IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Mars Volta enter hiatusOmar confirms

• Please log in to reply
580 replies to this topic

#41 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4469 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:38 AM

I'm not into Bosnian Rainbows that much (I'm waiting for an album release though), nor did I love the last few solo albums that he put out. I already miss Cedric. He is half of this band and as much as I love stuff like Se Dice, Calibration, AMD, and Apocalypse, it just isn't as interesting without Cedric.

Terri is cool, but is no Ceddy Bear.

I adore CBZ's voice. It's the most expressive vocal I've heard in music.

But you must agree that Cedric really dropped the ball from Octahedron onwards (even on Ampu a little bit)...he lost that spontaneity and was just reacting to the music. Maybe part of it is the music Omar served up, but the other members of the band were doing fine, it mainly seems like it was Cedric who brought about the downfall of the band. Not blaming him or anything, if it was necessary it was necessary.

Actually, though, I realize that it's not that simple, I think the drummer limbo after Theodore's departure took a lot of the steam out of the band. The essential TMV sound to me is basically Omar + Cedric + Jon, the rest of the stuff might as well have appeared on Omar's solo albums (some Xenophanes tracks are interchangeable with TMV tracks). And I don't think Cedric and Deantoni ever really gelled. To me, Deantoni plays the drums as a lead instrument. He's constantly switching up the beat and wrestling control of the music back into his own hands. Jon Theodore was the ultimate groove drummer and that worked really well for Cedric to take the lead.

#42 Stroma

Stroma

The Man, The Myth....The Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6062 posts
  • Joined 15-December 03

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:48 AM

I'm not into Bosnian Rainbows that much (I'm waiting for an album release though), nor did I love the last few solo albums that he put out. I already miss Cedric. He is half of this band and as much as I love stuff like Se Dice, Calibration, AMD, and Apocalypse, it just isn't as interesting without Cedric.

But you must agree that Cedric really dropped the ball from Octahedron onwards (even on Ampu a little bit)...he lost that spontaneity and was just reacting to the music. Maybe part of it is the music Omar served up, but the other members of the band were doing fine, it mainly seems like it was Cedric who brought about the downfall of the band. Not blaming him or anything, if it was necessary it was necessary.

I don't agree. Cedric has a lot of great melodies and hooks on all their albums. The main issue why people lost interest in the band had to do with Omar becoming besties with Frusciante. His style of guitar solos and playing changed up quite a bit, and took on a different color. I like their material post-Frusciante, but the latin jazz and Fripp-like elements have become less noticeable.

#43 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • 4469 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:00 AM

I don't agree. Cedric has a lot of great melodies and hooks on all their albums. The main issue why people lost interest in the band had to do with Omar becoming besties with Frusciante. His style of guitar solos and playing changed up quite a bit, and took on a different color. I like their material post-Frusciante, but the latin jazz and Fripp-like elements have become less noticeable.

By post-Frusciante, do you mean...all of the Mars Volta's output, since Froosh was on De-Loused?

And, anyway, I haven't noticed any significant changes in Omar's style since at least the ATDI days, except maybe in using different pedals at times. But in terms of actual picking/strumming/shredding, he's been remarkably consistent.

#44 TremulantDeloused

TremulantDeloused

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Joined 29-October 09

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:14 AM

Actually, though, I realize that it's not that simple, I think the drummer limbo after Theodore's departure took a lot of the steam out of the band. The essential TMV sound to me is basically Omar + Cedric + Jon, the rest of the stuff might as well have appeared on Omar's solo albums (some Xenophanes tracks are interchangeable with TMV tracks). And I don't think Cedric and Deantoni ever really gelled. To me, Deantoni plays the drums as a lead instrument. He's constantly switching up the beat and wrestling control of the music back into his own hands. Jon Theodore was the ultimate groove drummer and that worked really well for Cedric to take the lead.

Respectfully disagree with what you said about Cedric dropping the ball on Octa and Nocto. He did the best he could with what Omar gave him. For me, Cedric's vocals are the best part of Octahedron and the only reason why I consider it a decent rather than a shitty album. I also loved his vocals on Nocto (In Absentia, anyone?). Cedric was never the problem for me, it just seems like Omar has been getting bored with it. Deloused, Frances, and Ampy Wampy were all masterpieces or near-masterpieces, and Bedlam was a chaotic shitstorm of awesomeness with a couple of weak spots. Octa was average and Nocto was solid. That's how I view things, at least. But Cryptomnesia showed that Omar could still put out a genius release.

At the end of the day, it seems that Omar is trying too hard to "switch things up" for each subsequent release, which he has actually mentioned as part of his thought process when writing an album. It's obviously not my place to tell Omar what to do with his life or his music. But to me, those first 4 albums (also, much of his solo work including Crypto) just had some sort of magic to them that has been missing since 2008-2009. Jon Theodore was the drummer that was made to play for The Mars Volta, but some of the stuff Omar released after he left showed that he could still craft magic without him.

And who knows, maybe we will see a reunion with Jon in a few years. If the boys in ATDI can mend fences and get back together, there's no reason to think that it could never happen with Jon. Just my two cents.

#45 Stroma

Stroma

The Man, The Myth....The Legend

• Members
  • 6062 posts
  • Joined 15-December 03

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:16 AM

By post-Frusciante, do you mean...all of the Mars Volta's output, since Froosh was on De-Loused?

And, anyway, I haven't noticed any significant changes in Omar's style since at least the ATDI days, except maybe in using different pedals at times. But in terms of actual picking/strumming/shredding, he's been remarkably consistent.

His style drastically changed when he began learning how to to solo from Frusciante. He started learning more about soloing from Frusciante post Frances. He even mentioned it in interviews. Look at his soloing style since Amputechture. His style of soloing has sounded pretty much the same from Viscera Eyes to Goliath. Damn you Frusciante!!!

#46 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • 4469 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:34 AM

Respectfully disagree with what you said about Cedric dropping the ball on Octa and Nocto. He did the best he could with what Omar gave him. For me, Cedric's vocals are the best part of Octahedron and the only reason why I consider it a decent rather than a shitty album. I also loved his vocals on Nocto (In Absentia, anyone?). Cedric was never the problem for me, it just seems like Omar has been getting bored with it. Deloused, Frances, and Ampy Wampy were all masterpieces or near-masterpieces, and Bedlam was a chaotic shitstorm of awesomeness with a couple of weak spots. Octa was average and Nocto was solid. That's how I view things, at least. But Cryptomnesia showed that Omar could still put out a genius release.

At the end of the day, it seems that Omar is trying too hard to "switch things up" for each subsequent release, which he has actually mentioned as part of his thought process when writing an album. It's obviously not my place to tell Omar what to do with his life or his music. But to me, those first 4 albums (also, much of his solo work including Crypto) just had some sort of magic to them that has been missing since 2008-2009. Jon Theodore was the drummer that was made to play for The Mars Volta, but some of the stuff Omar released after he left showed that he could still craft magic without him.

And who knows, maybe we will see a reunion with Jon in a few years. If the boys in ATDI can mend fences and get back together, there's no reason to think that it could never happen with Jon. Just my two cents.

I definitely agree that Omar's solo work radically changed the perception of the Mars Volta, and I also agree that Omar started losing interest, but I think that was only after Cedric started losing interest. I think Cedric had an untrained voice with a lot of potential, and it was only in that initial burst of energy that was released after ATDI broke up and Volta formed that allowed him to actualize that potential. The "Now I'm Lost" part of Inertiatic is the defining moment for me – that transcendent voice that seems to annihilate all limitations. Then they started going off on tangents, the fame thing happened...experimental diets, vocal coaches, blunts...scientology.

I mean, the whole matter is pretty opaque...it's like any relationship that ends, you can't really blame one party or the other. I disagree about Nocto, though, to me, that album is a turd sandwich. It might as well be titled "The Mars Volta Parodies the Mars Volta".

#47 Bane Fubar

Bane Fubar

©ubic litre

• Members
  • 32781 posts
  • Joined 16-February 07

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:48 AM

Guys, guys guys.

How about Cedric, Juan and Marcel move on and employ Ikey, Jon Theodore, Adrian and Paul to form a new band.

Who will play guitar?

#48 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6807 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:17 AM

I also have to disagree with this, Cedric's vocals were easily one of the best aspects of both Octa and Noct for me. I thought they were a huge step up from Amp and Bedlam's vocals. And to me Noct in general was a step up from the previous three albums, though Bedlam is one of my favorites too.

#49 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

WHAT IS MY PROBLEM??

• Members
  • 8907 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11
  • Interests:Cross dressing
    gang bangin

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:31 AM

Guys, guys guys.

How about Cedric, Juan and Marcel move on and employ Ikey, Jon Theodore, Adrian and Paul to form a new band.

Who will play guitar?

Paul will have a guitar, but it wouldn't be plugged in. Just like TMV glory days

#50 TremulantDeloused

TremulantDeloused

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Joined 29-October 09

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:34 AM

Guys, guys guys.

Who will play guitar?

John. *head explodes from the possibilities*

#51 shaREEB

shaREEB

Butthole

• Party Members
  • 11656 posts
  • Joined 17-November 08

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:47 AM

Here is the new Mars Volta...
Posted Image

#52 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • 4469 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:47 AM

I also have to disagree with this, Cedric's vocals were easily one of the best aspects of both Octa and Noct for me. I thought they were a huge step up from Amp and Bedlam's vocals. And to me Noct in general was a step up from the previous three albums, though Bedlam is one of my favorites too.

Uh oh, resident Nocto defender in the house. I really tried with that album, but had zero motivation to listen to it after like three spins. To the point where I took it out of my car stereo even though it was the only CD in the car. For me with Noctourniquet, there's a separation between the sound they were going for, and how it actually turned out. I totally get the krautrock, 80s, "futurepunk" sound they were going for, but I think it turned out disastrously. For god sakes, what the hell is going on in the Whip Hand? It's like synth-punk mixed with samba lounge, until the chorus kicks in, which is like all the headache-inducing falsettos from Amputechture that we'd like to forget packaged into one convenient hook. I also really don't enjoy Deantoni's drumming on that album. The sound they were going for is supposed to be pretty lean and on-the-grid, and he was all over the place.

#53 psychoshamanism

psychoshamanism

nada sin ti

• Members
  • 7800 posts
  • Joined 03-May 09

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:49 AM

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Here is the new Mars Volta...
Posted Image

#54 Bane Fubar

Bane Fubar

©ubic litre

• Members
  • 32781 posts
  • Joined 16-February 07

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:50 AM

Uh oh, resident Nocto defender in the house. I really tried with that album, but had zero motivation to listen to it after like three spins. To the point where I took it out of my car stereo even though it was the only CD in the car.

LOL.

I liked the whip hand though. It's one of the few songs I blast when I'm driving around on my own, but I can't play it with a lot of people because they make that cringing face. To me, that's classic Volta.

#55 shaREEB

shaREEB

Butthole

• Party Members
  • 11656 posts
  • Joined 17-November 08

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:53 AM

Whip Hand is one of the best things they have done. The Mars Volta used to be very surprising. I feel like the only songs that have been completely new works of art and sound unique were Whip Hand and In Absentia.

#56 psychoshamanism

psychoshamanism

nada sin ti

• Members
  • 7800 posts
  • Joined 03-May 09

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:55 AM

Uh oh, resident Nocto defender in the house. I really tried with that album, but had zero motivation to listen to it after like three spins. To the point where I took it out of my car stereo even though it was the only CD in the car.

LOL.

I liked the whip hand though. It's one of the few songs I blast when I'm driving around on my own, but I can't play it with a lot of people because they make that cringing face. To me, that's classic Volta.

haha SO true.

#57 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6807 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:41 AM

Uh oh, resident Nocto defender in the house. I really tried with that album, but had zero motivation to listen to it after like three spins. To the point where I took it out of my car stereo even though it was the only CD in the car. For me with Noctourniquet, there's a separation between the sound they were going for, and how it actually turned out. I totally get the krautrock, 80s, "futurepunk" sound they were going for, but I think it turned out disastrously. For god sakes, what the hell is going on in the Whip Hand? It's like synth-punk mixed with samba lounge, until the chorus kicks in, which is like all the headache-inducing falsettos from Amputechture that we'd like to forget packaged into one convenient hook. I also really don't enjoy Deantoni's drumming on that album. The sound they were going for is supposed to be pretty lean and on-the-grid, and he was all over the place.

Well the first time I heard the album it was immediately apparent that a lot of long-time Volta fans would hate it. But for me, I felt like it was the return of the more emotional side of TMV that I had been longing for since Frances (I've been a fan since De-Loused). Octa sort of was too but... Noct was just a lot better at it, and the music and lyrics drew me into the story in a way that they haven't since De-Loused and Frances. Don't get me wrong, Amp and Bedlam are great albums too, but they had a very different style from what originally got me into the band so they had to grow on me and I had to learn to look at them in a different light.

And I agree with Shareeb about The Whip Hand, it was destined to be a song that a lot of people would hate, but to me that along with Lapochka and In Absentia are some of the most different/unique things they've done in a long time. The album feels very fresh to me.

In conclusion, different strokes. I'm certainly not surprised that a lot of long-time Volta fans can't get into Noct (I felt the same way when Amp came out), and it's not like I don't understand those who can't. But for me it was just what the doctor ordered, and a worthy final album if they never end up making another.

#58 Boiler416

Boiler416

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Joined 06-September 03

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:44 AM

my girlfriend fucks other people and now the mars volta is on hiatus...mi dios what a month. :death:

#59 buddh4sack

buddh4sack

Goliath

• Members
  • 4398 posts
  • Joined 19-April 08
  • Interests:The Secret of The Widow

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:46 AM

Goddamn, I hate the Whip Hand studio chorus. Live, Cedric sings that "disconnect" line with passion, precision, and perfection, and on the album they decide to replace it with a flat-sounding, irritating, emotionless overprocessed turd like that? A tragedy. It's more grating every time I hear it. I've actually given thought to whether it might be possible to splice in the vocals from one of the live takes over it. Maybe put D's magic quick hands on the ride cymbal back in too, as the drums have been castrated nearly as bad as the vox.

#60 psychoshamanism

psychoshamanism

nada sin ti

• Members
  • 7800 posts
  • Joined 03-May 09

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:49 AM

my girlfriend fucks other people and now the mars volta is on hiatus...mi dios what a month. :death:

chingao... sorry to hear that man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users