IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

ToolBegins Tracking June/July

• Please log in to reply
3493 replies to this topic

#3441 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6028 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 21 February 2020 - 11:32 AM

Apparently MJK missed a few cues in 7empest, and they fucked up the end of 46&2. Full bootleg here.

#3442 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 6028 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14

Posted 21 February 2020 - 02:29 PM

pretty decent first performance if you ask me. that rocked. and they've put the patient back in the setlist, this makes indrossi a happy panda.

#3443 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 8246 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Interests:Writing, Music, Film.
  • Facebook

Posted 24 February 2020 - 04:17 AM

Sick seems like a perfect bootleg from the show notes. I'll get that and thanks! 

#3444 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 6028 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14

Posted 24 February 2020 - 12:14 PM

No worries – highly recommend this site: https://tooldrivepro.../Recordings/

If you want some heads up on some truly A* bootlegs, let me know.

#3445 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 8246 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Facebook

Posted 25 February 2020 - 03:35 AM

Will do... I'm mostly excited to hear 7empest live... but in the 13 year span, haven't they had like the most rigid set list or just largely unchanged? 

#3446 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 6028 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14

Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:21 AM

Since Lateralus came out, they haven't really modified setlists. Same with A Perfect Circle – I saw them five times in six days and they played one song which was different. That said, I've been luclky wiht Tool and they do occassionally pull it out of the bag: Brixton in 2002 being a prime example, I was all ready for them to launch into the standard Lateralus setlist and then they open with a five minute drum solo into Ticks and Leeches (first ever performance), going on to play Four Degrees and Jimmy for the first time in years.

I'm glad they're varying the setlist (and playing The Patient!) but it's not enough IMHO. Start with 7empest. Open the encore with Fear Inoculum. Drop Invincible and replace with Descending. Drop Parabola. Bring back Lateralus, Rosetta Stoned and Third Eye. Not even fussed if they don't play more than a handful of (admittedly extended) songs. Anyway I'm not looking forward to how much the eventual UK tour is going to cost.

#3447 SUB

SUB

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1174 posts
  • Joined 21-July 04

Posted 25 February 2020 - 06:03 PM

I've always been pretty disappointed with Tool and APC's lack of variety in setlists.  I think in the 3 years proceeding the release of 10K Days, I saw them 3 times and maybe heard 1 or 2 different songs.  They do seem to be mixing it up a tad more this time around, but that isn't saying much.

#3448 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 6028 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14

Posted 25 February 2020 - 06:09 PM

It's weird, the Aenima tours were so different. Maynard, usually in some wacky character, right down front. Varied setlists, and a few covers thrown in too.. No idea what changed - video screens perhaps? I've heard that Maynard picks the setlists though.

#3449 Petra

Petra

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Joined 16-February 09

Posted 26 February 2020 - 03:19 PM

I'm considering buying tickets this friday for when they come here. Anyone know if Spotify offers presale for Tool shows the day before?

#3450 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 8246 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Facebook

Posted 26 February 2020 - 08:20 PM

This is why I don’t understand the superfans who document every single live show.... if their performances are all basically variable audio quality of the same show. Would only consider a boot for a rare track.

#3451 Andrewf

Andrewf

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4599 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 26 February 2020 - 09:39 PM

Improvisations

#3452 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 6028 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14

Posted 26 February 2020 - 09:51 PM

This is why I don’t understand the superfans who document every single live show.... if their performances are all basically variable audio quality of the same show. Would only consider a boot for a rare track.

This is sadly me. I don't even listen to them anymore. Not this tour anyway. It started for me during Lateralus tour and me running some trading bootleg ring on DC++ with some awesome other people, it's ended up with me buying a 2TB HD just for Tool boots I don't even care about.

#3453 Palo Alto

Palo Alto

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Joined 24-November 07

Posted 28 February 2020 - 07:17 PM

Would love to hear your bootleg reccies though. 

#3454 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 6028 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14

Posted 28 February 2020 - 07:27 PM

There are some PHENOMENAL performances from the Aenima tour, with Maynard being utterly hilarious and the band so ridiculously tight. Then Lateralus, and the mini tour with King Crimson where Fripp and Jones collaborated on soundscapes in the interludes and into Disposition/Reflection. Then the last leg of the Lateralus tour where they got all prog in the set design and religious in the speeches. Some beautiful video from that era. I lost touch after that really, seeing them on the 10k tour wasn't all that for me at the time, although some of the sets where they opened with Rosetta Stoned seem great. They never managed to play Wings/10k live very well – not sure it translated as well as it did when they played it as a short jam before Lateralus in 2002. I have listened to a few of the 2019/20 bootlegs, and am generally bored by the setlist and underwhelmed by the performances. I'm hoping that they get into their groove by the time they make it to the UK for an extortionately priced show. I'll send you some quality bootlegs if you want.

#3455 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 6028 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14

Posted 28 February 2020 - 07:33 PM

Improvisations

Used to happen. They were writing short instrumental jams on the Lateralus tour. Generally speaking, they don't improvise or jam at all now. Stinkfist has a standard extension they've been playing since 1998 or so, Schism an extended middle played since 2001, Vicarious has a longer (and standard) intro now, and oh Danny Carey might have a drum solo in the intermission but fuck off if you're wanking over that. Name me a gig since the Fripp collaborations in Berkeley, or the drum collaborations on Lateralus (2005/6) where they've jammed or improvised.

#3456 Palo Alto

Palo Alto

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Joined 24-November 07

Posted 29 February 2020 - 01:27 PM

There are some PHENOMENAL performances from the Aenima tour, with Maynard being utterly hilarious and the band so ridiculously tight. Then Lateralus, and the mini tour with King Crimson where Fripp and Jones collaborated on soundscapes in the interludes and into Disposition/Reflection. Then the last leg of the Lateralus tour where they got all prog in the set design and religious in the speeches. Some beautiful video from that era. I lost touch after that really, seeing them on the 10k tour wasn't all that for me at the time, although some of the sets where they opened with Rosetta Stoned seem great. They never managed to play Wings/10k live very well – not sure it translated as well as it did when they played it as a short jam before Lateralus in 2002. I have listened to a few of the 2019/20 bootlegs, and am generally bored by the setlist and underwhelmed by the performances. I'm hoping that they get into their groove by the time they make it to the UK for an extortionately priced show. I'll send you some quality bootlegs if you want.

Yeah do, cheers. Remember I saw them in Leuven in Belgium in 2006 with Mastodon supporting when I was an erasmus student. Good times. I feel old.

#3457 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 10190 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 01 March 2020 - 03:10 PM

Cuz you probably are <3

Aren't we all

#3458 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 6028 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:29 PM

Put Fear Inoculum on, passed out on pharma drugs as Pneuma came on (I think?), woke up as the band jammed out that final bit of 7empest. Have I listened to the album or haven't I?

#3459 Petra

Petra

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Joined 16-February 09

Posted 04 March 2020 - 08:06 PM

Time for rehab, issi.

#3460 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 6028 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14

Posted 04 March 2020 - 08:22 PM

Was in hospital four days not a week ago in absolute agony. If I'm going to be prescribed shit, and advised to rest, then this is rehab and I might as well put some fucking prog rock on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users