IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Problems with Tremulant Remaster

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#41 deadeye

deadeye

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2495 posts
  • Joined 07-April 05

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:25 PM

scenario 1 is that they worked from a lossy master somehow.

scenario 2 is the lossless uploads were transcoded from lossy files somehow.

#42 9705

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 168 posts
  • Joined 14-July 08

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:55 AM

De-Loused remaster is transcoded too?)

#43 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6822 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:48 AM

Hopefully not. We'll see when it is released. It was probably just a one time mistake.

#44 rodan

rodan

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 24-January 13

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:16 PM

I'm guessing it was just done relatively quickly with some plugins as opposed to a proper mastering suite/engineer. Fair enough, it sounds rad to me. Music!

Is there a chance, however, that something has happened at Bandcamp's end? Is what goes up *precisely* what comes back down again or is there some kind of re-jiggery format guff going on?

I guess we'll never know...... *eerie howl of wind*

#45 pehjott

pehjott

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • Joined 24-March 05

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:28 PM

I've resigned myself with this and i'm perfectly fine with it. Tremulant sounds great and I guess that's enough I doubt we'll see a correcting of this issue (hopefully i'm wrong). I just hope with the future releases they'll see how much people care about the quality of the music we all love and they'll take better care of it like it deserves to.

I believe we'll see a correcting of this issue,wouldn't be the 1st time. 

It was me who noticed that the omar and jf files on bandcamp got uploaded in mono the 1st time. 

As two of the tracks already existed in stereo-mixes and I couldn't imagine people like jf and omar mixing in mono as they are both fans of panning etc. I posted about the issue in every jf/pmar forum and wrote emails to people involved (cathy etc.) 

AND: 

The whole album got reuploaded in the correct stereo mixes we know today...

#46 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5623 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:34 PM

I've resigned myself with this and i'm perfectly fine with it. Tremulant sounds great and I guess that's enough I doubt we'll see a correcting of this issue (hopefully i'm wrong). I just hope with the future releases they'll see how much people care about the quality of the music we all love and they'll take better care of it like it deserves to.

It was me who noticed that the omar and jf files on bandcamp got uploaded in mono the 1st time. 

As two of the tracks already existed in stereo-mixes and I couldn't imagine people like jf and omar mixing in mono as they are both fans of panning etc. I posted about the issue in every jf/pmar forum and wrote emails to people involved (cathy etc.) 

AND: 

I recall this.  I actually liked the mono mix, sounded fitting for that kind of music

#47 deadeye

deadeye

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2495 posts
  • Joined 07-April 05

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:50 PM

AND: 

I recall this.  I actually liked the mono mix, sounded fitting for that kind of music

haha, yeah it does work in Mono doesnt it?

anyways,  that was a good catch pehjott

#48 Seyon

Seyon

High Five! ヘ( ^o^)ノ\(^_^ )

• Members
  • 5026 posts
  • Joined 29-August 04
  • Interests:CrossFit, Video Games, Awesome fucking music
  • Facebook

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:24 PM

Certainly, this is not a problem for the 99% of folks for whom this kind of technicality is not an issue (that share may go down among hardcore TMV fans). But to the 1% that DO care, it definitely IS a problem.

Furthermore, the whole reason sites like Bandcamp offer a choice in the file type is to appease that 1% to whom this is a big deal. What Entity is pointing out is that if the master is lossy, there is NO reason to offer the file in a lossless format.

Because the price is the same no matter the file type, this is not an issue of not getting what you paid for. But because the master is lossy, this means that:

a) Anyone downloading a lossless file is being deceived (although I doubt the deception is intentional in this case).

b) Anyone downloading a lossless file is actually just downloading an MP3 quality file that is bloated in size.

This is a very legitimate complaint, and not one that should piss off Omar and the folks at Nadie. It would be more harmful to their reputation in the long run in this went unaddressed, so as a fan who supports the band, I would consider it imperative to point this out.

#49 e7add9

e7add9

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Joined 16-April 12

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:15 AM

I'm guessing it was just done relatively quickly with some plugins as opposed to a proper mastering suite/engineer. Fair enough, it sounds rad to me. Music!

Is there a chance, however, that something has happened at Bandcamp's end? Is what goes up *precisely* what comes back down again or is there some kind of re-jiggery format guff going on?

I guess we'll never know...... *eerie howl of wind*

https://bandcamp.com...loadrequirement

Bandcamp only allows uploads of lossless files... wav, FLAC or AIFF. uploading an mp3 to their site is not possible

#50 silver sailer

silver sailer

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts
  • Joined 27-January 08

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:26 AM

Wasn't this whole discussion started because of what someone got off of What? Is it still possible that the problems were not from the Omar/Nadie/Bandcamp side of things, but from whoever possibly uploaded the wrong (or misidentified) tracks to What? Or do we know for sure this is an original source problem?

Doesn't really matter to me as I can't really tell the difference anyway, but I was just wondering.

#51 Entity

Entity

Black & White Surveillance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Joined 01-July 03

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:38 AM

i didn't get it off What, the problem was noticed on What originally and we then analysed the original files and found the problem still existed, hence why it was brought up here. We wouldn't have gone through all of this rigmarole if the problem had been with a user encoding it wrong. it's been traced back to the original source files and we're still waiting to see if anyone corrects the problem.

#52 psychoshamanism

psychoshamanism

nada sin ti

• Members
  • 7800 posts
  • Joined 03-May 09

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:48 AM

This thread is such a slap in the face to Omar and co. It's also insulting to Matt and all his hard work and kindness.

#53 SharkHorse

SharkHorse

SharkHorse In The Gene Pool?! Nay!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • Joined 30-August 13

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:50 AM

No, it's not.

#54 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6822 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:02 AM

Honestly as Seyon said it's a legitimate complaint in my opinion.  Omar and Cedric should be just as eager to fix it as we are to get it fixed.  If it were my music I would want to get the problem fixed ASAP.  I (and probably most of the people in this thread) have thanked Matt countless times and will continue to be grateful for his contributions to Nadie and this community, but this is something the Nadie camp should know about.  I'm not too bent out of shape about it because it's just a remaster and doesn't sound extremely different, but it would be a bummer if it never got fixed.

#55 silver sailer

silver sailer

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts
  • Joined 27-January 08

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:12 AM

i didn't get it off What, the problem was noticed on What originally and we then analysed the original files and found the problem still existed, hence why it was brought up here. We wouldn't have gone through all of this rigmarole if the problem had been with a user encoding it wrong. it's been traced back to the original source files and we're still waiting to see if anyone corrects the problem.

Alright, I was just wondering. Like I said it doesn't really matter too much to me. Just wanted to know if that had been cleared up.

#56 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5623 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:52 PM

This thread is such a slap in the face to Omar and co. It's also insulting to Matt and all his hard work and kindness.

don't be dumb no it isn't.

#57 TL_

TL_

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2478 posts
  • Joined 11-October 10

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:11 PM

Honestly as Seyon said it's a legitimate complaint in my opinion.  Omar and Cedric should be just as eager to fix it as we are to get it fixed.  If it were my music I would want to get the problem fixed ASAP.  I (and probably most of the people in this thread) have thanked Matt countless times and will continue to be grateful for his contributions to Nadie and this community, but this is something the Nadie camp should know about.  I'm not too bent out of shape about it because it's just a remaster and doesn't sound extremely different, but it would be a bummer if it never got fixed.

The only real issue in all of this is that the tone in some of the posts has been unnecessarily aggressive toward Nadie.

#58 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5623 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:00 PM

The only real issue in all of this is that the tone in some of the posts has been unnecessarily aggressive toward Nadie.

Not really even that.  It's just that some people aren't going to verbally suck off Nadie for every little morsel they provide.  It is great they are doing it, but they should be held to the same standard we'd expect of any band/label.  Just because you slap a Buffalo sticker on something doesn't give an excuse to cut corners and not be accountable.

Frankly I've felt all criticisms have been quite objective and respectful.

#59 buddh4sack

buddh4sack

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4398 posts
  • Joined 19-April 08
  • Interests:The Secret of The Widow

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:27 PM

This thread is such a slap in the face to fanboys and dickriders. It's also insulting to me and my tender feelings.

#60 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5623 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:04 PM

This thread is such a slap in the face to fanboys and dickriders. It's also insulting to me and my tender feelings.

Maybe if I dick ride hard enough they will mention me in the liner notes

"to snkzato1...seriously bro GoTD"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users