IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

(#033) ¿Sólo Extraño?

¿Sólo Extraño?

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#41 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2956 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

Can't understand why so much hate now with the whispered vocals. Everyone should be used to them by now.

But that's like, if someone regularly walked up to you and punched you in the nuts, would you get used to it? If it's something you really don't like, you really don't like it! Like for real!

LOL yeah that's a weird thing to tell somebody. You've heard enough of it by now so why aren't you fine with it!? Huh?

#42 swisa112

swisa112

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Joined 01-May 12

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

I like his vocals. You don't have to be a brilliant singer to sing, anyone can sing.

He also put so much effects that it doesn't matter who sings.

#43 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4667 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

Ok guys. Quemamos Lo automatically gets inserted into Omar's Top Ten Songs.

HOLEE SHIT

#44 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • 4667 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

What the fuck did I just witness???

This new shit he's doing with D kinda makes his older stuff look weak.

#45 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • 4667 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

Gah damn. Time to go back to the drawing boards and make some new music. Fuck you Omar!

edit: sorry for the triple post, but I'm trippin out right now.

#46 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9088 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

Is House In The Sand another version of Right Of Way?

Yeah I thought it sounded like a song on USM. 

I think I might this album better than Woman!, going to give it a few more listens first. To me it sounds like an Amsterdam Era album that's been synthed-up

#47 Veni-yan Warrior

Veni-yan Warrior

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3295 posts
  • Joined 27-February 05

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

Definitely a record for headphones.  I liked it even more last night.  But really, upon first listen, I liked this wayyyy more than Unicorn Skeleton Mask.  Which is backwards to just about everyone else.

#48 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • 9088 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

also it's kinda weird that it seems Sargent House/RLP have made no mention of this album

#49 psychoshamanism

psychoshamanism

nada sin ti

• Members
  • 7800 posts
  • Joined 03-May 09

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

I was peaking on psilocybin last night when this was posted. really enjoyed the atmosphere it created in my mind.

#50 Seattleite

Seattleite

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2797 posts
  • Joined 07-September 07

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

Some after thoughts: love how Omar always ends it with a fuckin Bang. Last track is phenomenal. I really dig this album, especially House in the Sand. I think it surpasses Right of Way with a slower tempo and a more refined sound. The ambience is awesome. Horror is also really amazing, love how it's so different from the live version. Best track for me is definitely Invisible Laziness. Common condescend is rather average, but other than that, This shit is all Money, I think the production sounds great
Oh and that cover art! Very very nice

#51 A.N.Other

A.N.Other

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3035 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

You mean stuff like A Manual Dexterity and Calibration, which btw blows anything Omar released since Un Escorpion Perfumado out of the water?

#52 buddh4sack

buddh4sack

Goliath

• Members
  • 4398 posts
  • Joined 19-April 08
  • Interests:The Secret of The Widow

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:14 PM

You mean stuff like A Manual Dexterity and Calibration, which btw blows anything Omar released since Mantra Hiroshima out of the water?

This album is p good, tho

#53 A.N.Other

A.N.Other

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3035 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:28 PM

You mean stuff like A Manual Dexterity and Calibration, which btw blows anything Omar released since Mantra Hiroshima out of the water?

Yeah Mantra is great. Shame the CD is out of print already, hope RLP will reissue it in the future.

#54 buddh4sack

buddh4sack

Goliath

• Members
  • 4398 posts
  • Joined 19-April 08
  • Interests:The Secret of The Widow

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

Yeah Mantra is great. Shame the CD is out of print already, hope RLP will reissue it in the future.

I still remember buying that CD at the ORLG show at the Grog Shop in Cleveland '11;   it was something ridiculously cheap like $3 if you were buying the poster.

#55 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6868 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

Definitely a record for headphones.  I liked it even more last night.  But really, upon first listen, I liked this wayyyy more than Unicorn Skeleton Mask.  Which is backwards to just about everyone else.

I think USM has better music but this album has a better mix.  It's a bit easier to listen to.  There are quite a few songs on here that are basically just jams though, which don't do a whole lot for me.  But Salt Lines, Horror, Invisible Laziness, House in the Sand, and Quemamos Lo are all awesome.

#56 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7693 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09
  • Interests:Peace, love and bass.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:59 PM

Can't understand why so much hate now with the whispered vocals. Everyone should be used to them by now.

But that's like, if someone regularly walked up to you and punched you in the nuts, would you get used to it? If it's something you really don't like, you really don't like it! Like for real!

do you download/stream sackwhacks on the reg?

Maybe I do!

#57 Krystofer Rodriguez-Lopez

Krystofer Rodriguez-Lopez

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Joined 14-May 07

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:09 PM

More electronic wankery that sounds like it was created on a laptop in 1996. Please take away Omar's microphone and tell him to plug his instruments back in. And Sargent House should burn anything left that sounds like this. It's fine he wants to do something different, but 8 or so albums later its quite boring and un-listenable. and remember, opinions are like assholes... 

#58 Mongrel

Mongrel

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • Joined 16-January 10

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:53 PM

DISCLAIMER:  THIS IS ALL MY OPINION AND I DON'T CONSIDER IT TO BE FACT.

As far as the electro-wankery that is the Post-Sarinana Era (with the exception of Un Escorpion Perfumado, the last truly great album he made), this album is decent.  I've got to say that I like it more than Un Corazon de Nadie and certainly more than Woman Gives Birth to Bullshit! but overall, this doesn't break the 2012-2013 ceiling in the way that Unicorn Skeleton Mask almost did.  This release has some elements of many of the other albums of this release period, such as the atrocious Omar reverb breathy vocals that I absolutely cannot stand and Deantoni going apeshit in jumbled electronic atmospheres.  

Solo Extrano is at times subdued, and at times bombastic and aggressive.  I enjoy Machu Piccu, which I feel is what Woman Gives Birth To Tomato! would be like if it was actually listenable.  Some discernible melodies pierce the haze in tracks such as Invisible Laziness and Quemamos Lo, and the stuido version of Horror is nice to listen to.  

I know that the one track is basically Right of Way, a song which I never particularly cared for.  The whole album kind of sounds that way to me, (I know it isn't exactly), but after listening twice and re-listening to some of the better tracks (Quemamos Lo, Horror, Invisible Laziness) I can't shake the feeling that this is just another mediocre release from Omar, and sadly, I'm getting used to it.  

It's sad because I remember when he used to release shit that would blow me away and I'd dive into it full force and swim around in it and drink it in and it would define periods in my life.  These recent releases just don't do that for me.  I am getting very tired of them, and would like to hear The Somnambulists, because Casate Colmillo is an awesome song, and I would be very happy with an album that sounded like there was some meaningful song structures, instrumentation, and lifepulse.  To me, its like Deantoni is just the embalming fluid trying to give a spark to something that is dead.  

The electro-twaddle is getting really really stale.  Again, Solo Extrano isn't the worst of the bunch of New Age Omar, but it certainly isn't very good overall, especially compared to his earlier masterpieces.

Once again, all just my opinion.

#59 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7693 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09
  • Interests:Peace, love and bass.

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:12 AM

^Your opinion is my opinion as well. Well said!

#60 johnb820

johnb820

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1133 posts
  • Joined 03-May 06
  • Twitter

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:06 AM

Holy shit Quemamos Lo is ridiculous. Still can't help but feel the ideas are there like on all the recent albums but the aesthetic prevents it from getting people interested. Oh well, I can at least appreciate the electro-wanking even if I don't enjoy it. You know, a few nice melodies, maybe some song structure and this stuff could be immensely appealing, even without any guitar. But hey Omar does whatever the fuck he wants to.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ¿Sólo Extraño?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users