IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Announcing The Mars Volta Wiki!and we need your help!

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#21 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5629 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:22 PM

Sorry! The wiki sounds like a really good idea, nothing against that at all. I guess I just have a thing with people acting too ambitious/organized, can't really put it in words.

(No offense to anyone, I'm guess I'm just going more and more bitter.)

The thing is is that the Volta community/fan base is extremely enthusiastic, supportive, and out there (also opinionated as fuck, but that isn't the point here). If this was any other band I'd say "no way, it will never work", but I've seen some insanely dedicated stuff from this fan base and I imagine it could become something amazing.

#22 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6824 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:24 PM

Nice! I've already started working on fixing up the lyrics for the Frances songs; whoever did the lyric sheet for that album was absolutely awful.
At some point could we get those little templates down at the bottom of the page like the one at the bottom of TMV's real Wikipedia page? Except instead of being their entire discography it could be all the songs from one album or era, etc.

Absolutely...we just gotta figure out how to format. Admittingly that was the biggest weakness for Buddh4, Monkey, and I

I did the lyrics for all of the albums, and I formatted them exactly as they were in the booklets (which is how they should be). Please don't change them.

#23 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7544 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09
  • Interests:Peace, love and bass.

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:25 PM

Totally agreed, and I wish you luck!

(Also, I need to think my posts through a bit more, editing certain parts later doesn't really work. :biggrin:)

#24 Champiness

Champiness

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • Joined 30-April 09

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:26 PM

Nice! I've already started working on fixing up the lyrics for the Frances songs; whoever did the lyric sheet for that album was absolutely awful.
At some point could we get those little templates down at the bottom of the page like the one at the bottom of TMV's real Wikipedia page? Except instead of being their entire discography it could be all the songs from one album or era, etc.

Absolutely...we just gotta figure out how to format. Admittingly that was the biggest weakness for Buddh4, Monkey, and I

I did the lyrics for all of the albums, and I formatted them exactly as they were in the booklets (which is how they should be). Please don't change them.

I didn't mean the person who typed them was wrong! I meant that the person that did the lyrics in the booklet was way off the mark. Change it back if you so desire, but I didn't do mine based on wild guesses or anything of the like. Also I split them up into their different movements.

#25 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6824 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:48 PM

Ohhh haha, yeah, I completely agree. I just left all of the lyrics exactly as they were in the booklet for accuracy reasons. But I guess it's up to everybody how we want them to be.

#26 Lantros

Lantros

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Joined 30-September 09

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:00 PM

So... It's really no different than this place other than it's more organized and we can't talk to each other? Seems like a waste of time, so prove me wrong!

Sorry! The wiki sounds like a really good idea, nothing against that at all. I guess I just have a thing with people acting too ambitious/organized, can't really put it in words.

The result doesn´t matter. Its all about the process. :tongue: :wink: :laugh:

#27 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7544 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09
  • Interests:Peace, love and bass.

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:11 PM

To be clear, it wasn't organizing our TMV knowledge I referred to. It was the BANG**** "we should do this and this, divide into those units, i shall that" that I found amusing and Korean.
Once again, no offense to anyone.

#28 buddh4sack

buddh4sack

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4398 posts
  • Joined 19-April 08
  • Interests:The Secret of The Widow

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:28 PM

So... It's really no different than this place other than it's more organized and we can't talk to each other? Seems like a waste of time, so prove me wrong!

This place has just short of 3 million posts, which can make searching for info difficult, and the regulars often get tired of new people asking the same questions over and over again. I continually run across random old threads from 2005 that contain awesome reviews of and insights into the old shows, and I think it's a shame that knowledge is so deeply buried.

TMS is tightly focused and organized; information is filtered and posted by the staff. The coma is widely inclusive of all topics and contains a lot of disorganized information (though some of the subforums organizing shows/boots are very orderly). This would be somewhere in between; a place full of good info contributed by fans, without useless shit from people like bytorzero telling me how my favorite band sucks contaminating it.

#29 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5629 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:28 PM

To be clear, it wasn't organizing our TMV knowledge I referred to. It was the BANG**** "we should do this and this, divide into those units, i shall that" that I found amusing and Korean.

Yea, I want this to be more "oh cool I like Vato Negro, I want to edit that page"
not
"you are editor 97 you are in charge of spell checking everything in the Octahedron page"

#30 MSpatalatanj

MSpatalatanj

Streben nach dem Unendlichen

• Members
  • 8493 posts
  • Joined 09-March 09

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:33 PM

I completely got the joke so no worries :)

It's just that I know for a fact if we don't organize, things will go slowly and everything will get messed up.

#31 Jehu

Jehu

I like to drive

• Members
  • 6105 posts
  • Joined 03-November 08
  • Interests:Mostly driving
  • Twitter

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:44 PM

I lol'd. I definitely know where you're coming from, I've lost count of how many times I've seen "Comatorium Super-Group" or similar threads go on for a bit and then die away. But this seems pretty doable, if only a handful of members dedicate a few hours a week to this it can grow pretty fast.

#32 MSpatalatanj

MSpatalatanj

• Members
  • 8493 posts
  • Joined 09-March 09

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:51 PM

It turns out that Omar is more generous with Latin interviewers. Check this out:

FR: The first shoot from the De-Loused In The Comatorium, the video for Inertiatic, was recently aired on MTV and Fused TV. Do you have plans on shooting and releasing another video?

TMV: At the moment our label (Universal) suggests that we should make a video for “Televators” because it’s smoother and will hit big on radios , but we are more into making a video for “Drunkship of Lanterns”, which is a better representative of us as a band. If we actually make that, it will be directed by Alejandro Jodorowsky, from which we would love if he could make a whole movie about the whole album, but he is an artist and he is always busy, which means that there’s nothing sure for now.

#33 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5629 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:08 AM

http://www.themarble.......alez_(2003)

thanks for the translation.

This is the kind of info we are hoping to keep saved. Good interview

#34 MSpatalatanj

MSpatalatanj

• Members
  • 8493 posts
  • Joined 09-March 09

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:11 AM

I wanna thank Neil, who actually found it and passed it along. job well done.

#35 TheFleshofMidnight

TheFleshofMidnight

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1489 posts
  • Joined 17-November 09

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:12 AM

The Mars Volta is the fucking shit. This combination of godliness, Megan Fox Poetry, and cymbal chucking can only be compared to the mighty Norse god's themselves.

lold so hard at this

#36 MSpatalatanj

MSpatalatanj

• Members
  • 8493 posts
  • Joined 09-March 09

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:18 AM

Interviews in English:

http://www.jambase.c...IEW-WITH-CEDRIC
http://www.thenitmus...marsvolta1.html (2003)
http://www.thevine.c...-interview.aspx
http://www.truthexpl...views.php?id=33
http://www.ilikemusi...iew_2009-7301/3

#37 ShreddingBullets

ShreddingBullets

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 225 posts
  • Joined 23-December 10

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:49 AM

This is a fantastic idea. I'll definitely get to adding to some articles.

#38 Joshipalooza

Joshipalooza

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Joined 09-February 10
  • Twitter

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:33 AM

Me, Dante, TDs, Joshua and Caba can work on the articles. Anyone else who speaks Spanish - sign up here- so we can form the units.

Should I begin searching for old articles?

I'm definitely interested in this, anything you want to translate, i'm here to help :D

#39 Kazza3

Kazza3

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2174 posts
  • Joined 28-December 09

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:50 AM

FANTASTIC! I've been looking forward to something like this for a long time (I used to use MuseWiki, which has.. a sense of humour), and willl surely contribute when I'm less busy.

#40 Joshipalooza

Joshipalooza

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Joined 09-February 10
  • Twitter

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:53 AM

FO REALZ

Lars Stalfors
Dude with a laptop