IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

The Mars Volta on PonoMusic

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 A.N.Other

A.N.Other

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2971 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Posted 16 November 2014 - 03:46 PM

Some of you may have heard about Neil Young's Pono project - a portable audio player designed to play high resolution audio, accompanied by digital music service. They seem to have launched the store already, although you can't buy anything yet.

All TMV albums and singles (released by Universal and WBR) are there, although no information if they're going to be hi-res or standard redbook CD quality. At least it's nice to see Cassandra as one track at last :smile:

#2 issordni

issordni

Goliath

• Coma Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4861 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Cats and foxes.

Posted 16 November 2014 - 03:56 PM

Some of you may have heard about Neil Young's Pono project - a portable audio player designed to play high resolution audio, accompanied by digital music service. They seem to have launched the store already, although you can't buy anything yet.

All TMV albums and singles (released by Universal and WBR) are there, although no information if they're going to be hi-res or standard redbook CD quality. At least it's nice to see Cassandra as one track at last :smile:

You mean we get to buy it all again? I literally cannot wait to complete my PONO collection and take a photo of it next to my vinyl, CDs and FLAC files.

Sorry for being facetious, but I really think PONO is a solution to a problem most people don't have.

#3 Ararat

Ararat

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2265 posts
  • Joined 12-August 11

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:47 PM

There has been great discussion about this elsewhere but data compression is not the real issue and never has been since 320kbps mp3s sound quite good. A 96khz wav of a shitty over-compressed mix will still be a shitty over-compressed mix. Lot's of misdirection with this thing. The retarded pissing contest known as the loudness war is the real problem, not the methods for delivery. I even have some 192k mp3s of classic rock records that sound great. The issue is at the mixing stage and making everything way too fucking loud in order to 'compete' in todays market. 

#4 A.N.Other

A.N.Other

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2971 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:25 PM

I'm myself quite skeptical about the whole hi-res audio thing, however there have been a few examples with recent-ish albums where different (and more dynamic) masters were given to services like HDTracks and Qobuz (which would probably not be the case with TMV, but who knows?). Also, with The Widow single long out of print, where else can new fan legally get Frances the Mute (song) in CD quality?

What really bothers me about Pono is their pricing, HDTracks prices are IMO completely ridiculous for (something like $14 for CD quality, $20 for 24/96) and from what I've heard Pono won't be much different...Definitely not the way to get hi-res music to new listeners.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users