IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

(#033) ¿Sólo Extraño?

¿Sólo Extraño?

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#321 zilla333

zilla333

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Joined 14-April 14

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:27 AM

This album is already incredible. Sure a cleaner mix would be an improvement but it's really not as bad as some of the other 2012-13 releases.

#322 auxfnx

auxfnx

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Joined 26-October 10

Posted 03 November 2016 - 03:20 AM

Admittedly I'm not someone who is super into albums that consist primarily of free form jamming, but I think if this album had a more powerful mix it would be a lot more enjoyable for me.  As it is the drums are super quiet and muffled (aside from the kick obviously) and it kind of just sucks all the energy out of the album.

i am wholeheartedly against the idea that this album consists primarily of free form jamming. most things are in a key, but pretty odd ones, and a lot of elements are made more noisy than melodic by effects, but the melodies are there.

a simple treble boost does wonders for this album. it is a noisy mix but that is an essential part of the sound of the album. i also feel it is more musically chaotic than sonically chaotic, so i don't know how much a re-mix would change this unless it was actually removing entire layers from the songs etc. much like el bien is to un escorpion. the lofi sound of the album sits very well with me, makes deantoni's drumming very beatbox-y

#323 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6868 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 03 November 2016 - 04:44 AM

I guess "free form jamming" isn't the most accurate phrase.  But only a few songs have actual structures with distinct parts.  Most of them are jams built on a single riff/loop.  I would say Sworn Virgins is an example of an album made in a similar way, but the mixing, vocals, and production take it to another level.  Solo Extrano could be awesome if it were given the same treatment.  But that's just my opinion, I understand that there are people who are happy with it the way it is.

#324 Veni-yan Warrior

Veni-yan Warrior

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3295 posts
  • Joined 27-February 05

Posted 03 November 2016 - 07:03 PM

I think Turn for Caring is the quintessential Deantoni drum track.

It's pretty damn great.  And it came back in the form of "Edasich".

#325 goliathsoctahedron

goliathsoctahedron

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Joined 12-June 09

Posted 04 November 2016 - 07:38 AM

So a big thing rn I think is how Omar has been reusing a lot of bits and pieces from older material, successfully I think on El Bien, but particularly ineffectively, on Weekly Mansions...

But here on this record, the most badass easter egg in Omar solo material, the last seconds of Devouring a Sibling from Minor Cuts alluding to Discursos from this record. I can't begin to imagine how they're connected, who did what, or what came first, but damn that gave me chills when I first realized that while listening to my Minor Cuts LP a while back.

#326 natedog807

natedog807

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2909 posts
  • Joined 11-April 11
  • Interests:I wanted to edit this, but this just seems like a lot of work. I need to do my English essay and study for my Econ final

Posted 04 November 2016 - 07:53 AM

It fucking blew my mind when I first heard it. I heard Discursos first. So after hearing Devouring, that sad, beautiful song, I was floored

#327 goliathsoctahedron

goliathsoctahedron

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Joined 12-June 09

Posted 04 November 2016 - 07:59 AM

Exactly! I had head the Minor Cuts record enough times, but that last blip of Devouring was not anything I ever remembered, so hearing it again after Solo is such a cool way to experience that.

#328 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5687 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 07 November 2016 - 02:15 PM

Listened back to Solo Extrano at the weekend. Wow.

#329 natedog807

natedog807

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2909 posts
  • Joined 11-April 11
  • Interests:I wanted to edit this, but this just seems like a lot of work. I need to do my English essay and study for my Econ final

Posted 07 November 2016 - 07:52 PM

Which is better for you, Solo or Nome De Guerre?

#330 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5687 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:15 PM

That's like asking me to compare the album version of Cicatriz Esp with the 4 minute demo recording.

#331 goliathsoctahedron

goliathsoctahedron

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Joined 12-June 09

Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:20 PM

This album is really damn good already too.... just some iffy things on the mix and some of the not as bad 2012/13 vocals, crazy awesome and badass tunes and sonic stuff happening, really fun to listen to this with headphones on and hear all the little crazy samples that play and happen in the background. I at the moment without hearing NDG would say looking past the iffy vocals / mix which really arent that bad this is really one of his best albums.

if the new versions really are better it kind of makes me almost look at this album as a leak of the demos that randomly got posted on the bandcamp haphazardly and pretty much got no real fanfare or anything to accompany it.

Totally excited and not upset that this album is being revisited.

#332 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • 9084 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11

Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:27 AM

yeah dude im excited. i think what is great about Solo Extrano is that the songs are quite versatile, so would sound great played in different ways - i was thinking how good some of these songs might sound if there was analog bass and some guitar in here with some 'gritty' production. even knowing that NDGC revisits this, i still have no idea what that record will sound like

#333 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3792 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:31 AM

is it confirmed sonny did the cover for this?

#334 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • 9084 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:00 AM

Not confirmed. I guess it's credited to whoever directed Turtle Neck video

#335 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3792 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:33 AM

ah yeah i forgot that was hidden in there. no credits for the video so i guess it must've been omar?

#336 Andrewf

Andrewf

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4426 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:03 PM

More electronic wankery that sounds like it was created on a laptop in 1996. Please take away Omar's microphone and tell him to plug his instruments back in. And Sargent House should burn anything left that sounds like this. It's fine he wants to do something different, but 8 or so albums later its quite boring and un-listenable. and remember, opinions are like assholes... 

So this all didn't start in 2016...

#337 Andrewf

Andrewf

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4426 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:07 PM

If I was him I would refine these songs. Put out one fantastic record with refined versions of the BEST of the best from these albums. If he can give us an "original" Horror and 2 versions of Right Of Way, then he can re-record "Sea Is Rising" with a punchier sound and a change with the vocal approach.

Fucking prophet right here. Maybe omar is sitting on the coma?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ¿Sólo Extraño?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users