I first bought Frances on CD. I was like 16 and had to get my mom to drive me out to buy it, my friend had lent me De-Loused like a week before and I was losing my mind over it. I kind of wanted to wait to listen to Frances on my own but my mom convinced me to put it on in the car, since I had been raving about this band and she hadn't heard them yet. Cygnus starts and she ups the volume trying to hear the quiet intro. Suddenly it explodes just as she's in the middle of making a left turn at a busy intersection and she's hastly fumbling with the volume and I'm just smiling and thinking to myself "holy shit I love this band". 

#137 Pongo

Pongo

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1119 posts
  • Joined 09-September 04

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:30 AM

It appears TMV owns them: http://forum.thecoma...88502&p=2288867

#138 e7add9

e7add9

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Joined 16-April 12

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:40 AM

[quote]

[/quote]

You just reminded me of when I first bought Frances on CD. I was like 16 and had to get my mom to drive me out to buy it, my friend had lent me De-Loused like a week before and I was losing my mind over it. I kind of wanted to wait to listen to Frances on my own but my mom convinced me to put it on in the car, since I had been raving about this band and she hadn't heard them yet. Cygnus starts and she ups the volume trying to hear the quiet intro. Suddenly it explodes just as she's in the middle of making a left turn at a busy intersection and she's hastly fumbling with the volume and I'm just smiling and thinking to myself "holy shit I love this band". [/quote]

Same with me! I was tripping balls on a couple tabs of hi quality L and had just put on a random album I had never heard of before which turned out to be Frances The Mute. It started real quite so I turned it up and was shocked by the explosion of sound that followed the introduction. I was simply too bamboozleblasted by the complex cacophony to reach over to my iPod to change the volume so it just stayed like that the rest of the night

#139 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5898 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:47 AM

I'm pretty sure cd and vinyl were from the same masters in both occasions. Amp definitely sounds bad on cd though.

Frances clips on the CD....

some copies were outright fucked up.

Good times

#140 HolaChau

HolaChau

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 215 posts
  • Joined 23-April 09

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:09 AM

a remaster wouldn't fix that. you're thinking of a remix.

amp is mastered fine. only album not mastered well is noct

What is exactly the difference? I understand the mixing process involves changing the volumes and how predominant each instrument or sound is, am I right?

What is mastering then?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users