IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

What are your 10 fav albums of all time

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8285 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Interests:Writing, Music, Film.
  • Facebook

Posted 04 April 2020 - 05:38 PM

I got my all time list down near perfect but I gotta cross one off to make 10. Feeling really good about it though.

#42 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 8285 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Facebook

Posted 04 April 2020 - 05:40 PM

Did this a few years ago with my daughter in law. It's much harder than it seems and apt to change depending on how I feel. Some of the albums have a more sentimental reason for making the list (Led Zep). One, (Spirit) I hadn't heard for probably 20 some-odd years, saw it on the shelf at the library so I borrowed it and when I listened to it, it was like meeting up with a long lost friend. It made me so happy to hear those songs again and took me back in time. Some I still listen to regularly like the Pink Floyd ones, Yes, too. And some are just my favorites like Tool, the Alice in Chains and of course The Mars Volta.

10. Houses of the Holy Led Zeppelin
9. The Twelve Dreams of Doctor Sardonicus Spirit
8. The Yes Album Yes
7. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath Black Sabbath
6. Toxicity System of a Down
5. Dark Side of the Moon Pink Floyd
4. Animals Pink Floyd
3. Lateralus Tool
2. Dirt Alice in Chains
1. FTM

I love this list dude. We have almost identical taste.

#43 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 8285 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Facebook

Posted 04 April 2020 - 06:08 PM

My list, kind of ranked but not necessarily. The first few that came to mind are certainly the strongest entries of them.

10 all-time albums
1. The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
2. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon
3. Tool - Lateralus (esp. The Holy Gift track reordering)
4. Massive Attack - Mezzanine
5. Daft Punk - Discovery
6. Madvillain - Madvillainy
7. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - f#a#∞
8. Radiohead - Kid A
9. The Beatles - Abbey Road
10. Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile

The album I axed: J Dilla - Donuts

#44 Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man

POWDERED.TOAST.MAN

• Members
  • 11615 posts
  • Joined 20-February 10
  • Twitter

Posted 04 April 2020 - 06:30 PM

My list, kind of ranked but not necessarily. The first few that came to mind are certainly the strongest entries of them.

10 all-time albums
1. The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
2. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon
3. Tool - Lateralus (esp. The Holy Gift track reordering)
4. Massive Attack - Mezzanine
5. Daft Punk - Discovery
6. Madvillain - Madvillainy
7. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - f#a#∞
8. Radiohead - Kid A
9. The Beatles - Abbey Road
10. Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile

The album I axed: J Dilla - Donuts

I like this a lot. Madvillainy is a big Hip hop record for me.

#45 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 8285 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Facebook

Posted 04 April 2020 - 07:05 PM

Subject to change daily, and I'm not including live albums or more than one album by any one artist.

The Mars Volta - Amputechture
Talking Heads - Remain in Light
Fela Kuti - Zombie
Dave Brubeck - Time Out
Ismael Miranda Con Orchestra Harlow - Abran Paso!
Magma - Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh
King Crimson - Red
El-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead
Polysics - National P
Antonin Dvorak - Symphony No. 9

I'll add to the conversation that the one characteristic that often leads to me REALLY connecting with an album is that sense that the music is mere moments from completely falling apart. I dig noise, atonal nonsense, and even a perfectly constructed pop melody, but I love that tension that comes when something feels it could self-destruct in a moments notice. Kind of like your first car, y'know, that 1987 Chevy Cavalier with 200,000+ miles and it rattles when you go past 50 miles per hour. The thrill you get when you actually complete the journey because you were so close to not making it to the destination. When music does that it really hits me in the right emotional spot.

I entertained the thought of a Fela album too... so much of his music is so perfect for a hot summer day mood. Was going to do either Expensive Shit, Gentleman, or the one that has no agreement on it. Idk I love my list as it stands tho.

@PowderedToastMan

Yeah dude I wanted an album for hip hop and I don’t think there’s one that’s as cohesive as Madvillainy. DOOM and Madlib both play off each other with words and beats spectacularly, it’s a multiple listens album to hear everything for sure. I’m betting that the sequel will no doubt disappoint which is a bit depressing.

#46 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4773 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 04 April 2020 - 08:49 PM

Madvillainy would definitely be in my top-x list. But it's just to hard too pick ten.

#47 APJ90

APJ90

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Joined 15-August 10

Posted 05 April 2020 - 07:47 PM

Lock-down is boring, I've been lurking, and I love making lists, so here goes:

Top 10 in no order:

Frances the Mute - The Mars Volta

Burning Off Impurities - Grails (surely one of the most under-appreciated bands of the 00s? Sucks to be purely instrumental, I guess.....)

In The Court Of The Crimson King - King Crimson

S/T - The Stone Roses (stayed away from this one for years, thinking it likely to be massively overrated; heard it through once and was completely won over. My mistake, although I'll allow you to decide where the mistake lies)

Dopesmoker - Sleep

The Joshua Tree - U2

Ten - Pearl Jam (not my favourite grunge band, but my favourite grunge album nonetheless)

In Sides - Orbital

Head Hunters - Herbie Hancock 

Future Days - Can

+ a baker's dozen of honourable mentions, because I'm self-indulgent ;) (....and because any one of these could make it onto my list above on another day)

Dub Terror Exhaust - Automaton (Bill Laswell, pretty much another Zappa/Omar type in terms of volume of output + musical promiscuity)

Floodland - The Sisters Of Mercy

Kid A - Radiohead (one of the first albums i ever listened to; I had no idea what was happening and loved it!)

World Music - Goat

Muso Ko - Habib Koite

Pirates' Choice - Orchestra Baobab

Endtroducing.... - DJ Shadow

Sounds Of The Satellites - Laika

Post To Wire - Heather Duby

The Koln Concert - Keith Jarrett (terrible quality instrument, mostly incredible playing)

Silent Shout - The Knife

Graceland - Paul Simon (another one of the first albums I ever listened to; still great despite certain very obviously 80s sounds)

Marquee Moon - Television

#48 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 6090 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 06 April 2020 - 03:52 AM

One of the reasons I always really dug the Volta fandom is that it pulls people from a lot of different other scenes and tastes.  These lists demonstrate just how varied our interests are.  

#49 Ghost Of Shark Horse

Ghost Of Shark Horse

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1689 posts
  • Joined 15-June 15

Posted 06 April 2020 - 04:08 AM

S/T - The Stone Roses (stayed away from this one for years, thinking it likely to be massively overrated; heard it through once and was completely won over. My mistake, although I'll allow you to decide where the mistake lies)

It's good to see The Stones Rose on a list, they're not really talked about here. Fool's Gold would be in my top 10 tracks. The Second Coming is a great record. It got proper panned at the time but I always thought it was better than the first, to most SR's fan's horror.

#50 Ghost Of Shark Horse

Ghost Of Shark Horse

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1689 posts
  • Joined 15-June 15

Posted 06 April 2020 - 04:10 AM

One of the reasons I always really dug the Volta fandom is that it pulls people from a lot of different other scenes and tastes.  These lists demonstrate just how varied our interests are.  

This. I've found so much good music through this place, it also helps that nobody I know IRL likes TMV.

#51 scorpio

scorpio

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5240 posts
  • Joined 13-June 05

Posted 06 April 2020 - 04:42 AM

APJ90 lists Pearl Jam's Ten and even though I was never that big of a Pearl Jam fan, I remember that record just being huge for me and along with Nirvana kind of changed the trajectory of music in the early 90s. (and Eddie Vedder brooding on MTV) I thought about putting one or the other of those on my list because I loved them both so much back in the day but I kind of went with ones that were more sentimental somehow. Or shaped the kind of music that appeals to me or something idk.

#52 APJ90

APJ90

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Joined 15-August 10

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:07 AM

It's good to see The Stones Rose on a list, they're not really talked about here. Fool's Gold would be in my top 10 tracks. The Second Coming is a great record. It got proper panned at the time but I always thought it was better than the first, to most SR's fan's horror.

The Second Coming is so much better than you would expect given the overall reaction it got when it was released (and still continues to get in some quarters). With rave, shoegaze, and 60s-influenced Britpop all being fairly dominant at the time, I think 70s-style classic rock sounds were simply considered massively uncool in the UK. Maybe people were too invested in the cultural 'narrative' to actually accept the music for what it is; there's some great playing on that record.

In fact, I've generally found that the 'cool-seeking' crowd (or whatever you want to call them) in the UK often seems to have a massive issue with any kind of music that has even a vaguely discernable 70s guitar-rock influence to it. So many of the key musical movements in the UK (punk, new wave, rave, britpop etc) have tended to position themselves as reactions against (and rejections of) 70s rock stylings, to the point that influential voices in UK music (particularly music journalists) have often worn their dislike of classic-rock-influenced acts as a badge of honour. That being said, I do feel that this attitude is MUCH less prevalent than it used to be (thankfully). There's room for all of this stuff out there, and I just don't find any one genre to be inherently superior to any other; it's all just personal taste, after all. I mean, it often turned-out that many of the punk, new wave, rave, and britpop musicians loved some 70s(-style) guitar-rock anyway, so....

#53 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 6324 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 10 April 2020 - 11:05 AM

Hey Carl if I wanted to get into King Gizzard how should I do it?

#54 Ghost Of Shark Horse

Ghost Of Shark Horse

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1689 posts
  • Joined 15-June 15

Posted 10 April 2020 - 12:30 PM

Take him out for a romantic meal? If that goes well try spitting on his anus... I get the feeling you already know this  :shrug:

#55 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 6324 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14

Posted 10 April 2020 - 12:41 PM

Wow. Ok.

#56 mydogmegalo

mydogmegalo

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Joined 07-April 20

Posted 10 April 2020 - 01:54 PM

is anyone else suddenly craving a hotdog?

#57 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 6090 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 10 April 2020 - 02:33 PM

Nonagon Infinity or I'm In Your Mind Fuzz

Polygondawanaland

Sketches of Brunswick East

if you give the three of those a listen and aren't digging it they probably aren't a fit for you, but those three do a good job of exploring the breadth of their styles which is pretty massive at this point.

#58 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 6324 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14

Posted 10 April 2020 - 02:43 PM

Thanks mate.

#59 Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man

POWDERED.TOAST.MAN

• Members
  • 11615 posts
  • Joined 20-February 10
  • Twitter

Posted 10 April 2020 - 03:06 PM

I think you'd definitely dig KGATLW, Drossi.

#60 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 10344 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 10 April 2020 - 03:40 PM

Basically what snkzato said, plus: float along fill your lungs and/or oddments for their take on psychedelic revivalism.

Nonagon infinity is like a prog album made entirely of a krautrock jam.

Polygondwanaland is my absolute fav. People have called it tool-lite. I wouldn't go that far, but i kinda get why someone would say that. Especially from halfway the album onward. It's a weird combination of a folky, hypnotic approach using weird metres and whatnot, with synthesizer ambience, and a cool old fashioned proggy concept story.

In fact, it's worth it checking out theories about the so-called gizzverse. Most of their albums are connected through a nonlinear story that is kind of about the end of the world. Many of their songs are overtly environmentalist minded. The overall message seems to be that if we, as humanity, keep continuing the way we have, either we or the planet is gonna go extinct rather sooner than later.

I could go on, each of their albums is a different genre, yet all have a similar atmosphere. Kind of like what john peel said about the fall. They're always different yet always the same.

Everything is worth checking out :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users