IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

RUSH!best band ever

• Please log in to reply
369 replies to this topic

#41 motherprussia

motherprussia

Creep/Weirdo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18342 posts
  • Joined 22-September 03
  • Interests:Peter Gabriel, buttplugs, interracial marriage, banjos, soft serve ice cream, Wal-Greens, independent trucking, Andrew Johnson, Cheerios, Deep Woods OFF, wool scarves, repetition, hobbies, lace, red pepper flakes, pine forest scent
  • Facebook
  • Myspace
  • Twitter

Posted 16 December 2004 - 05:41 PM

Not an afro in the entire band, clearly they suck

..but seriously they're the best band to come out of canada

View Post

I can think of at least ten better bands from Canada....

View Post

i'm putting you on the spot to name them

#42 metalisawful

metalisawful

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2057 posts
  • Joined 20-January 04
  • Interests:chicken sexing, voo doo, cabbage stacking

Posted 20 December 2004 - 05:46 AM

I could name three or four bands that I like as well as Rush from canada ... the guess who, niel Young, Matthew Good, the tragically hip ... but rush kicks ass

I just downloaded a live performance of 'la villa strangiato' ... it's such an amazing instrumental - just kick ass

#43 Gonz

Gonz

The Humble Magnificent

• Members
  • 5348 posts
  • Joined 03-February 04

Posted 20 December 2004 - 08:10 AM

Rush is ok, but they get really annoying. Jamie Thomas has 2012 Overture playing during his part in Dying to Live. It's ace, check it out if you like good skateboarding

#44 DoYouRecallitsName?

DoYouRecallitsName?

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 16-December 04

Posted 27 December 2004 - 03:21 AM

Rush is a great band... How does that Geddy Lee sing so bad ass and play bass like that at the same time... I think theyre style paved the way for a few good bands.. like Co and Ca

#45 dan_tmv

dan_tmv

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4808 posts
  • Joined 13-December 04

Posted 27 December 2004 - 06:44 AM

Rush is a great band... How does that Geddy Lee sing so bad ass and play bass like that at the same time... I think theyre style  paved the way for a few good bands.. like Co and Ca

View Post

well mhmh after playing for 30 years.......

#46 Stealthy

Stealthy

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Joined 01-July 03

Posted 27 December 2004 - 06:52 AM

I used to like Rush. I now realise they really suck. In 2 years I'll probably start liking them again.

But for now, they're really shit - one of those bands people mysteriously claim are really complex and technical, but are really just a lame AM radio band with pretentions above their stations. And they're responsible in part for Coheed and Cambria.

Or I could just be pulling legs, I dunno...

#47 manupod13

manupod13

Goliath

• Members
  • 4897 posts
  • Joined 19-August 04
  • Myspace

Posted 27 December 2004 - 03:42 PM

Or I could just be pulling legs, I dunno...

I sincerely hope so.

#48 timehasrunaway

timehasrunaway

Custom member title

• Members
  • 6109 posts
  • Joined 23-June 04

Posted 28 December 2004 - 11:00 PM

i like them sometimes. i have to be in the mood for them. i haven't been in the mood for awhile. they're good, but not the best.

#49 Hellobidies

Hellobidies

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3164 posts
  • Joined 14-March 05

Posted 02 May 2005 - 05:35 PM

rush sucks

#50 pkcpjc

pkcpjc

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Joined 04-April 05
  • Interests:Music &amp; more music <br />Favorites: almost too many to mention - depends on the mood<br />TMV<br />Dream Theater<br />Dixie Dregs<br />King Crimson<br />early stuff from 10cc (w/Godley&amp;Creme), Genesis, Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, BÖC, Bowie, Yes

Posted 02 May 2005 - 06:02 PM

heh, i have a friend who's obsessed with rush.  which is funny because he used to really hate them.

View Post

I used to be that way - I hated them whenI 1st heard them. Then, one day, I heard Xanadu from "A Farewell to Kings" & that was it. I finally "got over" Geddy Lee's annoying voice & started to actually like it. I own every single CD they've put out. I still wouldn't say i was obsessed, but they are just about #1. Jethro Tull is #1, Rush maybe #2.... Depends on the mood... They are good musicians & put on a decent live show

#51 qball

qball

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2464 posts
  • Joined 10-October 03

Posted 02 May 2005 - 08:05 PM

Maaan, you're biased... :ol_smile:

Neil Peart clowns on anybody who ever sat behind a drum kit.

Nah... In terms of technical skills, I'm afraid that Mike Portnoy slightly owns Peart. I'm not saying that Peart is bad (for God;s sake, he's great), but your statement was a little exaggeration.

Geddy Lee is a bass god and has the greatest voice ever.

Bass god..? Hmm, I'd rather think of Jaco Pastorius. Geddy has a very specific voice, I mean it's not a good voice for typical hard rock (Ian Gillan owns Geddy at ease in my book).

Alex Lifeson is simply a virtuoso.

He's great, has good style of playing... yet, he ain't Al Di Meola.

#52 EBOLA Cola

EBOLA Cola

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1135 posts
  • Joined 03-October 03

Posted 02 May 2005 - 08:37 PM

I have Rush In Rio on DVD and I can't say I've ever been more into a live concert without actually being there. The whole thing completely blows me away beginning to end and not a weak moment, in terms of playing, singing or power, over 170 minutes.

Still, as far as "better" (if you can call one band better than another) Canadian bands go, there's always my signature.

#53 Smilin' Desperado

Smilin' Desperado

Goliath

• Members
  • 4040 posts
  • Joined 10-September 03
  • Interests:Reading, Cooking, Music, Tv Shows, Food Network, not doing laundry, beach, the sun, cold weather, expensive dinners, shoes ,comfortable clothes, google, kittens, puppies, wikipedia, electronic music, being high, baked goods, being awesome.
  • Facebook
  • Myspace

Posted 02 May 2005 - 09:20 PM

JETHRO TULL?

#54 pkcpjc

pkcpjc

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Joined 04-April 05
  • Interests:Music &amp; more music <br />Favorites: almost too many to mention - depends on the mood<br />TMV<br />Dream Theater<br />Dixie Dregs<br />King Crimson<br />early stuff from 10cc (w/Godley&amp;Creme), Genesis, Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, BÖC, Bowie, Yes

Posted 03 May 2005 - 02:03 PM

JETHRO TULL?

View Post

Hell Yeah - Have you ever listened to the musicianship on Minstrel in The Gallery, Thick as a Brick, A Passion Play. The somber moods & lyrics of Stand Up, Benefit & Aqualung. Ian Anderson & the gang rock..

#55 EBOLA Cola

EBOLA Cola

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1135 posts
  • Joined 03-October 03

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:58 PM

JETHRO TULL?

View Post

No the picture isn't Jethro Tull, the hell yeah is seconded by me, my favourite albums are Broadsword and Heavy Horses (or at least these are the ones most in CD rotation) and favourite song not off those albums is probably Minstrel In The Gallery, and Tull are from Britain not Canada.

#56 unmuted

unmuted

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 16-April 05

Posted 03 May 2005 - 09:40 PM

I've been a huge fan of Rush almost as long as they've been around. Enjoyment of music is purely subjective, and so it doesn't bother me one bit that people don't like 'em. Hell, I'm still trying to figure out why The Rolling Stones have been elevated to Rock God status even though they suck huge amounts of ass. Rush has literally been the soundtrack to my life for almost 30 years and in my own personal Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, they're #1 on a pedestal high above everyone else.

:ol_cool:

#57 honestpanda

honestpanda

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Joined 23-March 05

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:08 PM

Man, Rush are fucking awesome. YYZ, 2112, Red Barchetta, Cygnus X-!, The Spitit of the Radio...man fucking classics! Oh best Rush tribute is when Primus did the opening of YYZ on John The Fisherman that was on the Suck On This lp, classic

#58 honestpanda

honestpanda

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Joined 23-March 05

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:09 PM

I've been a huge fan of Rush almost as long as they've been around.  Enjoyment of music is purely subjective, and so it doesn't bother me one bit that people don't like 'em.  Hell, I'm still trying to figure out why The Rolling Stones have been elevated to Rock God status even though they suck huge amounts of ass.  Rush has literally been the soundtrack to my life for almost 30 years and in my own personal Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, they're #1 on a pedestal high above everyone else. 

:ol_cool:

View Post

Haha wow we must be on the same page, the Stones blow

#59 AVOLITE

AVOLITE

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3381 posts
  • Joined 28-March 05

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:35 PM

[quote name='unmuted' date='May 3 2005, 04:40 PM'] Hell, I'm still trying to figure out why The Rolling Stones have been elevated to Rock God status even though they suck huge amounts of ass.

I have long wondered the same thing my friend.

I have had to endure many a rolling stones show working as a stagehand, and let me tell ya - its like watching a bunch of monkeys tune a guitar. yuk.

#60 maceslo

maceslo

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1157 posts
  • Joined 22-February 05
  • Interests:books music internet

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:48 PM

i have heard of rush... neil peart is awesome... but no.. there are greater bands

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users