IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Visions magazine cover story on OmarJuly 2020 issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rroseselavy

rroseselavy

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Joined 13-December 19

Posted 07 July 2020 - 06:56 PM

LQXBNI4.jpg

Just noticed there's a big cover story on Omar in the latest issue of VISIONS magazine.

Mit seiner alle Genres sprengenden Musik hat sich Omar Rodríguez-López vom Post-Hardcore- Helden bei At The Drive-In über das Prog-Mastermind hinter The Mars Volta zu einem geheimnisumwitterten Großkünstler entwickelt. Imponierend ist allein schon die pure Anzahl seiner Alben, Bands und Projekte. Wo liegt der Ursprung dieses künstlerischen Drangs, woraus schöpft er, welche Einflüsse gibt es? Eine Reise in fünf Teilen, mit Stationen bei Pink Floyd und John Lennon, Krautrock und Rainer Werner Fassbinder, El Paso und dem Clouds Hill Studio in Hamburg.

Translation:

With his genre bursting music, Omar Rodríguez-López morphed from a post-hardcore hero into the prog mastermind behind The Mars Volta into a mysterious, great polymath. The sheer number of his albums, bands and projects alone is impressive. What is the origin of this artistic urge? A trip with five sections, with stations at Pink Floyd and John Lennon, Krautrock and Rainer Werner Fassbinder, El Paso and the Clouds Hill Studio in Hamburg.

#2 vacuumo

vacuumo

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Joined 23-February 05

Posted 07 July 2020 - 08:28 PM

nice, thanks for the heads up.

i tried to buy a PDF of the issue, but i couldn't. apparently digital issues are only available for orders placed with a German billing address.

#3 rroseselavy

rroseselavy

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Joined 13-December 19

Posted 07 July 2020 - 09:52 PM

nice, thanks for the heads up.

i tried to buy a PDF of the issue, but i couldn't. apparently digital issues are only available for orders placed with a German billing address.

Don't forget it's in german!

I don't live far from the central station where they sell the magazine. Went on a walk and skimmed through it:

Nothing exciting for Volta nerds. It's basically a reiteration of his life story and basic information about the CH sessions with some quotes. Pretty much everything is something we already know.

Somewhat new content, if you will:

- The trip from Berlin to Hamburg when Omar met Johann took place on the day after the show at Huxley's in 2005. Omar says it was one of the moments where he had a positive feeling about where he's heading, just like when he landed in Amsterdam for the first time with ATDI and ended up living there a few years later.

- The CH Tapes sessions were Johann's idea. Omar had only planned to play a set of Ipecac material at the festival, Johann suggested the band should stay longer and record aswell.

- Omar says that D. Trump is only a surface symptom of deeper problems within the US political system, thinks that both parties are corrupt (while describing himself as a liberal/left leaning person), mentions that it was the democrats who built the wall between El Paso and Juarez and points out that the excessive executive powers Trump is abusing today were introduced by the Obama administration. "The money flowing to both parties is coming from the same places."

#4 Veni-yan Warrior

Veni-yan Warrior

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3503 posts
  • Joined 27-February 05

Posted 08 July 2020 - 12:40 AM

He's a sensible guy!

#5 brucef

brucef

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 162 posts
  • Joined 26-February 16

Posted 10 July 2020 - 03:23 AM

Gracias por el aporte!

#6 vacuumo

vacuumo

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Joined 23-February 05

Posted 10 July 2020 - 02:12 PM

yeah, i was just gonna buy it for archival purposes, with the hopes of finding a willing/payable German-speaker to translate. thanks again rose!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users