IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Tremulant EP Vinyl - Black?help please

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Joel___SMEGMA

Joel___SMEGMA

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • Joined 02-April 07

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:24 AM

So, I've done the searches here and a good, deep Google dive but still no definitive answers.

Is anyone able to tell me if there is a difference in the black or yellow tremulant vinyl cover?
Slight, minute differences even?

Obviously the record in question is sealed. I already have the uk and us yellow versions and I wanna buy a black. But, of course, sealed.

I read through all the coma posts from way back in 03 04 discussing the topic but no definitive answer.

Any help is appreciated!

#2 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6132 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:53 AM

well what do you mean by differences?  Sound?  Visual?  

#3 Jehu

Jehu

I like to drive

• Members
  • 6110 posts
  • Joined 03-November 08
  • Interests:Mostly driving
  • Twitter

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:45 AM

Well for starters, they're different colours. 

#4 Cosmic Lung

Cosmic Lung

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Joined 06-July 07

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:14 AM

Well the second press they took out the awkward band photo from inside but thats about the only change that was made that i would say is significant. I believe they moved the tape machine on the cover to the bottom as well

I have no idea what youre asking though

You should check discogs for different versions/presses

#5 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 6132 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:51 AM

Well the second press they took out the awkward band photo from inside but thats about the only change that was made that i would say is significant. I believe they moved the tape machine on the cover to the bottom as well

whats that photo?

#6 buddh4sack

buddh4sack

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4398 posts
  • Joined 19-April 08
  • Interests:The Secret of The Widow

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:46 AM

whats that photo?

lol, there's a thread about it

https://www.google.c...BqPbTtyCaNK8i7g

tremulant.jpg

I love learning new TMV trivia

#7 Joel___SMEGMA

Joel___SMEGMA

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • Joined 02-April 07

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:19 PM

Sorry if I was not clear before. Apparently I was not.

I meant a visual difference in the outer packaging to determine the color of the vinyl inside.

Fyi trivia: the yellow UK release is a 45 rpm while the yellow us release is 33!

#8 hxcoliver

hxcoliver

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Joined 30-December 09

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:10 PM

oh damn, did not know that about the UK version. good to know.

as far as outer differences, i don't think there is any. my friend used to have a black copy, and it had the exact same cover. unless there are tiny differences on it that i wasn't specifically looking for...

#9 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 6132 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:14 PM

What are the etchings on the black copy out of curiosity?  Discogs doesn't have much info on the different releases.

#10 Joel___SMEGMA

Joel___SMEGMA

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • Joined 02-April 07

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:16 AM

Well I bought an opened black one a few days ago and it should be on my doorstep tomorrow. So, I'll update u on the etchings and if I can find any differences. All 3 copies will be in my household!

#11 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 6132 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:16 AM

Well I bought an opened black one a few days ago and it should be on my doorstep tomorrow. So, I'll update u on the etchings and if I can find any differences. All 3 copies will be in my household!

Cool.  Congrats on the find and congrats on rounding out your tremulant collection.  

#12 A.N.Other

A.N.Other

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3055 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:59 AM

Aren't the etchings the same on all versions?

"nursing a viper in Rome's bosom" and "relax bros we're all bad ass actors here"?

#13 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 6132 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:36 PM

Aren't the etchings the same on all versions?

"nursing a viper in Rome's bosom" and "relax bros we're all bad ass actors here"?

Likely so, but different versions of vinyl can have different etchings.  

#14 Joel___SMEGMA

Joel___SMEGMA

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • Joined 02-April 07

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:13 PM

Showed up yesterday. Very happy about it!

Now to share: Yes, they are the same etchings.

I found an outer difference between the three versions!! Hooray.

The UK version has pretty easily identifiable Mars Volta font lettering in the background of the cover (light gray, behing the real lettering and in a different orientation).

The yellow US version has the same but it is much, much harder to see. But, it's there for sure.

The black US version I just got has no background lettering at all! The foregrounded real lettering (y'know the part that says the Mars Volta on the cover) is on a plain black cover.

There's your difference guys!
(correct me if I'm wrong because I only have one copy of each so I'm assuming they are the same as the rest of their pressing version)

#15 Joel___SMEGMA

Joel___SMEGMA

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • Joined 02-April 07

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:15 PM

O and the reel-to-reel player in the top righthand corner is a slightly different color. One is almost reddish while the other is just grey.

#16 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 6132 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:23 AM

The UK version has pretty easily identifiable Mars Volta font lettering in the background of the cover (light gray, behing the real lettering and in a different orientation).

The yellow US version has the same but it is much, much harder to see. But, it's there for sure.

The black US version I just got has no background lettering at all! The foregrounded real lettering (y'know the part that says the Mars Volta on the cover) is on a plain black cover.

(correct me if I'm wrong because I only have one copy of each so I'm assuming they are the same as the rest of their pressing version)

Kitt would probably be the only other person who could verify this.  

#17 sleepwell

sleepwell

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts
  • Joined 08-February 10

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:20 AM

I have two copies of each US version (black and yellow/marble) and see no difference between the 4 jackets.  The background lettering is really hard to see but it is there when looked at at the right angle on the ones I have.  So who knows whats what.    

#18 suspensemachine

suspensemachine

Conjurer of Delicious Treats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
  • Joined 06-February 12
  • Twitter

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

there are 2 different US yellow versions - the one with a photo on the insert and the one with just the lyrics on the insert. at least for my copies, one is a noticeably lighter yellow marble (lyric only insert) than the other, which is a deeper, more solid yellow (photo insert). my copies both have the really faint grey text on the jacket - i actually never even really noticed it until i read this thread and went looking for it on my copies

then i also have a still sealed US copy that no matter how many different angles i look at it, does not appear to have any of the faint grey text. seems to me like maybe they printed a bunch of jackets without the faint lettering, caught the mistake and ran the rest of the jackets with the lettering, but ended up using which ever jackets they had on hand so as not to waste what they already printed, faint grey lettered or not.

#19 sleepwell

sleepwell

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts
  • Joined 08-February 10

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:41 AM

there are 2 different US yellow versions - the one with a photo on the insert and the one with just the lyrics on the insert. at least for my copies, one is a noticeably lighter yellow marble (lyric only insert) than the other, which is a deeper, more solid yellow (photo insert). my copies both have the really faint grey text on the jacket - i actually never even really noticed it until i read this thread and went looking for it on my copies

then i also have a still sealed US copy that no matter how many different angles i look at it, does not appear to have any of the faint grey text. seems to me like maybe they printed a bunch of jackets without the faint lettering, caught the mistake and ran the rest of the jackets with the lettering, but ended up using which ever jackets they had on hand so as not to waste what they already printed, faint grey lettered or not.

cool cool.  All my copies have the band photo....kind of wish one of them didn't.  I know I could do a search for this but I'm lazy so anyway what is the story with the black and yellow marble US versions?  Was one the first release or is the black copy along the lines of the black frances singles in being a mistake at the pressing plant?

#20 Kitt

Kitt

Ba da be boopi

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1495 posts
  • Joined 29-December 03

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:30 PM

Kitt would probably be the only other person who could verify this.  

verified. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users