IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

The Mars Volta will play again2015

• Please log in to reply
7477 replies to this topic

#7461 Andrewf

Andrewf

Custom Rank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5185 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted Yesterday, 07:08 AM

Don’t pm me

Don't talk to me or my son ever again

#7462 Jack Austin Gilbert 7

Jack Austin Gilbert 7

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1319 posts
  • Joined 15-April 07
  • Interests:Unanimous wedge, baby

Posted Yesterday, 09:37 AM

I think tremulant is one of the best volta records and i am not even kidding. When i followed them back in the day, deloused seemed like a pop/sell-out version of tremulant-esque ideas, and FtM was even further towards the neoclassicist prog concept album.

Scabdates and amputechture were my favs with tremulant because they had edge, to me.

Everything else is the slow decay of the band for me. I switched to pure omar around the time calibration was released

Don't get me wrong i love all omar-related material, even the worst turds, so I'm basically just being dramatic.

But yeah just saying, to me tremulant is one of their few actual masterpieces. I guess also because it's short, so it's easier not to make tourniquet man shaped mistakes halfway

This, man, what the fuck are they saying it belongs in the bin. Tremulant goes harder than anything that came after it. Maybe not the “best” work because it’s so limited in scope, but genuinely fantastic top to bottom which I can’t say about any other Volta release.

Listened to the “new” Inertiatic for the first time tonight. Sounded really good, didn’t get Tremulant energy from it like some of you but enjoyed that it’s a more finished version of the already great summer demo version. Those summer recordings really sound like their own thing, neither like Tremulant or the finished DITC. Looking forward to the rest.

#7463 broccoli bro

broccoli bro

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 180 posts
  • Joined 19-September 20

Posted Yesterday, 04:36 PM

https://www.discogs..../master/1279393 this official promo EP from 2003 contains "eunuch" deloused + drunkship and eriatarka from landscape tantrums.

The „rough 02“ note btw proves the eunuch is from ditc session because the other rough on this is ditc apparatus while the landscape tantrums tracks are called „demo 02“

-

I love Tremulant, Concertina and Eunuch are among my favorite TMV songs and I like the EP versions better than the re-recordings.

#7464 shiggityshwo

shiggityshwo

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Joined 20-August 08

Posted Yesterday, 05:00 PM

I like the energy of the updated Concertina, but the studio version of it just feels too clean to me, if I ever feel like listening to it I go to Scabdates 

#7465 brucef

brucef

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 226 posts
  • Joined 26-February 16

Posted Yesterday, 05:03 PM

PM Please guys, thanks :)

#7466 nembutals

nembutals

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Joined 16-July 10

Posted Yesterday, 06:20 PM

Pm me 2 plx

#7467 roobster

roobster

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Joined 30-July 03

Posted Yesterday, 06:23 PM

It's 100% subjective, the songwriting/arrangement just feels unfinished to me. Like the beginning with just guitar and drums sounds like something is missing, unlike every other track on the album. The bassline which then comes in - to me - feels like a placeholder for a more interesting bassline in the future. Or maybe that wasn't intended and they just realized it's not on the same level as the other ones.

In 2003 I was lucky enough to interview Omar when they played in Puerto Rico.

The magazine/site is long gone since 2008... but I posted a link here back then and somebody ran it on a translator... the translation is pretty bad but you can understand the majority. Also, this was my first interview with somebody I didn't already know and I was barely  20... so sorry it wasn't all that great. But we talked about Plague a bit. You can find it somewhere here:

http://forum.thecoma...31&hl=interview

Good luck trying to read that... but he pretty much said that it didn't fit in with the rest of the album and that he may use parts of it later on. Unfortunately, the article was edited and part of that answer didn't make it... he also said something like he knew the song probably wasn't going to be on the album but still wanted to go through it to understand it better or something like that...

#7468 vacuumo

vacuumo

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Joined 23-February 05

Posted Yesterday, 06:26 PM

The magazine/site is long gone since 2008... 

mira, mira https://web.archive..../story_4101.php

#7469 roobster

roobster

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Joined 30-July 03

Posted Yesterday, 07:19 PM

!!!!!!

Thank you!

#7470 broccoli bro

broccoli bro

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 180 posts
  • Joined 19-September 20

Posted Yesterday, 07:47 PM

!!!!!!

Thank you!

Wow, this Interview reveals Flea overdubbed his parts after the band had already tracked live.

#7471 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7938 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09
  • Interests:Peace, love and bass.

Posted Yesterday, 08:34 PM

And Paul did a tour with them as sound manipulator before joining as a full time member?

#7472 roobster

roobster

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Joined 30-July 03

Posted Yesterday, 09:35 PM

And Paul did a tour with them as sound manipulator before joining as a full time member?

Looks like it. If I knew that at the time, it must have been well known around here.

#7473 A.N.Other

A.N.Other

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3109 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Posted Yesterday, 09:40 PM

He is definitely in the credits for Live at the Electric Ballroom.

#7474 Jack Austin Gilbert 7

Jack Austin Gilbert 7

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1319 posts
  • Joined 15-April 07
  • Interests:Unanimous wedge, baby

Posted Yesterday, 09:49 PM

Can somebody share a link?

#7475 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3068 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted Yesterday, 09:56 PM

!!!!!!

Thank you!
Wow, this Interview reveals Flea overdubbed his parts after the band had already tracked live.

That part I did not know - had for some reason always assumed at least that him and Jon Theodore would have tracked their parts together. So rest of band recorded together and then they had flea do bass because they needed a bass player? In that case, why not have Omar play bass on the album?

I kid - flea is my all time favoriste bass player and so I’m glad he’s on that album....just surprised he didn’t track live with Jon given how well they got the bass to fit into the pocket. Guess that’s how it is when you’re that good of a player, you can fit right in...

#7476 broccoli bro

broccoli bro

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 180 posts
  • Joined 19-September 20

Posted Yesterday, 10:07 PM

I did some research about this for the history spreadsheet and it looks like he joined them in between tours with Sparta between July 1st (Henry Fonda) and August 3rd (Summer Sonic, Tokyo) 2003. After that his first show as a "full member" in 2005 was in Denver on May 31st.

#7477 9705

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 172 posts
  • Joined 14-July 08

Posted Today, 12:43 AM

PM Please

#7478 Petra

Petra

Simulacrum

• Members