IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

‘How Do You Dub’ vs ‘De Facto self titled’Discuss your reactions to the original 1999 De Facto EP compared to the How Do You Dub rerelease

De Facto defacto how do you dub? 1999 2001 EP You fight for dub you plug dub in. original

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 The janitor

The janitor

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Joined 09-April 06

Posted 14 June 2020 - 01:26 AM

Hi, first time posting in a long time. I love De Facto and have been googling around for this topic but nobody seems to have touched on it.

As many of you may know, De Facto’s 1999 EP was later re-released as ‘How Do You Dub? You Fight For Dub. You Plug Dub In.’ but with a slightly different track listing. The A sides are identical. The B side deleted track 2 (Drop) and tacked on a “new” song at the end with Ikey called “Nux Vomica/Coaxialreturn”.
I bought the original vinyl release of ‘How Do You Dub’ because it was half the price of the og EP.

Listening: sounds good, but the addition of the last song at the end really kills the momentum. It’s not a bad song, but it just doesn’t fit and it kills my vibe. I thought, “Why would they do this? I know they were probably on a ton of drugs, but still...”. I listened to side B again later to see if it was just me, but no, same result, I just felt tired and burned out...not an enjoyable experience.
I at least needed to hear “Drop” to compare and see what the deal is, but I couldn’t find the track anywhere online (it could be around somewhere but it’s a bitch to search for). So I went ahead and ordered the og EP on vinyl.

I gotta say, Drop isn’t a great song. There’s some very loud, shrill, high pitch noises going on that are honestly pretty irritating, I had to cut the volume a bit just to get through it. The vibe IS there, (afterall it’s all the same batch of recordings) but it’s clearly the runt and I can see why they chose to revise this release.

My verdict: The original release wins, but not by much. Radio Rebelde is a banger, ending the album on a high note, which makes it a much more uplifting experience overall.

What are your thoughts on this? Has anybody else compared both releases? Even if you’ve only heard one or the other please feel free to leave your impressions.

#2 rroseselavy

rroseselavy

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 225 posts
  • Joined 13-December 19

Posted 14 June 2020 - 10:09 AM

I heard both and agree with everything you said.

#3 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10317 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 14 June 2020 - 12:44 PM

Same

#4 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9212 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11

Posted 14 June 2020 - 12:45 PM

I love Nux Vomica/coaxialreturn. I think it's a nice spacey way to end the EP

I know I had an mp3 of Drop but it's been years since I heard it and dont think I ever did in the context of the ep

#5 The janitor

The janitor

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Joined 09-April 06

Posted 22 June 2020 - 06:00 PM

I love Nux Vomica/coaxialreturn. I think it's a nice spacey way to end the EP
I know I had an mp3 of Drop but it's been years since I heard it and dont think I ever did in the context of the ep

That’s cool. I do still wanna hear Nux Vomica/Coaxialreturn on its own just so I can experience it for what it is. Part of me wonders if it could’ve been taken from the Mario C sessions, wouldn’t mind comparing it to the single/EP on Grand Royal at some point, just cause ya know, I’m a huge fuckin dork.

#6 rroseselavy

rroseselavy

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 225 posts
  • Joined 13-December 19

Posted 22 June 2020 - 08:43 PM

Part of me wonders if it could’ve been taken from the Mario C sessions, wouldn’t mind comparing it to the single/EP on Grand Royal at some point, just cause ya know, I’m a huge fuckin dork.

Confirmed not at Mario C's studio. Booklet says "Rec - Dec 2000 at Anikulapo Republic Of Sound (O&C's home in Long Beach)". Mario C session took place around the same time though.

#7 The janitor

The janitor

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Joined 09-April 06

Posted 23 June 2020 - 09:22 PM

Part of me wonders if it could’ve been taken from the Mario C sessions, wouldn’t mind comparing it to the single/EP on Grand Royal at some point, just cause ya know, I’m a huge fuckin dork.

Confirmed not at Mario C's studio. Booklet says "Rec - Dec 2000 at Anikulapo Republic Of Sound (O&C's home in Long Beach)". Mario C session took place around the same time though.

Roger that, thank you!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: De Facto, defacto, how do you dub?, 1999, 2001, EP, You fight for dub, you plug dub in., original

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users