IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Sick of Omars solo albums

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 poita

poita

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Joined 11-May 04

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:58 AM

Any one else sick of Omars solo albums?they pretty much all sound the same.You can only take so much of the repetitive bass lines,the stupid chorus/vibrato drenched guitar sound and the same old synth sound effects.The Apocalypse Inside of an Orange was for me the last good solo album he released.It had all of the aspects i mentioned above that i didnt like but the songs were good,the riffs were good, it made me feel something.This new stuff is just bland.It seems like the sort of stuff you write when your struggling to come up with something good, the in between stuff you wipe the next day after you have recorded it. I still respect Omar like none other and i love everything he has released with The Mars Volta but he is either looking for a bit of cash or his hearing is damaged from spending too much time in the studio.

#2 whodunit?

whodunit?

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Joined 13-December 07

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:11 PM

If you don't like them=stop downloading them and don't listen this music.

Simple as that.

#3 Veni-yan Warrior

Veni-yan Warrior

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3287 posts
  • Joined 27-February 05

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:20 PM

The Zach Hill collaboration should be different from most everything else. So give that a try in a few months for something fresh.

#4 nardo

nardo

Lord of the Links

• Dictator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6218 posts
  • Joined 21-July 03

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:00 PM

Some of them you really have to be in a certain mood to get into them. I didn't enjoy "Minor Cuts" very much but the other day I gave "Absence" another chance on vinyl and it is definitely one of my favorites right now, it just needs to be played loud (and preferably not in mp3 on computer speakers). First few times I heard it I thought it was shit (not "the", just shit). "Calibration" is another one that some days it's great to hear, other days it annoys the hell out of me, so I certainly don't agree that they all sound the same.

Can't say anything about "Old Money" and the 2 new ones since I haven't listened to them at all (or via crappy headphones at work and in mp3).

#5 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13825 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:12 PM

Simple as that.

#6 SCVSnare3

SCVSnare3

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Joined 10-September 06
  • Interests:Music, traveling, recording, coffee, running

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:44 PM

Some of them you really have to be in a certain mood to get into them. I didn't enjoy "Minor Cuts" very much but the other day I gave "Absence" another chance on vinyl and it is definitely one of my favorites right now, it just needs to be played loud (and preferably not in mp3 on computer speakers). First few times I heard it I thought it was shit (not "the", just shit). "Calibration" is another one that some days it's great to hear, other days it annoys the hell out of me, so I certainly don't agree that they all sound the same.

I agree with this completely.

#7 IVeilCerpinTaxtI

IVeilCerpinTaxtI

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3317 posts
  • Joined 01-February 05
  • Interests:Drums, Bass, Music...
  • Facebook
  • Myspace

Posted 05 February 2009 - 06:25 PM

Simple as that.

Yup. That's all that can be said. Old Money and Megaritual definitely have a bit more variety in them...but most of the actual structured music is saved for The Mars Volta. Omar has already said that The Mars Volta is where most of his focus belongs. I'm guessing he just uses his solo project to share unfinished ideas or pieces that are still in the works.

#8 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13825 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:02 PM

After being listening so much to the "amsterdam series" I listened to AMD and it felt so different...

I'm sure next album Omar does will be different to the others

#9 TMV Sucks

TMV Sucks

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Joined 05-July 08

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:42 PM

Simple as that.

Yup. That's all that can be said. Old Money and Megaritual definitely have a bit more variety in them...but most of the actual structured music is saved for The Mars Volta. Omar has already said that The Mars Volta is where most of his focus belongs. I'm guessing he just uses his solo project to share unfinished ideas or pieces that are still in the works.

Very true! You know im willing to bet that once the next TMV record comes out and the band are no longer contracted to Universal that we will almost see an end to Omar's solo records. Like you mentioned he see's the band as his main focus, stuff he sets his sights on when he has the time and the financies to do so. He has also admitted that he'll let something be released almost just to earn some cash to pump back into other projects. Since most of his solo output is old stuff its probably just to get the stuff out there and for it to be heard and earn him some dough. When TMV can release two or more (or however many) records Omar wants to release he will probably just loss the solo outlet and concentrate full time on the band. I for one cannot wait to see if this is the case. Can you even imagine how many records and also just how far out and interesting the bands material could be like when they are completely free from label restraints? I for one really wish they either release albums with all sorts of labels or sign with Ipecac records as they only write one record deal at a time and allow artists complete control. Omar could release LP after LP and the label wouldn't mind.

#10 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13825 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:10 AM

As long as he doesnt rush the albums...

TMV will find it's end sooner if he gets out of ideas from releasing one album after another

#11 poita

poita

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Joined 11-May 04

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:45 AM

Simple as that.

What's the use of that??i have to listen to them to find out if i like them or not.I can't just just look at the album cover and the song names and go "HMMM i don't like this album i won't listen to it".

#12 IVeilCerpinTaxtI

IVeilCerpinTaxtI

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3317 posts
  • Joined 01-February 05
  • Interests:Drums, Bass, Music...
  • Facebook
  • Myspace

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:01 AM

Simple as that.

What's the use of that??i have to listen to them to find out if i like them or not.I can't just just look at the album cover and the song names and go "HMMM i don't like this album i won't listen to it".

LMAO!!! You totally bring up a good point, my friend. You win.

#13 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13825 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:46 AM

No it's not... I'm not making threads about how sick I am of Fall out boy because I listen to their albums and do not like them

you should know what to expect from Omar, if you say you're sick of their albums it's because you didn't like most of them or you are exagerating

#14 poita

poita

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Joined 11-May 04

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:01 AM

No it's not... I'm not making threads about how sick I am of Fall out boy because I listen to their albums and do not like them

you should know what to expect from Omar, if you say you're sick of their albums it's because you didn't like most of them or you are exagerating

You actually listen to fall out boy albums from start to finish.Im sorry for you.

#15 seb18

seb18

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1307 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:30 AM

Any one else sick of Omars solo albums?they pretty much all sound the same.You can only take so much of the repetitive bass lines,the stupid chorus/vibrato drenched guitar sound and the same old synth sound effects.The Apocalypse Inside of an Orange was for me the last good solo album he released.It had all of the aspects i mentioned above that i didnt like but the songs were good,the riffs were good, it made me feel something.This new stuff is just bland.It seems like the sort of stuff you write when your struggling to come up with something good, the in between stuff you wipe the next day after you have recorded it. I still respect Omar like none other and i love everything he has released with The Mars Volta but he is either looking for a bit of cash or his hearing is damaged from spending too much time in the studio.

you will die someday.

#16 in.visi0n___

in.visi0n___

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts
  • Joined 20-June 07

Posted 06 February 2009 - 07:39 AM

you will die someday.

we will all die someday...lucky for us we aren't trapped in the same spaceship for too long...

thats my favorite volta backdrop...

if your sick of the new omar albums that is perfectly understandable...but if you haven't heard 'hands vs helix' of how 'screaming babies...' transitions into 'at the push of a button' or all the little nuances of the music that leaves me absolutely breathless at times than you haven't given them enough attention.

The cool thing about a lot of omars solo music to me is that there might be 10-45 seconds of a song that I will really like and all the annoying sounds/interruptions are like preludes, barriers, obstacles in the way of 10-45 seconds of pure hyperdimensional bliss to my ears and it is in that moment that I appreciate the music as a whole. I also feel as if I understand better why all the sounds most people cannot handle are there.

I also agree that sometimes I cannot listen to an album on certain days, but other days I will be totally in the mood....

listen to the music loud and with good quality speakers/headphones/heavy vinyl et c and look at what pictures can be painted in your mind's eye....

#17 Sorrki

Sorrki

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1019 posts
  • Joined 15-May 06
  • Interests:Music, Drums, Books, Movies.
  • Twitter

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:15 AM

As long as he doesnt rush the albums...

TMV will find it's end sooner if he gets out of ideas from releasing one album after another

Well, it seems like he records the albums way before the release anyway, so when he will get tired of mars volta it's not becaue he released too quick. He writes and records his stuff even though it can take several month's to the release date.

#18 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13825 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:01 PM

You actually listen to fall out boy albums from start to finish.Im sorry for you.

it was an example Posted Image

it wouldn't have any sense if I named a good band

#19 OmarChangedMyLife

OmarChangedMyLife

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts
  • Joined 19-September 08

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:49 PM

The cool thing about a lot of omars solo music to me is that there might be 10-45 seconds of a song that I will really like and all the annoying sounds/interruptions are like preludes, barriers, obstacles in the way of 10-45 seconds of pure hyperdimensional bliss to my ears and it is in that moment that I appreciate the music as a whole. I also feel as if I understand better why all the sounds most people cannot handle are there.

I also agree that sometimes I cannot listen to an album on certain days, but other days I will be totally in the mood....

listen to the music loud and with good quality speakers/headphones/heavy vinyl et c and look at what pictures can be painted in your mind's eye....

I would love to discuss Omar's albums with you. People who don't appreciate his music, aren't understanding how much of an artist (in every sense of the word) that he is. But it's all opinions.

#20 omar'sbaby'smomma

omar'sbaby'smomma

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Joined 20-November 04
  • Interests:THE MARS VOLTA!!!!! Omar's butt!!!!! Jon's crotch!!!!! Cedric's eyes!!!!! Ikey's hands!!!!! Juan's legs!!!!! Adrian's mouth!!!!! Marcel's hair!!!!! Paul's beard!!!!!
  • Myspace

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:27 AM

Simple as that.

BAM. :laugh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users