IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Ikey's death; F*ck Pitchfork; do somethingpiece of shit corporate blog capitalizes on death

ikey ikey owens pitchfork the mars volta twitter

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 DigitalJ

DigitalJ

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Joined 08-July 06

Posted 15 October 2014 - 02:21 PM

Here's the TL;DR: go to bottom and raise some hell on P4K's twitter for being insensitive, callous and clueless for shitting on Ikey for a decade and a half then using his death for clickbait. 

I made a lot of real friends over the years on the strength of this board, especially on the west coast. A member since 2003 (Theory vaporized my first account when I DM'd someone a shitty leak of FTM - no shade to Theory, we actually keep up in some capacity these days.) Traveling to 30+ shows, maybe close to 40, over the last 9 years and meeting folks from LA to SF to NY to Bonnaroo to DC where I live, TMV brought a lot of good things and especially people into my life. 

Being a nerd and meeting the band before or after shows was always exciting and, if that didn't happen, maybe you just share a few hours of good times and cazadores or some weed or beers with friends. But most people will tell you that out of everyone, Ikey was usually the one invariably around to chat, talk music, take a photo, and just generally be siced (DC slang) on life. And he was expending as much if not more on stage as anyone else but still just a totally cool, giving dude. Others who know him well and spent infinitely more time with him than me can speak to this better but it always seems to be the same sentiment.

TO THAT END, it really just is a fucking thorn in my side and I think in anyone's who's followed the group over the years to have Pitchfork - a blog that has overgrown from humble beginnings in Minnesota on to Chicago and now BK into a corporate shilling, underpaying, label conscious behemoth of fuckery - even address Ikey's passing. They have NEVER reviewed a Free Moral Agents record and the following ratings out of 10 points were given to much of Ikey's life's work: De-Loused (4.9,) FtM (2.9,) Scabdates (3.5,) Amputechture (3.5,) Bedlam (4.3,) (FWIW, albums w/o Ikey, Octahedron got a 6.0 and Noctourniquet wasn't reviewed.) That's a 3.82 average and the actual reviews were merciless - I'm sure there's reams on the topic somewhere here on Coma.

If any of you are on Twitter, please take the opportunity to let @pitchfork know what pieces of fucking shit they really are to even address the passing of such a vital member of the American musical community at large when they took every opportunity to shit on his projects or just ignore them. If they weren't fucking scared of Jack White and gobbling up anything Third Man records does for their bro as fuck readership, they'd probably have done the same to his solo records. 

Here's links to the their two dipshit tweets on the topic of Ikey yesterday:

https://twitter.com/...178988673077248

https://twitter.com/...082689097023489

Here's the founder: https://twitter.com/ryanpitchfork

Interesting that for such an edgy site, the most engagement they had on a post all year was for Fleetwood fucking Mac. Fuckboys, all of them.

Alternately, Questlove has posted some touching stuff on Ikey on his IG, and Brent Hinds from Mastodon, and myriad others. Worth checking out.

Miss you Ikey, and I miss all of you who I haven't seen in a long time or in person. I'll be at Antemasque in DC on 11/5 and Brooklyn on 11/8. Say hi if you're in the building.

Josh

#2 inxy

inxy

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Joined 04-March 14

Posted 15 October 2014 - 02:56 PM

vS4GMDX.png

#3 buddh4sack

buddh4sack

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4398 posts
  • Joined 19-April 08
  • Interests:The Secret of The Widow

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:07 PM

Loved what you had to say about Ikey;  I'm just going to think about positive stuff like that, and ignore a shitty irrelevant music blog that's only good for browsing lists of new releases.

#4 DigitalJ

DigitalJ

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Joined 08-July 06

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:32 PM

You're totally on point with that. I just wanted to put it out there for anyone else who was both sad and then a little pissed at the irony of them. And yes re: new releases. 

Loved what you had to say about Ikey;  I'm just going to think about positive stuff like that, and ignore a shitty irrelevant music blog that's only good for browsing lists of new releases.

#5 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

in•ter a•li•a•moms

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5449 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me be about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:56 PM

Digital J I thought the same thing, but at the end of the day that is not what matters.  

Think of the good moments.  The moments that made you want to defend Ikey so badly.  

It was weird, yesterday morning I was blasting some '08 live Volta on the way to class.  Hadn't listened to them in quite a while, but figured it was a good chance to catch up with some comfort music.  Little did I know.  Coincidences....crazy

#6 DigitalJ

DigitalJ

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Joined 08-July 06

Posted 15 October 2014 - 04:07 PM

You're right. It's wild, I haven't been on the coma in a long time - maybe once a year - but came right back yesterday to read everyone's tributes. 

My office is dealing with me and Scabdates blasting this AM, and being very cool about it!

Digital J I thought the same thing, but at the end of the day that is not what matters.  

Think of the good moments.  The moments that made you want to defend Ikey so badly.  

It was weird, yesterday morning I was blasting some '08 live Volta on the way to class.  Hadn't listened to them in quite a while, but figured it was a good chance to catch up with some comfort music.  Little did I know.  Coincidences....crazy

#7 Pongo

Pongo

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1095 posts
  • Joined 09-September 04

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:42 PM

1) That's not clickbait.

2) Ikey's passing is a national news story.

#8 Bane Fubar

Bane Fubar

©ubic litre

• Banned
  • 32781 posts
  • Joined 16-February 07

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:51 PM

Negative reviews for TMV doesn't mean they shit on Ikey.

#9 BlakeSstackhouse

BlakeSstackhouse

Simulacrum

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts
  • Joined 24-June 13
  • Interests:Midgets with one leg. Giants with five eyes. Reciting woman into polarity. Human Taxidermist. 25 glowing blue candles in a dark well or inside of a whales belly. Three pronged frogs. Court cases that deal with missing fingers. The study of Germ locations as opposed to counterfeit.
  • Facebook
  • Myspace
  • Twitter

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:36 PM

I never liked pitchfork anyway..........I just went on their twitter and raped them in the face.

#10 BlakeSstackhouse

BlakeSstackhouse

Simulacrum

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts
  • Joined 24-June 13
  • Interests:Midgets with one leg. Giants with five eyes. Reciting woman into polarity. Human Taxidermist. 25 glowing blue candles in a dark well or inside of a whales belly. Three pronged frogs. Court cases that deal with missing fingers. The study of Germ locations as opposed to counterfeit.
  • Facebook
  • Myspace
  • Twitter

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:01 PM

When you mourn someones passing and if you are going to do it over an internet forum..... please try to only say positive things about what he did or how he was when he was alive, what you remembered, the best about him and share positive stories or feelings that you have, there is never a point in just logging on to type "oh damn, shit fuck, damn, thats sad". Contribute to his memory, just like he would have wanted.  His soul is in a good place right now. 

#11 Cosmic Lung

Cosmic Lung

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Joined 06-July 07

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:53 AM

this is dumb. Rip ikey you are great

#12 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

WHAT IS MY PROBLEM??

• Members
  • 8846 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11
  • Interests:Cross dressing
    gang bangin

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:15 AM

wow a music news site reported music news!!!

i dont think they held anything against ikey, jesus christ man, it doesn't fucking matter

#13 Nujabez

Nujabez

Goliath

• Members
  • 4421 posts
  • Joined 03-July 05

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:50 PM

Pitchfork is just reporting music news. 

#14 Ilyena

Ilyena

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1841 posts
  • Joined 28-July 05

Posted 19 October 2014 - 05:12 AM

Honestly I think it would be more disrespectful to not mention Ikey's passing.  Pitchfork will come around to TMV in the next ten years.

#15 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

WHAT IS MY PROBLEM??

• Members
  • 8846 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11
  • Interests:Cross dressing
    gang bangin

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:09 PM

Did you see how try rated the relationship of command release last year compared to the original? DitC will get best new reissue one day

#16 Xero

Xero

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1936 posts
  • Joined 10-July 03

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:42 PM

It's so pointless to be upset at Pitchfork for reporting music news. 

Did you expect them to not report on Ikey's death?

#17 BlakeSstackhouse

BlakeSstackhouse

Simulacrum

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts
  • Joined 24-June 13
  • Facebook
  • Myspace
  • Twitter

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:33 PM

yall sensitive

#18 A.N.Other

A.N.Other

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2964 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:12 AM

DitC will get best new reissue one day

They have just included De-Loused in their "worst covers of all time" list.

#19 buddh4sack

buddh4sack

Goliath

• Members
  • 4398 posts
  • Joined 19-April 08
  • Interests:The Secret of The Widow

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:57 PM

Well, my cd has the cover flipped to show the alternate, so I can't complain about that...

#20 R.I.P.TMV

R.I.P.TMV

custom skanxx here we gooo

• Coma Donor
  • 5161 posts
  • Joined 01-September 13
  • Interests:quint4ever<3
  • Twitter

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:10 PM

I really hope they aren't in any specific order. What a list.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ikey, ikey owens, pitchfork, the mars volta, twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users