IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Anyone see this?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#21 ballsmcgrath

ballsmcgrath

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1381 posts
  • Joined 17-October 10

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:18 AM

I've always imagined the mars volta would be like the flaming lips in a sense. Unfortunately I was wrong.

#22 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2846 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 16 November 2016 - 06:41 PM

Or fortunately.

#23 ballsmcgrath

ballsmcgrath

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1381 posts
  • Joined 17-October 10

Posted 16 November 2016 - 08:52 PM

What's wrong? Maybe they'd collaborate with Miley down the road.
miley-cyrus-funny-faces-5-1377697813-vie

#24 auxfnx

auxfnx

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • Joined 26-October 10

Posted 16 November 2016 - 09:29 PM

i really hope if they do TMV again that it is not just a tour... and if it's gotta start with a tour, then it better be like 80-90% new tunes. would really hate to see tmv become anything other than their creative device

#25 TL_

TL_

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2460 posts
  • Joined 11-October 10

Posted 16 November 2016 - 09:49 PM

If TMV start touring again, I hope they still play some of their older material. Not everyone has had the privilege of seeing them live before.

#26 Ghost Of Shark Horse

Ghost Of Shark Horse

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1323 posts
  • Joined 15-June 15

Posted 16 November 2016 - 09:55 PM

If TMV start touring again, I hope they still play some of their older material. Not everyone has had the privilege of seeing them live before.

Yeah, me too.

That and the fact that the new stuff wont be as good as...

#27 issordni

issordni

Goliath

• Coma Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4907 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Cats and foxes.

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:20 PM

Bands happen in eras. I'll always be gutted I never saw RATM tour Evil Empire, or Tool touring Aenima. As superb as the London 2002 Tool gigs were, the bootlegs I had from the Aenima tour speak of a young band playing their masterpiece record with earnest delight, unawareness, naivety almost. RATM was all downhill after EE, and their setlists were just 'greatest hits' sets on the Battle of LA tour. Point is, you either catch bands in their moment, that moment that resonates strongest with you, or you don't. It's only through awareness of bootlegs and such that I'm even aware of setlist and performance nuances, changes in style.

I want to see sincerely made, sincerely performed music by C+O in a live setting. If they play the old stuff on any future Volta tour, please don't let it come across like the Elitch tour. They were covering themselves. No wonder they ditched their entire setlist and aesthetic direction after Elitch left. I can just about take the Pridgen gigs from the Octahedron tour, but by the time Elitch was in they were tired of being that Mars Volta. At The Drive In this year, in London, were great - but clearly still bedding Keeley in. It felt slightly performative, like they were playing "at" you rather than to or for you, but at the same time, they were having fun. Omar was having fun. The songs sounded great. And that's really all I want. Omar haaving fun, songs sounding great.

#28 auxfnx

auxfnx

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • Joined 26-October 10

Posted 16 November 2016 - 11:49 PM

i did see them live during noctourniquet but it didn't bother me at all at the time that the set was 80% new, it feels a lot more current and relevant and with a greater purpose to it when a band focuses on their new material... i feel like there has to be new stuff because that seemed to be part of the ethos of the mars volta, pretty much always pushing the new & different stuff, the experimental nature of it all. if it comes back with nothing new to offer, i don't think there will be much there for me. i would of course still go to see them, it wouldn't make me not like them or anything, but it's the hope for new music that makes me want them to reunite. i got used to not seeing a lot of my favourite bands live, living in ireland haha. luckily in recent years a lot more bands are touring here, including omar related projects.

#29 espio13

espio13

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Joined 01-February 09

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:14 AM

I saw the twice back in 09, seriously the best 2 concerts Ive ever seen in my life

#30 TheFleshofMidnight

TheFleshofMidnight

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1489 posts
  • Joined 17-November 09

Posted 17 November 2016 - 05:29 AM

I've expected too much from Cedric and Omar to expect much more from them musically in the future. BR probably not happening again. Antemasque isn't coming out for another 6 months probably. At the drive in album isn't coming out till September next year.
If they ever did TMV again i say screw all the previous material and just make a shit ton of new TMV music. Only acceptable if Jon is drummer again.
New Omar stuff is great. But no new Omar Cedric music in a while has been depressing. Antemasque was ok, enjoyed seeing them live. And noctourniquet came out over 4 years ago. Saw the music from that album live over 5 years ago before the album came out.
Need a new album.

#31 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2846 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 17 November 2016 - 05:51 AM

September? Stop makin shit up yo.

#32 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3786 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 17 November 2016 - 05:59 AM

Why do you think they covered themselves on the elitch tour?

#33 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3786 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 17 November 2016 - 07:23 AM

If Am3 is the new TMV I am done with these assholes.

#34 nembutals

nembutals

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Joined 16-July 10

Posted 17 November 2016 - 07:43 AM

Bands happen in eras. I'll always be gutted I never saw RATM tour Evil Empire, or Tool touring Aenima. As superb as the London 2002 Tool gigs were, the bootlegs I had from the Aenima tour speak of a young band playing their masterpiece record with earnest delight, unawareness, naivety almost. RATM was all downhill after EE, and their setlists were just 'greatest hits' sets on the Battle of LA tour. Point is, you either catch bands in their moment, that moment that resonates strongest with you, or you don't. It's only through awareness of bootlegs and such that I'm even aware of setlist and performance nuances, changes in style.

I want to see sincerely made, sincerely performed music by C+O in a live setting. If they play the old stuff on any future Volta tour, please don't let it come across like the Elitch tour. They were covering themselves. No wonder they ditched their entire setlist and aesthetic direction after Elitch left. I can just about take the Pridgen gigs from the Octahedron tour, but by the time Elitch was in they were tired of being that Mars Volta. At The Drive In this year, in London, were great - but clearly still bedding Keeley in. It felt slightly performative, like they were playing "at" you rather than to or for you, but at the same time, they were having fun. Omar was having fun. The songs sounded great. And that's really all I want. Omar haaving fun, songs sounding great.

Yeah, the bandmembers having fun is all you can ask for. When they enjoy it everything else will coalesce around that.

Cool that C updated his bio to say that about Volta. I doubt it means its being worked on in any context, probably just that the relationship between him & the others is good now and the door is always open when they want to do it again. Family life + atdi + Antemasque on the side are probably keeping him busy enough.

#35 ballsmcgrath

ballsmcgrath

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1381 posts
  • Joined 17-October 10

Posted 17 November 2016 - 07:51 PM

06-conway-twitty-true-detective.w750.h56

#36 olympusmons

olympusmons

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Joined 25-April 06

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:54 PM

New music, with a classic lineup, would be great. Sure, hearing stuff off Frances or Amp would make me happy, but Volta was about change from the get-go. If they take that spirit from those years and go make new jaw-dropping, mind-melting, rump-shakin' epics, epics in whatever way they choose to define it now, it would be fantastic.

#37 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2846 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:57 PM

The best part is when Omar says there's still so much to do with Volta.

#38 issordni

issordni

Goliath

• Coma Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4907 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Cats and foxes.

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:20 PM

Got the feeling that the Noctourniquet line up was essentially a new band (entirely different aesthetic style from the line-up and music up to album art and band photo) - always felt to me like the early Volta stuff they did put in their sets at the very end was a bit token, but there's undoubtedly some unfinished business there in that line-up and style. 

I think the crucial question, ignoring the lingering bassist issue, is the drummer. It's either Deantoni or Theodore, but a profoundly consequential choice. D would be the progressive, forward thinking choice, JT would be the nostalgia (and indeed bums-on-seats) choice, the "Make Volta Great Again" choice, if you will excuse me.

A part of me recognises that Omar has found a genuine partner, seen and matched on a level, in Deantoni, but that they should perhaps stick to true collaborative work and exclude Volta from that. I don't know. But whatever it is, just keep your hearts in it please.

#39 Ghost Of Shark Horse

Ghost Of Shark Horse

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1323 posts
  • Joined 15-June 15

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:37 PM

Got the feeling that the Noctourniquet line up was essentially a new band (entirely different aesthetic style from the line-up and music up to album art and band photo) - always felt to me like the early Volta stuff they did put in their sets at the very end was a bit token, but there's undoubtedly some unfinished business there in that line-up and style. 

I think the crucial question, ignoring the lingering bassist issue, is the drummer. It's either Deantoni or Theodore, but a profoundly consequential choice. D would be the progressive, forward thinking choice, JT would be the nostalgia (and indeed bums-on-seats) choice, the "Make Volta Great Again" choice, if you will excuse me.

A part of me recognises that Omar has found a genuine partner, seen and matched on a level, in Deantoni, but that they should perhaps stick to true collaborative work and exclude Volta from that. I don't know. But whatever it is, just keep your hearts in it please.

In a perfect world, JT could do Volta and DP do Omar's solo stuff with Cedric singing.

#40 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2846 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:44 PM

In a perfect world, the Nocto our lineup reunites and makes a record. Then they kindly ask them to leave so they can finish things off, full circle, with Jon and Eva. And Deantoni and co accept.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users