IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Ipecac series - songs split across multiple tracksHas anyone put them together cleanly?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 seventieslord

seventieslord

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Joined 01-January 17

Posted 29 May 2017 - 03:27 PM

As we're all aware, there are plenty of instances in the 22 Ipecac series albums where a song is split across multiple tracks. Probably the most notorious of them is Chocolate Tumour Hormone Parade, which is made up of just three songs, inexplicably split into ten songs and horribly named. When I burn them onto an audio CD to listen in the car, there's an audible break. When I burn an mp3 CD, it's even worse. If I listen in Winamp or itunes, it's almost perfect, but not quite. I can still tell. I want to be able to hear it the way it would/will sound if/when it comes out on CD. Like, for example, A Device Imagined to Turn Screaming Babies Inside Out at the Push Of a Button.

I am normally a stickler for this kind of thing and want to be able to have the tracks ripped the way they were meant to heard. It hasn't been a major concern because all along I was sure I'd have these albums on CD some day, and could rip them at that time. But having confronted the possibility that this may never happen, or may not happen for a very long time still, I thought I'd reach out to the board. Has anyone managed to put tracks like those on Chocolate Tumor Hormone Parade together into one?

#2 Andrewf

Andrewf

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4552 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 29 May 2017 - 03:55 PM

if you want to have 100% no skips you should download a flac version. mp3 will always have milli-seconds of silence between the tracks and it can not be fixed (unless you delete those milliseconds manually).

also, chocolate tumor is actually 7 songs and only 3 of them are split.

#3 sigh

sigh

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Joined 04-October 16

Posted 29 May 2017 - 03:58 PM

The streaming version of Chocolate Tumor Hormone Parade on Apple Music feels very seameless

#4 A.N.Other

A.N.Other

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3046 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Posted 29 May 2017 - 04:08 PM

Foobar2000 does gapless mp3 playback (so does Play Music on my Android phone). But yeah if you're burning CDs you need FLACs.

You can also join multiple tracks into one with Foobar.

#5 seventieslord

seventieslord

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Joined 01-January 17

Posted 29 May 2017 - 04:49 PM

Interesting, I've never really had a need for FLAC but maybe it's time to try them for this purpose.

Still, this is maybe not worth the work if these will all come out on CD eventually. Does anyone have any inside information on what the box set(s) will be? 

I'd be looking for CD only, not vinyl or a massive CD/vinyl combo. 

#6 seventieslord

seventieslord

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Joined 01-January 17

Posted 29 May 2017 - 04:50 PM

also, chocolate tumor is actually 7 songs and only 3 of them are split.

Yes, of course, that's what I get for trying to go by memory.

#7 A.N.Other

A.N.Other

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3046 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Posted 29 May 2017 - 05:38 PM

I wouldn't get your hopes up with the boxset (in any format)

#8 seventieslord

seventieslord

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Joined 01-January 17

Posted 29 May 2017 - 05:45 PM

I wouldn't get your hopes up with the boxset (in any format)

Yeah... right from the start it sounded like the kind of thing that would end up being brushed aside and they'll all just hope we're happy with digital format.... 

#9 hbk111

hbk111

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3002 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:10 PM

You guys get so weird about releases. There is more coming, and they promised a box set, so wait until the series is done and you'll get the boxset lol. It's like if you don't get it immediately then it's "not coming out ever". I read the same stuff about Bosnian Rainbows and Antemasque. EVERYTHING will be released in time. Be patient, make some music, enjoy the plethora of recent releases and before you know it...the rest of the albums will be out. Vinyl, CD, we don't know, but there will be a set.

Patience people.

#10 seventieslord

seventieslord

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Joined 01-January 17

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:19 PM

So, what if I've bought everything in mp3 format and I want to go back and download a few albums in flac? I just assumed I could go in there anytime, and bandcamp would know I've purchased these albums already, and allow a re-download. But that option is not there - not even for the most recent albums less than 60 days old.

Any idea what I can do?

#11 Jehu

Jehu

I like to drive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6108 posts
  • Joined 03-November 08
  • Interests:Mostly driving
  • Twitter

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:41 PM

You guys get so weird about releases. There is more coming, and they promised a box set, so wait until the series is done and you'll get the boxset lol. It's like if you don't get it immediately then it's "not coming out ever". I read the same stuff about Bosnian Rainbows and Antemasque. EVERYTHING will be released in time. Be patient, make some music, enjoy the plethora of recent releases and before you know it...the rest of the albums will be out. Vinyl, CD, we don't know, but there will be a set.

Patience people.

Promised releases that don't pan out is a staple of the TMV/ORL world. I'm not saying your rationale is wrong, there's plenty of reason to still believe everything you listed will come out eventually, but a bit of apprehension is pretty understandable given the track record of the past 10-15 years. 

#12 A.N.Other

A.N.Other

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3046 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:02 PM

So, what if I've bought everything in mp3 format and I want to go back and download a few albums in flac? I just assumed I could go in there anytime, and bandcamp would know I've purchased these albums already, and allow a re-download. But that option is not there - not even for the most recent albums less than 60 days old.

Any idea what I can do?

Are you trying to re-download from the Bandcamp page directly? I just looked around for emails which were sent after the purchases, and the links are there and still working.

#13 hbk111

hbk111

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3002 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:24 PM

Patience people.

Promised releases that don't pan out is a staple of the TMV/ORL world. I'm not saying your rationale is wrong, there's plenty of reason to still believe everything you listed will come out eventually, but a bit of apprehension is pretty understandable given the track record of the past 10-15 years.
Yes but there is a huge difference. The shit that hasn't been released over the last 10 years as promised by Omar is shit from his vault. It's one man in control of this live record or that solo album or this unfinished documentary or that movie. Now we're dealing with labels outside of Omar, outside producers, band members who's opinions matter now that Omar is done with his old dictator ways. Everything that's been promised recently whether it's a Bosnian Rainbows LP, Antemasque LP, Ipecac boxset...they will all see the light of day within the next couple of years at least. The label (don't know which one) has the Antemasque record and Ipecac won't likely promise something over and over and then back out. That will damage their reputation.

#14 seventieslord

seventieslord

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Joined 01-January 17

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:31 PM

Any idea what I can do?

Are you trying to re-download from the Bandcamp page directly? I just looked around for emails which were sent after the purchases, and the links are there and still working.

wow, you're right. Good call.

#15 auxfnx

auxfnx

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Joined 26-October 10

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:57 PM

you should set up a bandcamp fan account. any time you buy an album its saved to your collection, you can stream them all on your phone and re-download them in any format whenever

#16 seventieslord

seventieslord

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Joined 01-January 17

Posted 30 May 2017 - 05:24 PM

you should set up a bandcamp fan account. any time you buy an album its saved to your collection, you can stream them all on your phone and re-download them in any format whenever

Yeah, I was actually already a member and had logged in too. That wasn't my mistake; my mistake was not seeing those tiny "download" links underneath all the albums in my collection.

Thanks everyone, the flac tip worked perfectly. 

I've now put together 21 songs that had been split into separate tracks:

- 3 from Sworn Virgins

- 1 from Corazones

- 1 from Blind Worms

- 5 from Aranas (I think the field noises at the start and end are meant to be the intro and outro to the first/last songs)

- 2 from Cell Phone Bikini

- 2 from Zapopan

- 2 from Some Need It Lonely

- 3 from Chocolate Tumor

- 2 from Ensayo

- 1 from Gorilla Preacher

- 2 from Killing Tingled

I don't know what to do with Infinity Drips though. It's almost like every track there is meant to blend into the next, or, if not blend, then immediately transition to it at least. In those cases I end up having to choose between combining them all and combining none. I'm leaning towards none.

#17 zilla333

zilla333

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Joined 14-April 14

Posted 30 May 2017 - 07:04 PM

I made an edit of Infinity where I combined all the split tracks into 6 songs. I haven't posted it anywhere but I can upload it to my dropbox and send it to you if you'd like

#18 seventieslord

seventieslord

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Joined 01-January 17

Posted 30 May 2017 - 07:42 PM

I made an edit of Infinity where I combined all the split tracks into 6 songs. I haven't posted it anywhere but I can upload it to my dropbox and send it to you if you'd like

sure, I wouldn't mind seeing your take on it. Personally on every transition I'm left guessing whether that's the end of one composition slightly blending into another, or whether it's one composition split into two tracks - as has been the theme this whole project.

#19 zilla333

zilla333

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Joined 14-April 14

Posted 30 May 2017 - 07:53 PM

sure, I wouldn't mind seeing your take on it. Personally on every transition I'm left guessing whether that's the end of one composition slightly blending into another, or whether it's one composition split into two tracks - as has been the theme this whole project.

Ya man I didn't really understand where the tracks started or ended at first either and I think that's a big problem with that album. out of the whole ipecac series this album is the most egregious when it comes to splitting tracks IMO. where they put the splits in particular doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me either, so I put them where I think it makes most sense.

I'll send you the link. If anyone else wants this just send me a PM

#20 Andrewf

Andrewf

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4552 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:33 PM

Corazones also has a split track

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users