IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Mars Volta enter hiatusOmar confirms

• Please log in to reply
580 replies to this topic

#1 dmac27

dmac27

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Joined 22-April 08
  • Interests:Music, live or otherwise, playing guitar.

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

Link

Puerto Rican guitarist from the nu-prog rockers The Mars Volta, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, has confirmed that the 6-part group have officially entered in a hiatus, stating that he does not know whether or not the group will reunite, but that it is not something to worry the mind.

"I donít know [if the band will reunite], and I'm not insecure enough to have to ask myself that. Itís like, we've done that for ten years, eleven years. Now weíre all doing different things, and everything that weíre doing informs how we express ourselves, and so if that happens then it happens and if it doesn't it doesn't."

The spastic guitarist has also confirmed a brand new project along side the drummer from the aforementioned group, Deantoni Parks, titled "Bosnian Rainbows", from which an album is expected to be released next year.

In addition to that, charismatic lead vocalist, Cedric Bixler-Zavala, is currently working on a solo project, which is also expected to be released next year.

#2 shaREEB

shaREEB

Butthole

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11656 posts
  • Joined 17-November 08

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:30 AM

bam

#3 nardo

nardo

Lord of the Links

• Dictator
  • 6205 posts
  • Joined 21-July 03

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

Gives me a reason to use the blog again.

#4 A.N.Other

A.N.Other

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2974 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

This news is like nearly a month old.

#5 nardo

nardo

Lord of the Links

• Dictator
  • 6205 posts
  • Joined 21-July 03

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

This news is like nearly a month old.

Source? So far all we had was Omar said this, Teri said that blah blah.

#6 Jack Austin Gilbert 7

Jack Austin Gilbert 7

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1305 posts
  • Joined 15-April 07
  • Interests:Music<br />Math<br />Women<br />
  • Facebook

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

Remember when everyone with half a brain predicted this a year ago? And then everyone who liked Noctourniquet was like "nah"

#7 mitcheledwardklik

mitcheledwardklik

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 166 posts
  • Joined 22-June 07

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

This is just an excerpt from the "Going Deep with Omar Rodriguez-Lopez" interview, which is almost a month old and already has its own topic here.

Nothing new has been brought to light by this.

#8 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6807 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

Remember when everyone with half a brain predicted this a year ago? And then everyone who liked Noctourniquet was like "nah"

I loved Noctourniquet but I still knew TMV wouldn't be around for much longer.

And yes this is old news, that article just repackaged his quote from another interview.

#9 Lantros

Lantros

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Joined 30-September 09

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

Yes, its an old news. But anyway...

I discovered TMV in 2005. Since then its my favorite band. But over the years it became more a love for the individual musicians. Especially Omar (of course), Juan, Jon and lately Deantoni. They simply hit my taste with what they are doing. Soo... on on hand its a little bit sad. TMV was an important (their music still is and will be) part in my life for years. But on the other hand, its not that they stop making music.

And the music is all what counts. :)

#10 Bane Fubar

Bane Fubar

©ubic litre

• Members
  • 32781 posts
  • Joined 16-February 07

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

This is bullshit news. The Mars Volta are still on tour. This was my Google ad banner yesterday.

Posted Image

Even though they haven't announced a tour, and have no plans, it's fucking Google man. They know their shit before the people who make decisions even know what the fuck is going on.

#11 psychoshamanism

psychoshamanism

nada sin ti

• Members
  • 7800 posts
  • Joined 03-May 09

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

sometimes you can only put so much make-up on a pig... you'll eventually have to fuck it.

#12 Jehu

Jehu

I like to drive

• Members
  • 6105 posts
  • Joined 03-November 08
  • Interests:Mostly driving
  • Twitter

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

It's bullshit guys, obviously LP7 is going to drop in a couple months.

#13 Kingfish

Kingfish

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2605 posts
  • Joined 04-September 05
  • Interests:Music, art, music, art, movies,

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:10 PM

I got that impression at the Oakland Bosnian Rainbows show when he said something along the lines of "Bosnian Rainbows will be around for years to come... Blah blah ect ect".

I was under the impression that he was excited to make a collaborative TMV album though...

Now would be a good time to compile all that footage/live stuff into a documentary or a live album. He does have a book out soon right?

#14 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 9839 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

This is just an excerpt from the "Going Deep with Omar Rodriguez-Lopez" interview, which is almost a month old and already has its own topic here.

Nothing new has been brought to light by this.

this.

also, i love nocto, let it be the swan song of a great band. bosnian rainbow kicks ass, i'm looking forward to their album. oh, and obviously, cedric will never release a solo album.

#15 Flavior

Flavior

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts
  • Joined 14-September 07

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

nooo no nooo no no no no no nooo noo noo no no no no no no

#16 psychoshamanism

psychoshamanism

nada sin ti

• Members
  • 7800 posts
  • Joined 03-May 09

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

Now would be a good time to compile all that footage/live stuff into a documentary or a live album. He does have a book out soon right?

Even if they are finished playing together, I think this is still YEARS away.

#17 Jehu

Jehu

I like to drive

• Members
  • 6105 posts
  • Joined 03-November 08
  • Interests:Mostly driving
  • Twitter

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

bam

Shareeb you're a good guy and I've got no beef with you, but why are you so bent on proving TMV are broken up? Every time info has come to light that suggests TMV breaking up/going on hiatus you act all "I told you so" towards everybody, and it's kinda douchey. Let's face it, you know no more than anyone else here, you just have an opinion you can't wait to have proven correct.

Personally I agree all the signs point towards TMV never coming back or at very least taking a long time, but I find much more satisfaction in assuming they'll be back eventually than admitting they're done. I'm not saying they will be back, but I plan to look at it this way until time passes and TMV stops occupying that space in my mind. Or until they actually do come back. Which they will.

#18 Bane Fubar

Bane Fubar

©ubic litre

• Members
  • 32781 posts
  • Joined 16-February 07

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

Because his soul desperately cries for a good reason to climb out from his mom's basement.

#19 Kingfish

Kingfish

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2605 posts
  • Joined 04-September 05
  • Interests:Music, art, music, art, movies,

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

As much as I like Omar's material and its ability to tide me over I still want to see stuff from Cedric. Anywhere was awesome and there should be more awesome material being cranked out babies aside.

#20 shaREEB

shaREEB

Butthole

• Party Members
  • 11656 posts
  • Joined 17-November 08

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

bam

Shareeb you're a good guy and I've got no beef with you, but why are you so bent on proving TMV are broken up? Every time info has come to light that suggests TMV breaking up/going on hiatus you act all "I told you so" towards everybody, and it's kinda douchey. Let's face it, you know no more than anyone else here, you just have an opinion you can't wait to have proven correct.

Personally I agree all the signs point towards TMV never coming back or at very least taking a long time, but I find much more satisfaction in assuming they'll be back eventually than admitting they're done. I'm not saying they will be back, but I plan to look at it this way until time passes and TMV stops occupying that space in my mind. Or until they actually do come back. Which they will.

I think it's fairly obvious what my position has been on this the whole time. Like I've said countless times, there are a couple people on this forum and in the TMV community that you should really trust with info but they end up being harassed for even trying to help share a little info around here. Obviously you shouldn't blindly believe everyone on the Internet but at least consider what they are saying and try to not question their integrity.

And to try to make this clear, when you or other people suggest that I know nothing and everything is just my opinion, that suggests that I'm kind of making things up and starting rumors like a moron. That is kind of why I like to really take a stance on this and at times exaggerated things... Because you guys are just going to shit on me regardless. I'm not here to be a "good poster" or to boost my imaginary rep like some Umbi faggot.

I also don't want TMV to be over. I've enjoyed every release and still hope that in about 4-5 years they decide to make one more album. This is my favorite band still.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users