IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Juan on the Dean Del Ray Podcast

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 Jehu

Jehu

I like to drive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6105 posts
  • Joined 03-November 08
  • Interests:Mostly driving
  • Twitter

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:03 PM

I don't mind him, I like it when the interviewer and interviewee are friends and it's more of just the two of them having a real conversation, though I do agree that Dean Delray sometimes can get a bit obnoxious. Good interview overall though, thanks for posting. 

#22 buddh4sack

buddh4sack

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4398 posts
  • Joined 19-April 08
  • Interests:The Secret of The Widow

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:43 PM

Thought it was interesting to hear Juan thinks Jeremy's death was a suicide.

#23 KENVOLTA

KENVOLTA

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • Joined 14-September 10
  • Interests:Being a bitch
    Chicks assholes
    Daft Punk
    Punching my dick until I can't feel my balls
    Cute feet
    Other things

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:31 PM

Thought it was interesting to hear Juan thinks Jeremy's death was a suicide.

He should have stayed in NYC :(

Fuck after all this post TMV info has come out is anyone getting the impression that Omar was incredibly stubborn and pretty much couldn't be reached for pretty much the whole TMV period. I know it was his band but damn you can at least listen to people. Sounds like there was a lot more negative shit going on in the band than a lot of people would like to let on (including us as fans lol)

#24 KENVOLTA

KENVOLTA

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • Joined 14-September 10
    Chicks assholes
    Daft Punk
    Cute feet
    Other things

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:32 PM

Good interview over all

#25 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4514 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:39 PM

Very great interview. Same guy that interviewed Cedric recently.

Juan talks about joining TMV, Jeremy's death, and finally sheds light on why Blake Fleming didn't stick (calls him a racist asshole). Too lazy to transcribe so listen yourself! He says Blake brought his wife on tour and she kept trying to have 3-somes. He also says he hasn't talked to Omar since the split. All Volta talk starts after 40:00.

https://itunes.apple...alk/id546210508

Now, now. Juan never says "Blake Fleming is a racist asshole" or even "racist asshole." He says he's an asshole, and then later relates how Blake called one of the crew members his "spic buddy" or something. Honestly, I doubt that Blake Fleming is legitimately racist, I mean, sure, he probably made a joke in poor taste, but even Omar has ironically used the phrase "spic rig" in an interview. Right, I know, he's Latino, so that makes it ok or whatever, but still. 

In conclusion, there was a lot of shit-talking in this interview, and the interviewer was pretty obnoxious with his dumb opinions and retarded comments, like calling Thomas Pridgen a "b-guy" when Thomas Pridgen probably has more musicality in his pinky toe than that guy will ever have. Nonetheless, some interesting info on what went on on the inside during TMV. If Rolling Stone had any balls, they would spend like two days with both Cedric and Omar and do a Rolling Stone Interview and set the record straight. At this point, I wonder if that's ever gonna happen, or if this band is just gonna fade away and be one of those lost gems that people discover later.

#26 KENVOLTA

KENVOLTA

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • Joined 14-September 10
    Chicks assholes
    Daft Punk
    Cute feet
    Other things

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:40 AM

Juan talks about joining TMV, Jeremy's death, and finally sheds light on why Blake Fleming didn't stick (calls him a racist asshole). Too lazy to transcribe so listen yourself! He says Blake brought his wife on tour and she kept trying to have 3-somes. He also says he hasn't talked to Omar since the split. All Volta talk starts after 40:00.

If Rolling Stone had any balls, they would spend like two days with both Cedric and Omar and do a Rolling Stone Interview and set the record straight. At this point, I wonder if that's ever gonna happen, or if this band is just gonna fade away and be one of those lost gems that people discover later.

Considering Rolling Stone seemingly lost its testicles around 1978 - 80 give or take it will defiantly be the later. The unfortunate thing is when Rolling Stone would take a risk and cover smaller bands that would often cause a big break for the band.

#27 Jehu

Jehu

I like to drive

• Members
  • 6105 posts
  • Joined 03-November 08
  • Interests:Mostly driving
  • Twitter

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:59 AM

Fuck Rolling Stone, Cedric and Omar should hijack someone's podcast and just hash it out on air for like 2 hours. They could get real and yell at each other and shit man I'd pay to hear that. 

#28 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5567 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:01 AM

Now, now. Juan never says "Blake Fleming is a racist asshole" or even "racist asshole." He says he's an asshole, and then later relates how Blake called one of the crew members his "spic buddy" or something. Honestly, I doubt that Blake Fleming is legitimately racist, I mean, sure, he probably made a joke in poor taste, but even Omar has ironically used the phrase "spic rig" in an interview. Right, I know, he's Latino, so that makes it ok or whatever, but still. 

In conclusion, there was a lot of shit-talking in this interview, and the interviewer was pretty obnoxious with his dumb opinions and retarded comments, like calling Thomas Pridgen a "b-guy" when Thomas Pridgen probably has more musicality in his pinky toe than that guy will ever have. Nonetheless, some interesting info on what went on on the inside during TMV. If Rolling Stone had any balls, they would spend like two days with both Cedric and Omar and do a Rolling Stone Interview and set the record straight. At this point, I wonder if that's ever gonna happen, or if this band is just gonna fade away and be one of those lost gems that people discover later.

Yea, but there is a huge difference between Omar using the term and Blake who is white.  I think Juan was stating that Blake was racially insensitive or even culturally unaware.  Just because someone is "ultra liberal" means nothing.  Don't forget when Cryptomnesia came out Omar said essentially it was inspired by Blake "a nasty drummer we had in the band for a minute".  In the end it is about how Juan feels about those comments and how they hurt him, not the independent "race police".

Also Delray wasn't saying Pridgen was a "b-guy" because of his talent, but because of his garbage attitude.  Which has been mentioned more than once.

#29 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5567 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:19 AM

Fuck Rolling Stone, Cedric and Omar should hijack someone's podcast and just hash it out on air for like 2 hours. They could get real and yell at each other and shit man I'd pay to hear that. 

RIff 'N Ralk is always open to the Cedric and Omar public Jerry Springer esque bromance session.

Also

did anyone make the connection that Juan inadvertently caused Bosnian Rainbows?

#30 Pongo

Pongo

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1095 posts
  • Joined 09-September 04

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:38 AM

Christ, imagine having that on your conscience.

#31 Kazza3

Kazza3

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2174 posts
  • Joined 28-December 09

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:56 AM

I haven't actually gotten up to the Volta bit yet, but I recommend listening to the whole thing, there are some pretty hilarious and cool stories, always enjoy hearing from Juan. And the guy calls him John because that's the name Juan was known by in the Racer X and earlier days, when Delray knew him.

#32 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • 8934 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11
  • Interests:Cross dressing
    gang bangin

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:59 AM

Keeps calling him John Alderete haha, dumbass.*

He explains this. When the interviewer first met Juan, Juan was known as John. It just kind of stuck, these two are old friends, which is why for a lot of time they're referring to people by first names only and it doesnt make any sense.

I think I might listen to Cedric's now. Agree about the blurting though.

#33 Kazza3

Kazza3

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2174 posts
  • Joined 28-December 09

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:03 AM

I don't really even think about the blurting, cause it's not really an interview, it's a conversation between mates.

#34 evagetsuga

evagetsuga

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Joined 30-April 13

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:38 AM

Juan was John in Racer X. Cool interview. 

#35 KENVOLTA

KENVOLTA

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • Joined 14-September 10
    Chicks assholes
    Daft Punk
    Cute feet
    Other things

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:54 AM

I'd pay mad cash for that as well.

#36 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7508 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09
  • Interests:Peace, love and bass.

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:30 AM

Christ, imagine having that on your conscience.

How? :o

#37 Kazza3

Kazza3

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2174 posts
  • Joined 28-December 09

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:42 AM

If I weren't a BR fan (which I am), I would think the benefits of Omar and D having worked together still would outweigh the negative of BR. I thoroughly imagine they would've broken up regardless, given that their personalities appear to be at the core of it.

#38 flipzoso

flipzoso

ZK

• Party Members
  • 7090 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:52 AM

Add another member who cites Northsix '03 as the best show they every played. Damn that holy grail.

#39 iamisandisnt

iamisandisnt

The joke is INSIDE the joke!

• Coma Donor
  • 13056 posts
  • Joined 09-February 06

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:52 AM

seems to me the problem was a lack of open communication the whole time

just listen to the way Juan describes the touring buses. But I guess to these paid musicians that's just the life of the road - the "star" hires the musicians, and they get their own buses, and nobody talks to the bass player except for fucking Jeremy (with all due respect) and some crew guy apparently

the whole thing was shrouded in secrecy and intentions and they did something amazing but there are better ways.

#40 KENVOLTA

KENVOLTA

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • Joined 14-September 10
    Chicks assholes
    Daft Punk
    Cute feet
    Other things

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:53 AM

Add another member who cites Northsix '03 as the best show they every played. Damn that holy grail.

Is there a bootleg for this show?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users