IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Deantoni Parks Feature in Modern Drummer

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Discordia

Discordia

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3287 posts
  • Joined 25-October 03

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:13 PM

quick mars volta mention:

"Meshell [N'degeocello] also recommended me there. I met Omar, and we clicked. They fired their drummer mid-tour in 2006, and I had to learn all this material, which, you know, is insane and long. They didn't have charts! I had about four days, but I was used to playing in any situation. The first few gigs were a lot of jamming, but eventually I learned more songs. I felt like we were a good match, that they need a drummer who didn't play so much. There were so many guys in the band, different time signatures, clicks coming in and out. I tried to give them structure by playing that hard pocket but also give them the exciting Billy Cobham shit. In an areana, you have to simplify, so I tried to do that. I wasn't able to continue with them because of KUDU and prior obligations, but they still call for movie soundtrack stuff, and we're all friends."

#2 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7670 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09
  • Interests:Peace, love and bass.

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:08 PM

Cool. :)

#3 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13796 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:26 PM

Nice

#4 iamisandisnt

iamisandisnt

The joke is INSIDE the joke!

• Members
  • 13056 posts
  • Joined 09-February 06

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:23 AM

soundtrack stuff = must be sweet

#5 studyofman

studyofman

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Joined 01-July 08

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:47 AM

quick mars volta mention:

"Meshell [N'degeocello] also recommended me there. I met Omar, and we clicked. They fired their drummer mid-tour in 2006, and I had to learn all this material, which, you know, is insane and long. They didn't have charts! I had about four days, but I was used to playing in any situation. The first few gigs were a lot of jamming, but eventually I learned more songs. I felt like we were a good match, that they need a drummer who didn't play so much. There were so many guys in the band, different time signatures, clicks coming in and out. I tried to give them structure by playing that hard pocket but also give them the exciting Billy Cobham shit. In an areana, you have to simplify, so I tried to do that. I wasn't able to continue with them because of KUDU and prior obligations, but they still call for movie soundtrack stuff, and we're all friends."

The talk of click tracks being used by TMV in their Inner Ear monitors was scoffed at in the forum discussing that Cicatriz jam with the claps, etc. Right here Deantoni confirms it (besides some older interview where someone else, maybe Omar, mentioned they use them as an anchor so they don't fluctuate too much). Anyways, thought this was interesting.

#6 deadeye

deadeye

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2502 posts
  • Joined 07-April 05

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:43 AM

yep, they use click tracks.
deantoni is the man

#7 Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite

Guaranteed Tremendous Safety

• Members
  • 7482 posts
  • Joined 15-August 05

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:54 PM

I cant see how they can use click tracks live..unless they have everything charted out for tempo/time sig changes, which occur quite frequently. Maybe he is talking about rehearsal/recording? I really find it hard to believe they use clicks live...theyre shit is always wavering so much.

#8 Holly Money

Holly Money

#teamfuckyou

• Members
  • 14255 posts
  • Joined 10-November 08
  • Interests:tentacles

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:00 AM

holy hell man you're also from ventura

#9 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13796 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:25 AM

If they have one guy running around with teacups then they can have someone taking care of tempo/signature changes on the click tracks

#10 alan_pfeifer

alan_pfeifer

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts
  • Joined 21-November 04

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:51 AM

yeah, but in-ear clicks aren't really supposed to be heard by the audience, so it could've been a malfuction. Sorry if that's what was mentioned in the cicatriz topic, never got around to that one.

Interesting read though.

#11 ThaiNoodles

ThaiNoodles

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1672 posts
  • Joined 20-March 05
  • Interests:Sacrificing children. Chocolate Milk. Birthday Parties

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:55 AM

There is also an interview with Marcel where he confirms that they use click tracks live in their ear monitors for certain sections.

#12 IVeilCerpinTaxtI

IVeilCerpinTaxtI

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3317 posts
  • Joined 01-February 05
  • Interests:Drums, Bass, Music...
  • Facebook
  • Myspace

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:11 AM

I cant see how they can use click tracks live..unless they have everything charted out for tempo/time sig changes, which occur quite frequently. Maybe he is talking about rehearsal/recording? I really find it hard to believe they use clicks live...theyre shit is always wavering so much.

There are time changes, but really not too much, especially in their sets currently. As for tempo changes, there really aren't any that are more complicated than simply doubling or cutting the tempo in half, thus there is no need to change the tempo of the click.

#13 UrbanBandito

UrbanBandito

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Joined 02-March 06

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:04 AM

I personally think Deantoni Parks should be the current drummer for TMV. i mean they NEED a groovy guy who plays in the pocket but they also need excitement and dave elitch wailing on his cymbals just isn't doing it for me.. . . .im sure there is some sort of label conflict ect. that makes this impossible. . . but really you play with guys like thomas, jon theodore and zach hill. . . then you install some phony like dave as your drummer. . . .im just still disappointed and astonished

#14 IVeilCerpinTaxtI

IVeilCerpinTaxtI

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3317 posts
  • Joined 01-February 05
  • Facebook
  • Myspace

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:26 AM

Phony? Wow...someone has issues. Regardless of you enjoying his style or not, he's still a drummer, and a pretty good one at that. You don't need to be acknowledged by the world to prove yourself.

#15 UrbanBandito

UrbanBandito

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Joined 02-March 06

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:20 AM

Phony? Wow...someone has issues. Regardless of you enjoying his style or not, he's still a drummer, and a pretty good one at that. You don't need to be acknowledged by the world to prove yourself.

Maybe phony is harsh but ive been a follower since the tremulant days and a drummer for years before that and with dave on drums now its just disappointing to see a guy who isn't above and beyond. deantoni on the other hand is subtle and yet adds an incredible dynamic to the musicians he plays with.

Deantoni

Dave

to me its obvious that dave doesn't cut it. . . . .buuuuuuuutttt thats just me :whistling:

#16 IVeilCerpinTaxtI

IVeilCerpinTaxtI

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3317 posts
  • Joined 01-February 05
  • Facebook
  • Myspace

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:00 AM

I can't deny the fact that Deantoni is far superior to Dave. But yes, as you said, I just thought that statement was rather harsh. And yes, I am a drummer as well.

#17 flipzoso

flipzoso

ZK

• Party Members
  • 7100 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:07 AM

I can't deny the fact that Deantoni is far superior to Dave.

concurred

#18 Paladin

Paladin

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Joined 26-January 10

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:25 AM

Deantoni is a great drummer, but personally I didn't like his style with TMV's music (at least from what I've heard). I do like what he brings to the table in Kudu.

#19 Chris Paul

Chris Paul

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 156 posts
  • Joined 13-May 08
  • Interests:Basketball

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:28 AM

I personally think Deantoni Parks should be the current drummer for TMV. i mean they NEED a groovy guy who plays in the pocket but they also need excitement and dave elitch wailing on his cymbals just isn't doing it for me.. . . .im sure there is some sort of label conflict ect. that makes this impossible. . . but really you play with guys like thomas, jon theodore and zach hill. . . then you install some phony like dave as your drummer. . . .im just still disappointed and astonished

TRUTH. they might as well have got marcel to be the new drummer instead of this generic bastard

#20 alan_pfeifer

alan_pfeifer

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts
  • Joined 21-November 04

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:47 PM

Love him but he wasn't a good fit for TMV when he played with them, at least from what I heard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users