IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

ORL Projects6.24.16

• Please log in to reply
3595 replies to this topic

#3561 sigh

sigh

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Joined 04-October 16

Posted 03 December 2020 - 05:01 PM

I've known that Absence and Old Money are on streaming but I only recently wondered why? What happened with the Sargent House/Willie Anderson/R-L Productions albums? Who owns them? Did Omar get the rights back and choose to re- record them and rather than deal with the old ones? or would SH get a cut of the streaming rights from those old recordings so he re-recorded them?

#3562 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6194 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 03 December 2020 - 06:04 PM

I've known that Absence and Old Money are on streaming but I only recently wondered why? What happened with the Sargent House/Willie Anderson/R-L Productions albums? Who owns them? Did Omar get the rights back and choose to re- record them and rather than deal with the old ones? or would SH get a cut of the streaming rights from those old recordings so he re-recorded them?

I don't think Absence is on streaming.  Old Money is available because it was released on Stones Throw records as opposed to the WAR, SH, or RLP.  WAR shut down at some point so I don't know what the deal is with those albums.  I tried e-mailing the addresses I could find but got bounce backs so sadly no luck there.  I'm not the best internet detective though so maybe someone else can do a better job digging than me.  

Omar and Cathy had a falling out after the release of the Bosnian Rainbows album. If my memory serves me it was based around an argument of who got Eli onto an episode of True Detective.  Nicci claimed it was him and Deanotni while Cathy claimed it was SH (FWIW I'm fairly certain it was Cathy and SH that made this happen and not the BR members).  The fiasco led to a falling out and a parting of ways which left a large chunk of Omar's back catalog in limbo since a lot of those albums were co-released by RLP and SH.  Omar being Omar then opted to just walk away from the whole thing which led us to Ipecac and that whole mess.  I don't totally know why that leaves Telesterion on streaming however.

My guess is part of the issue is he doesn't really care about those old albums.  Once something is released he seems pretty much done with it so I don't think he sees a benefit to going back and reclaiming those albums or working out a deal.  Not only that, but he also seems not inclined to release material with past collaborators that he is not on good terms with....which seems to be a lot of people sadly.  

All in all its a real shame because his solo albums from 2003-2016 are essentially inaccessible since they aren't streaming, the vinyl is prohibitively expensive, and the CDs aren't regularly available either.  It effectively leaves pirating as the only means of listening to these albums.

#3563 broccoli bro

broccoli bro

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Joined 19-September 20

Posted 03 December 2020 - 07:38 PM

I've said this here before: It's a fucking tragedy. A whole generation of music listeners using mostly streaming services came up with a skewed image of what Omar's discography contains. Many of his masterpieces are not included. Much of his inferior work is.

Willie Anderson / Infrasonic were just Omar's friend's labels that helped out in the time period after GSL went bankrupt and before RLP was founded on SH. WAR was operated by Niels, Omar's roommate from Amsterdam, and put out his records in Europe. It doesn't exist anymore. Infrasonic was and is still run by Pete Lyman, Omar's main mastering engineer before Chris Common took over, and put them out in the US. Because RLP was supposed to contain everything from movies to TMV vinyl, De Facto and all of his older records, the rights to those albums were probably transferred to RLP/Sargent House back in the days. Sometimes I wonder if the situation is also the reason holding back those Volta reissues.

One detail about the falling out with SH: I believe Cathy took some of the royalties they got from the inclusion in True Detective, arguing she was the person responsible for it. That's when shit hit the fan.

#3564 sigh

sigh

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Joined 04-October 16

Posted 03 December 2020 - 08:44 PM

Wow! Thank you for that info SnKZato1 and broccoli bro! I had no idea about most of that and it does make sense - but also leaves a lot of questions. Ive been on an Omar/Antemasque kick on the the commute recently and all my ORL stuff is on a hard drive so I was wondering about this stuff. :smile:

#3565 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 6194 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 05 December 2020 - 06:50 PM

I've said this here before: It's a fucking tragedy. A whole generation of music listeners using mostly streaming services came up with a skewed image of what Omar's discography contains. Many of his masterpieces are not included. Much of his inferior work is.

Willie Anderson / Infrasonic were just Omar's friend's labels that helped out in the time period after GSL went bankrupt and before RLP was founded on SH. WAR was operated by Niels, Omar's roommate from Amsterdam, and put out his records in Europe. It doesn't exist anymore. Infrasonic was and is still run by Pete Lyman, Omar's main mastering engineer before Chris Common took over, and put them out in the US. Because RLP was supposed to contain everything from movies to TMV vinyl, De Facto and all of his older records, the rights to those albums were probably transferred to RLP/Sargent House back in the days. Sometimes I wonder if the situation is also the reason holding back those Volta reissues.

One detail about the falling out with SH: I believe Cathy took some of the royalties they got from the inclusion in True Detective, arguing she was the person responsible for it. That's when shit hit the fan.

As far as I have heard she and SH were responsible for it.  Not sure how royalties work but honestly how many times have we seen Omar burn bridges.  

#3566 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4233 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 08 December 2020 - 01:16 AM

wasn't it said that d knew t bone burnett and that's how it got on the show?

also it could be Omar not wanting that material out of spite or something and settling for telesterion because it covers most of it

#3567 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • 4803 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 08 December 2020 - 01:28 AM

It could be something as simple as tracking down the masters for old albums and uploading them to spotify is a pain in the ass, and Omar can only expect to receive pennies from the stream, so what's the point? The noble cause of "exposing a new generation of listeners" doesn't put food on the table.

#3568 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 6525 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 08 December 2020 - 05:04 AM

You think the guy who uploaded brickwalled mp3 and sold them as remastered flac is gonna worry about finding the original masters? More into your second theory, namely what's the point?

#3569 Andrewf

Andrewf

Goliath

• Members
  • 4993 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 08 December 2020 - 06:03 AM

Not only that, but he also seems not inclined to release material with past collaborators that he is not on good terms with....which seems to be a lot of people sadly.

Pridgen, Juan, Adrian and probably Dave Elitch are on Ipecac series. Though thats probably because Omar wasnt 100% controlling the release, maybe he'd rerecord some parts

#3570 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 6194 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 11 December 2020 - 03:58 AM

Not only that, but he also seems not inclined to release material with past collaborators that he is not on good terms with....which seems to be a lot of people sadly.

Pridgen, Juan, Adrian and probably Dave Elitch are on Ipecac series. Though thats probably because Omar wasnt 100% controlling the release, maybe he'd rerecord some parts

They are on their minimally and Chocolate Tumor is enough evidence that he had no shame overdubbing the fuck out of stuff.

#3571 Germán F.

Germán F.

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2630 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 11 December 2020 - 06:05 AM

Yeah, it’s a tragedy all those albums are not out there for the world to hear. I bought a lot of them as they came out, but regret not getting a few more, especially escorpión. I think the cd is out there for like $50!

#3572 s_uds

s_uds

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Joined 15-November 15

Posted 17 December 2020 - 06:06 PM

You think the guy who uploaded brickwalled mp3 and sold them as remastered flac is gonna worry about finding the original masters? More into your second theory, namely what's the point?

Which release are you referring to?

I'm curious as to why there's no one in his entourage who could take up all that mess and try and make something clean, I'm sure tons of people would gladly buy quality reissues of all his work (Volta, De Facto, solo, etc.) and/or listen to it on streaming platforms - I understand he has no interest in all of that, but at least he could hand it to someone who does, instead of letting it rotting away.

#3573 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 6525 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14

Posted 17 December 2020 - 06:19 PM

Tremulant remaster that came out on bandcamp before Antemasque was a thing.

#3574 broccoli bro

broccoli bro

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Joined 19-September 20

Posted 17 December 2020 - 07:09 PM

Which release are you referring to?

I'm curious as to why there's no one in his entourage who could take up all that mess and try and make something clean, I'm sure tons of people would gladly buy quality reissues of all his work (Volta, De Facto, solo, etc.) and/or listen to it on streaming platforms - I understand he has no interest in all of that, but at least he could hand it to someone who does, instead of letting it rotting away.

He did that with the Mars Volta documentary and since then it seems like it will never come out.

Ipecac series started out similarly and ended up abandoned.

#3575 s_uds

s_uds

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Joined 15-November 15

Posted 17 December 2020 - 07:24 PM

Tremulant remaster that came out on bandcamp before Antemasque was a thing.

Are you saying that most of the time when you listen to Tremulant, you're probably listening to some brickwalled lossy shit?

He did that with the Mars Volta documentary and since then it seems like it will never come out.

Ipecac series started out similarly and ended up abandoned.

Who was in charge?

#3576 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 6525 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14

Posted 17 December 2020 - 07:26 PM

No when I listen to Tremulant it's on vinyl but nm.

#3577 s_uds

s_uds

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Joined 15-November 15

Posted 17 December 2020 - 08:03 PM

Sorry my message wasn't clear, I was talking about you specifically, but in a general way - most of time, when one listens to Tremulant, he/she listens to a lossy remaster.

I assume the Tremulant CD edited by SH is also from a lossy transcode..? :/ 

#3578 broccoli bro

broccoli bro

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Joined 19-September 20

Posted 17 December 2020 - 11:00 PM

Wait a sec.
There was a Tremulant CD put out by SH?
I thought they sold old GSL ones.

#3579 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 6194 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 18 December 2020 - 12:55 AM

Wait a sec.
There was a Tremulant CD put out by SH?
I thought they sold old GSL ones.

Sargent House did sell Tremulant through hello merch.  Pretty sure it was just leftover GSL copies.  

The "remaster" of Tremulant was sourced from a lossy format in case people are still asking or curious.  Or at least that was the allegation.  Not my area of expertise to say.

#3580 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • 9292 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11

Posted 18 December 2020 - 08:25 PM

This release specifically is what is being referred to

https://antemasque.b...um/tremulant-ep

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users