IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

RIP Scott Weiland

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9243 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:32 AM

I know a few of you are STP etc fans. Apparently he was found dead on his tour bus, just before he was due to go on stage. I wasn't really a fan but still pretty shocking to hear

http://www.brooklynv..._weiland_r.html

#2 iamisandisnt

iamisandisnt

The joke is INSIDE the joke!

• Members
  • 13056 posts
  • Joined 09-February 06

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:04 AM

Weird... watching a documentary about the Kurt Cobain death conspiracy, lots of strong evidence. Wouldn't think the same about Weiland... loved his voice. He kinda lost it in the end, but it was a beautiful disaster..

#3 nembutals

nembutals

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • Joined 16-July 10

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:43 AM

Sad news, but not really unexpected if anyone saw footage of his recent performances... guy just looked like a zombie. Addiction is an awful thing, and its an especially sad way for a man of 48 to go out on a tour bus like that. Wish he could have moved through it and won against that monster, but he was fighting it for a long time.

I haven't listened to him in earnest in a long time, but I loved that first Velvet Revolver album when it came out in my middle school years. It was one of the first rock music albums I ever got into, and in many ways it opened the door to music in general for me. I love so many different sounds now -- I've been getting into lots of underground hip hop lately -- but I can trace it all back to that time in my life and the few bands that first caught my ears and got me started, them being one.

RIP man.

#4 nembutals

nembutals

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • Joined 16-July 10

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:50 AM

Also 666 get

#5 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2971 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:27 PM

Sad but not unexpected, dude was a junkie for a long long long time and regrettably pushed away everyone who tried to act as a support system and help him through it. talented guy, but another one lost to we can only assume drug use.

#6 Bane Fubar

Bane Fubar

Twat.

• Members
  • 32781 posts
  • Joined 16-February 07

Posted 04 December 2015 - 04:17 PM

Texted a couple of friends when the news broke, people who saw them with me in concert in 2000.

One of them just said, "Fuck."

The other said, "Surprised he lasted that long."

It's still sad though. And on the point of having listened to them recently, I just got a new phone this year and one of the first things I did is upload the Thank You album by Stone Temple Pilots. I've been jamming out to STP for most of the year after having gone nearly a decade not paying them much attention.

#7 temporal lob

temporal lob

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Joined 02-September 13

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:10 AM

Say what you will about STP, but they appealed to quite a diverse audience. When Chester Bennington said he was leaving the band I thought a reunion was in the works. They were on quite a roll for a while there in the 90s. RIP

#8 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 14126 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:38 AM

RIP

#9 Pongo

Pongo

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1122 posts
  • Joined 09-September 04

Posted 05 December 2015 - 09:03 PM

Pretty versatile singer.

#10 Bane Fubar

Bane Fubar

Twat.

• Members
  • 32781 posts
  • Joined 16-February 07

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:07 AM

I remember in 2002/2003-ish being on vacation in Florida listening to the radio, they were playing Velvet Revolver on the radio and after their song a DJ comes on to talk about how Weiland had just got busted with drugs.

Imagine if he didn't have his celebrity status and money, he would have either spent hard time in jail or maybe gone into some kind of treatment center.

As Sam Kinison said, when you spend $10,000 on rehab, you don't have a problem. You have a problem when you are broke.

#11 rissmiss

rissmiss

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2139 posts
  • Joined 28-August 06

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:39 AM

I honestly wasn't shocked to hear this at all, actually thought he was already dead, but this was upsetting. I loved STP when I was younger and he was my first musician crush when I was like 10. not sure why... but it's sad that he was never able to get past his additions and went down the path he did for so long.

#12 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 14126 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:34 AM

I can't say I'm surprised he died this way, I just wasn't expecting it right now, though a while ago I saw a video of him singing a STP song and he seemed drunk, at least

I have some good memories of listening to Velvet Revolver, their first album was decent

#13 rissmiss

rissmiss

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2139 posts
  • Joined 28-August 06

Posted 06 December 2015 - 03:36 AM

I like how the last song you posted was regarding his battle with heroin and how it effected his personal life. which he wrote while one of his brief periods of sobriety if I remember correctly. I believe that woman in the video is his wife or maybe ex wife? Not sure if they got divorced

I loved that song back then. can't believe its over a decade old...

#14 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 14126 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 06 December 2015 - 04:52 AM

yeah I feel nostalgic already I remember A Crow Left of The Murder also came out that year, I listened to a lot of Red Hot Chili Peppers and Incubus when I was 13, I can't remember much more than that

#15 BlakeSstackhouse

BlakeSstackhouse

Simulacrum

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts
  • Joined 24-June 13
  • Interests:Midgets with one leg. Giants with five eyes. Reciting woman into polarity. Human Taxidermist. 25 glowing blue candles in a dark well or inside of a whales belly. Three pronged frogs. Court cases that deal with missing fingers. The study of Germ locations as opposed to counterfeit.
  • Facebook
  • Myspace
  • Twitter

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:06 AM

Joe Stackhouse passed away two days ago, he was a great man who didn't do drugs and he never wrote shitty songs about things that don't matter and he didn't prance around on stage like it was a leisure

#16 Bane Fubar

Bane Fubar

Twat.

• Members
  • 32781 posts
  • Joined 16-February 07

Posted 06 December 2015 - 06:13 PM

This is a great way to remember him. I enjoyed Velvet Revolver as well.

#17 Bane Fubar

Bane Fubar

Twat.

• Members
  • 32781 posts
  • Joined 16-February 07

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:23 PM

Whoa: http://www.rollingst...ragedy-20151207

December 3rd, 2015 is not the day Scott Weiland died. It is the official day the public will use to mourn him, and it was the last day he could be propped up in front of a microphone for the financial benefit or enjoyment of others. The outpouring of condolences and prayers offered to our children, Noah and Lucy, has been overwhelming, appreciated and even comforting. But the truth is, like so many other kids, they lost their father years ago. What they truly lost on December 3rd was hope.

#18 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2971 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:37 PM

You have to feel for his ex wife....shes allows to express herself in this time of grief.

And she does make a good point, too often these people die and get idolized, as though they're some martyr. Drug addict in is brutal and tough and terrible on everyone especially the family of a drug user. People do need to take rock stars off pedestals because while many do lead normal productive lives, you'd be kidding yourself if you defended how Scott conducted himself over the years.

Remember him for what he was: an amazing talent, a grossly flawed drug using individual who lost his life due to a lifetime of bad decisions. Be creative, don't do drugs kids, you can do amazing things without consuming all that nonsense

#19 iamisandisnt

iamisandisnt

The joke is INSIDE the joke!

• Members
  • 13056 posts
  • Joined 09-February 06

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:47 AM

I pity Weiland with extreme reverance like you would for the last vestiges of light on a frozen day or the dying ramblings of Kafka, hurling his manifestos into the fireplace.

The idea that people who do great things have to be great themselves is abhorent, imo. It basically means, if you don't think you're a good person, then you shouldn't try to be one because it doesn't matter if you're John fucking Lennon or Ghandi, people will always remember you for your flaws.

I for one believe that while he may have done wrong to his family, he gave us his sadness and his sadness will be more eternal than his pain. The message of warning that he's left us with, the detailed, emotive diatribes on what it's like to BE someone...that is invaluable.

His family may never forgive him, and he may never deserve to be forgiven, but I for one believe in some sort of artistic redemption...some belief that because he pushed through being a BAD PERSON, anyone can.

My movie Engrams has a lot to do with this concept, actually. There's a whole scene copied almost verbatim from a conversation I had in real life over the value of one's life if they don't think they're a good person.

It's a complex issue and a lot of people suffer from this sort of self destructive depression and hedonism. It's worth noting that for everyone he hurt, he may have saved others through remaining strong through his words alone...

#20 scorpio

scorpio

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5251 posts
  • Joined 13-June 05

Posted 10 December 2015 - 12:31 AM

Yeah, I thought the ex-wife's statement was in poor taste. I can understand she is bitter and that Scott Weiland was a shitty dad, etc... But dude was sick. She showed a complete lack of class and proved herself to be a shitty person as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users