IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Kayo Dothttp://kayodot.bandcamp.com/

• Please log in to reply
1516 replies to this topic

#1 Agajagajagajagajaga

Agajagajagajagajaga

Agrajag/Nivius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12077 posts
  • Joined 21-October 03

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:51 AM

Let's try to keep this a little cleaner!

Discuss all things Kayo Dot in here... and keep the discussion as meaningful as possible, unless your spam is actually funny/good - which it probably isn't, so don't.

At this point I can officially say the album has blown me away. It took a couple skeptical listens on my part, but it finally opened up. This just requires a mindful approach with careful listening. There are wonderful little details present on every song, and they all have a pretty great clarity of intention and execution. Perhaps the lyrics aren't as "beautiful" or "fantastical" as the past albums, but they are very cool in their own strangely whimsical way. If you pretend that the music you're hearing is simply by a totally new band, without a name, they fit in quite beautifully with the atmosphere of the album. It's all definitely a more cerebral state of affairs than before, and probably will receive fewer listens than not only the other Kayo Dot albums but many other albums in general. But this doesn't mean it isn't spectacular; after all, who among us listens to Strumming Music very often?

#2 Rob_Floyd

Rob_Floyd

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1178 posts
  • Joined 03-April 05

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:58 AM

At this point, I can easily say that this is their greatest album.

#3 pixiesfanyo

pixiesfanyo

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3979 posts
  • Joined 03-April 04
  • Interests:Bass Guitar, Music, Film Making, Poetry and Song Writing

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:59 AM

don't really comprehend the need for a new thread.

seems stupid.

#4 Agajagajagajagajaga

Agajagajagajagajaga

Agrajag/Nivius

• Members
  • 12077 posts
  • Joined 21-October 03

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:04 AM

I've been getting requests for a new Kayo Dot thread for some time, and I think now that we've finally all gotten the new material, there's never been a better time. Fresh starts feel good; the discussion should end up being more focused. Additionally it will now be very easy to choose to read discussion about the band before the release of Blue Lambency Downward just by going into the other thread.

Unless you'd like the Comatorium to be famous for being the site with the 600 page Kayo Dot thread, but then I could always merge this one back anyway.

I guess the way I see it as is, at best maybe a few decent benefits, at worst who really cares anyway?

#5 Guest_The Comatorium Community_*

Guest_The Comatorium Community_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:26 AM

Inflate Toby's ego with another thread. Great job, Alex.

Seriously though, Lambency is the superior record in the Kayo Dot catalogue.

#6 whorepresents?

whorepresents?

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 20199 posts
  • Joined 08-May 05

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:03 AM

im currently on my second listen
I imagine i will like this, but it will take a few more listens

I'm definitely not really feeling the vocals though
there are a few good moments vocally, but in general they aren't up to standard of on limpid form, or amareth the peddler etc.

#7 Guest_The Comatorium Community_*

• Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:20 AM

The Useless Ladder is my favorite song. Short, and melodic. I like how the first part with vocals is so theatrical. It really reminds me of Webber's Phantom of the Opera.

#8 Aldo Arevalo

Aldo Arevalo

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Joined 17-January 07

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:24 AM

I think the length is very important.
People were complaining about how this one was too short, but I think that Dowsing could have been shorter.

AND THAT'S MY TWO CENTS.

Oh, wait, except this album is still amazing and impressing me the more I listen to it.

#9 Guest_shotgunjoe_*

Guest_shotgunjoe_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:45 AM

I fucking love this album.

I agree with what you say Alex that it is a much more cerebral experience. However, what I think they have succeeded in doing this time round is making an album that can be appreciated by listening closely or just putting on for background music, due to its shorter length in comparison to the other two records. Its definetely their most developed album to date.

Good job Toby.

#10 Shao Kahn

Shao Kahn

• Members
  • 5658 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:the precious
  • Myspace

Posted 24 April 2008 - 01:05 PM

i agree that a bunch of noobs infiltrated the thread post dowsing, pre-recording of lambency.

but hey, who am i to talk? i only joined this board in 06 and then got myself into the band, without the comatorium i would have never heard them. but the last thread was too much bullshit. now they're like, the biggest band on this board. did anyone notice within the first day of the leak there was over 30 reviews on RYM. what the hell? i'm sure there are even more now, i have not checked.

about the album, i've only given it one listen. i made sure that i did not download it onto my mac and listen to it from there first (i haven't done this in a long time) so i went straight to my PC, which has way better speakers in comparison. i turned it up and just enjoyed the new album. i don't know how surprised i was when i first heard it, to me it's kind of what i expected from reading everyone elses opinions from the live shows. i loved it on first listen, i need to hear it again today. i've just been so lazy lately.

#11 mandos

mandos

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2369 posts
  • Joined 03-December 05
  • Myspace

Posted 24 April 2008 - 01:18 PM

This album is scaling up to my top 10 favorite albums ever.

#12 Axonite

Axonite

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • Joined 16-March 08

Posted 24 April 2008 - 01:42 PM

wtf does he say in that one part

i dont want to be a melody, i prefer a choking sound?

something like that, anyone got it?

#13 Guest_The Comatorium Community_*

• Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:04 PM

wtf does he say in that one part

i dont want to be a melody, i prefer a choking sound?

something like that, anyone got it?

Haha, I heard that too.

There was this other part where he was talking about turning the violin down.

Mia was probably a bitch that day.

#14 Shao Kahn

Shao Kahn

• Members
  • 5658 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:the precious
  • Myspace

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:40 PM

hahaha

#15 Mopho

Mopho

peanut butter and jaaaaammm!!

• Members
  • 6167 posts
  • Joined 26-October 06

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:58 PM

Discuss all things Kayo Dot in here... and keep the discussion as meaningful as possible, unless your spam is actually funny/good - which it probably isn't, so don't.

At this point I can officially say the album has blown me away. It took a couple skeptical listens on my part, but it finally opened up. This just requires a mindful approach with careful listening. There are wonderful little details present on every song, and they all have a pretty great clarity of intention and execution. Perhaps the lyrics aren't as "beautiful" or "fantastical" as the past albums, but they are very cool in their own strangely whimsical way. If you pretend that the music you're hearing is simply by a totally new band, without a name, they fit in quite beautifully with the atmosphere of the album. It's all definitely a more cerebral state of affairs than before, and probably will receive fewer listens than not only the other Kayo Dot albums but many other albums in general. But this doesn't mean it isn't spectacular; after all, who among us listens to Strumming Music very often?

That's a wonderful idea, but in reality it is Kayo Dot. This album is such a departure from what I love about their previous work. There isn't even anything of the same calibre as Immortelle, which is devoid of any crushing guitars and screams, but is still one of their best songs.

I'm so bummed about this. It seems every band I discover and fall in love with turns to shit. Be it from breaking up, members dying or in the case of TMV and KD their music changing completely.

#16 Baboon

Baboon

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2621 posts
  • Joined 26-February 05
  • Interests:Derrida.

Posted 24 April 2008 - 03:14 PM

I'm definitely not really feeling the vocals though
there are a few good moments vocally, but in general they aren't up to standard of on limpid form, or amareth the peddler etc.

Agreed.

That's a wonderful idea, but in reality it is Kayo Dot. This album is such a departure from what I love about their previous work. There isn't even anything of the same calibre as Immortelle, which is devoid of any crushing guitars and screams, but is still one of their best songs.

I'm so bummed about this. It seems every band I discover and fall in love with turns to shit. Be it from breaking up, members dying or in the case of TMV and KD their music changing completely.

Agreed further. Got through my third listen on the way back to mine this morning, and for me, the grip and grasp feeling of the previous records is not there. I think the truth is with me that this album will never be as liked by me as the previous records, the tenacity of it is just not there for me, and my love of mind melting collections of waves of noise. However, I feel there is little point in my contributing over and over to this (new) thread about my disappointment for the album, so my responses will be few and far between. Suffice to say however, this isn't a bad album, it merely isn't to my liking (or Mopho's for that matter, but I shan't speak for them).

I'm off to Cut That City.

#17 I Love Dick

I Love Dick

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • Joined 22-April 08

Posted 24 April 2008 - 03:33 PM

symmetrical arizona is the only track i really dig.

#18 sepoe

sepoe

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5315 posts
  • Joined 23-February 07

Posted 24 April 2008 - 03:52 PM

At this point, I can easily say that this is their greatest album.

#19 Rickoss

Rickoss

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • Joined 29-June 07

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:01 PM

Ooh, I like having a new thread. Good to get a fresh start...

So far I'm really loving The Useless Ladder (don't like the abrupt end... but such a great piece) and Symmetrical Arizona. Guitar tone put me off at first.. but what a brilliant track. Definitely the most listenable Kayo Dot album yet... (haven't heard all of Choirs though :x)

#20 Lavik

Lavik

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2600 posts
  • Joined 02-January 05
  • Interests:Lots of stuff<br />ffxi<br />coffee<br />guitar<br />weed<br />talk to meeee

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:12 PM

tight album 4sho

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users