IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

KarnivoolAustralian Alternative Metal

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 MeccaRoy

MeccaRoy

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1667 posts
  • Joined 05-February 07

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:37 AM

I really reccommend seeing them man. But if you cant spare the cash thats another deal. I dont know if they will go back i guess if they recieve a good reception over there they would return.

#22 Superunknown

Superunknown

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1372 posts
  • Joined 12-February 06

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:13 AM

Dude, if you can piss away the 80 bucks then do it, but if you're strapped for cash don't worry about it, all Karnivool shows I've been to have been >15AUD

#23 theSunisChicken

theSunisChicken

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2851 posts
  • Joined 12-March 05
  • Interests:Skateboarding and Music and Playing Music

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:17 AM

I actually like parts of that Gotye cover, but yeah they just don't appeal to me...sorry

#24 Patbox

Patbox

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts
  • Joined 21-December 06

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:09 PM

I actually like parts of that Gotye cover, but yeah they just don't appeal to me...sorry

I heard that once on triple j, i remember it being good, is it on an album of some sort? Wasnt there a cd of all gotye tracks covered by other artists? If so, I need it

#25 MeccaRoy

MeccaRoy

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1667 posts
  • Joined 05-February 07

Posted 21 September 2007 - 03:48 AM

Correcto^^^^ i think it's called mixing blood.....

#26 Superunknown

Superunknown

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1372 posts
  • Joined 12-February 06

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:11 AM

Mixed Blood, it's a remix CD. It's alright.

#27 SoundscapeMN

SoundscapeMN

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Joined 22-June 07

Posted 04 October 2007 - 03:32 PM

New dates.

St.Paul, MN on 11/14..no Madison trip is required for me now!

Oct 26 2007 8:00P
Revolution, Ft. Lauderdale, FL Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Oct 27 2007 8:00P
Guavaween, Tampa, FL Tampa, Florida
Oct 28 2007 8:00P
Floyds Music Store Tallahasssee Florida Tallahassee, Florida
Oct 30 2007 8:00P
House of Blues, Myrtle Beach, SC Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Oct 31 2007 8:00P
Hooligans, Jacksonville, NC Jacksonville, North Carolina
Nov 1 2007 8:00P
Monkey Bar Huntington West Virginia Huntington, West Virginia
Nov 2 2007 8:00P
Recher Theatre, Baltimore, MD Baltimore, Maryland
Nov 3 2007 8:00P
The House Sports Bar and Grill, Cambridge, MD Cambridge, Maryland
Nov 4 2007 8:00P
Crocodile Rock Allentown Pennsylvania Allentown, Pennsylvania
Nov 6 2007 8:00P
The Wedge Youngstown Ohio Youngstown, Ohio
Nov 7 2007 8:00P
Machine Shop, Flint, MI Flint, Michigan
Nov 8 2007 8:00P
Orbit Room Grand Rapids Michigan Grand Rapids, Michigan
Nov 9 2007 8:00P
Barrymore / Orpheum, Madison, WI Madison, Wisconsin
Nov 10 2007 8:00P
The Pearl Room Mokena Illinois Mokena, Illinois
Nov 14 2007 8:00P
The Rock Minneapolis Minnesota Minneapolis, Minnesota
Nov 15 2007 8:00P
Pierres Indiana Ft Wayne Ft Wayne, Indiana
Nov 17 2007 8:00P
Ricochet Night Club, Meyers, FL Ft Meyers, Florida
Nov 21 2007 8:00P
Jaxx Springfield Virginia Springfield, Virginia
Nov 23 2007 8:00P
Webster Theatre Hartford Connecticut Hartford, Connecticut
Nov 24 2007 8:00P
Marks Manchester New Hampshire Manchester, New Hampshire
Nov 30 2007 8:00P
KCs Fredricksburgh Virginia Fredricksburgh, Virginia
Dec 1 2007 8:00P
Buzz Bake Sale, West Palm Beach, FL West Palm Beach, Florida
Dec 6 2007 8:00P
Machine Shop Flint Michigan Flint, Michigan
Dec 8 2007 8:00P
Harpos Detroit Michigan Detroit, Michigan
Dec 11 2007 8:00P
Varsity Theatre Baton Rouge Louisiana Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Dec 15 2007 8:00P
Mojo Room Port St. Lucie Florida Port St. Lucie, Florida

#28 SoundscapeMN

SoundscapeMN

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Joined 22-June 07

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:54 AM

they posted a blog the other day on myspace about their next album. The goal/time table appears that it should be finished by the end of the year and released early in 2009.

Xpress Interview - (Mark talks about the NEW ALBUM)

From Xpress Issue 1105: (www.xpressmag.com.au)

Mike Wafer talks to Mark Hosking, guitarist of Karnivool about everything related to Album 2.

An album which, if you've been keeping tabs, is gonna be huge. One of the biggest bands in the country, let alone independent bands, Karnivool's rise to the top has been nothing short of phenomenal. So much so that expectations for the follow-up to Themata run very high… inside and outside the band.
"With Themata we didn't really trim anything… we had two or three works that didn't make it onto Themata 'cause we didn't think we had time to finish them. Anything that got to about 50 per cent of a song got finished and ended up on the album, which is a pretty destructive way to write songs – and if you were a record company you'd be scratching your heads and looking worried. We couldn't handle that… having someone on our backs going 'what the fuck are you guys doing?', which is great 'cause we don't have a record company," Hoss begins with a laugh.
"That does mean we put ourselves under pressure, because we don't have a backup plan, but thankfully it's just a style of songwriting that seems to work for us, always has, and hopefully always will until we get bored of music… which is hopefully a few years down the track (laughs)."
It's reassuring to hear that Karnivool cull as they go, rather than accumulating 20 songs for an album then trim that number back to 12 or 10, as it shows the band stop a 'so so' idea in its tracks before it progresses into a 'so so' song.
"At the same we do envy bands that can work like that," adds Hoss. "Bands that can go 'I'm not feeling this song… but let's just finish it anyway'. If we get to a point in a song where we're not feeling it we're like 'what's the point?'."
Which seems like the only logical way to do it. If something's sucking half way through, chances are it's going to fully suck when it's finished. So even though Karnivool's quality control method may see them with fewer choices for an album, all it really does is see them with fewer sub-par songs to scratch off the list. Everything they have, they know is up to standard. Whether or not this takes longer than to persevere with every idea they have, you'd really have to expect the results (and the process) of abandoning shit ideas along the way would be far superior.
Now that the songwriting process is almost complete for the next album, and the band is happy with the list of songs thus far, it's time to start thinking about the 'who, what, where, when and how' of presenting these songs to the band's eager fans.
Hoss explains that Karnivool fans don't have too much longer to wait, as the recording wheels are definitely in motion. "We've had a few group meetings in the last couple of weeks… just booking in some times and places. There's definitely an outline in place. We can actually put pen to paper and make it a factual thing, which is good for us because we work well to deadlines. We're going on this two week run, then back to do some pre-production, then in about two months we'll start the album and push right through 'til the end of the year. We'll see how things are rolling, but at this stage we're looking at releasing at the start of next year," he reveals.
"We've thought long and hard about who to get to record the album, and although there are still a few on the cards, at this stage – and after long discussions with him about how different this album is going to be, and how challenging it will be for him and for us – we're looking at getting Forrester Savell, who did Themata, back as head engineer. So hopefully we can capture the same kind of magic we did last time," he says.
"To start with, I think we didn't want to go down that road again, because it was scary to try and do the same thing twice as far as an engineer goes… but he's such a great bloke and good friend, and knowing how well he works with us from experience, that it became scarier to think about someone else. After hearing the Cog story, and how bands have come back after big shit-fights with their producers that wasted months and months, it just became too scary in the end."
And, for those of you unfamiliar with Forrester's work, it's highly unforeseeable that the challenge of Karnivool's new musical ambitions will do anything other than bring out the best in him.
An ex-Perth lad that cut his teeth in the studio while Karnivool's career was also just beginning, Savell is as big a part of the rise of Perth's current heavy music scene as many of the bands themselves. For Karnivool to refer back to him says a lot about his skills as an engineer, for sure, but it says a hell of a lot more about their sense of knowing where they have come from and, more importantly, where they plan to go. As their career and skills have inflated, so too have Savell's, so seeing them match up again is exciting to say the least.
Until everything is set in stone, however, Karnivool's concentration will remain on the songs they've created for this next album. Going off Hoss' excitement and pensiveness alone, it's very easy to see that whatever the band have come up with is something not even they can predict the outcome of… they just know they're going to give their fans everything they've got.

#29 theSunisChicken

theSunisChicken

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2851 posts
  • Joined 12-March 05
  • Interests:Skateboarding and Music and Playing Music

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:56 AM

lol

#30 SoundscapeMN

SoundscapeMN

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Joined 22-June 07

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:10 PM

new album "Sound Awake" is supposed to come out in late May. The new single "Set Fir to the Hive" is up on their myspace and it smokes.

http://myspace.com/karnivool

#31 betweenthelines

betweenthelines

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2709 posts
  • Joined 02-November 06

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:57 AM

new album "Sound Awake" is supposed to come out in late May. The new single "Set Fir to the Hive" is up on their myspace and it smokes.

http://myspace.com/karnivool

100% agree :biggrin:

#32 BrettG83

BrettG83

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Joined 17-May 05

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:53 AM

Im pumped for this album. Only listened to the new single once or twice dont want to spoil it.

#33 SoundscapeMN

SoundscapeMN

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Joined 22-June 07

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:17 PM

new album is being released on June 5th.

"Set Fire to the Hive" Video

#34 SoundscapeMN

SoundscapeMN

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Joined 22-June 07

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:42 AM

http://www.jbhifionl.../Product/431262

pre-order from JB Hifi

Posted Image

Track List:

1. Simple Boy
2. Goliath
3. New Day
4. Set Fire To the Hive
5. Umbra
6. All I Know
7. The Medicine Wears Off
8. The Caudal Lure
9. Illumine
10. Deadman
11. Change

For international orders allow 2-4 weeks for air mail delivery (on rare occasions, international delivery can take up to 6 weeks).

a US Release?..hopefully more about that will come soon. They are on Sony now I guess which may help.

#35 Mr_Wolf82

Mr_Wolf82

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Joined 16-April 09

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:11 AM

listened to Karnivool for a little while... not really my type of thing.. will check out the new album though.
In case you dont know. "Birds of Tokyo" is the karnivool singer's other band that is constantly praised by triple j..
I much prefer Cog than either band, Karnivool and BoT are a liitle too teeny and whiny...but I'll give them another go

#36 SoundscapeMN

SoundscapeMN

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Joined 22-June 07

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:32 AM

that's funny because Cog to me sounds like 1 of the most samey-sounding bands of the last decade. I might like them if they got rid of their singer and hired a producer to help them with their songwriting.

#37 SoundscapeMN

SoundscapeMN

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Joined 22-June 07

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:47 PM

no-the-new-album-didn't-leak.

but a new song "All I Know" can be heard at about 12:30 in
http://www.abc.net.a...indows/2005.asx

this station is going to be featuring the whole album soon.

#38 SoundscapeMN

SoundscapeMN

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Joined 22-June 07

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:42 PM

the whole new album is up on their myspace now.

#39 Medullaman

Medullaman

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 04-January 09

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:41 PM

and it has now leaked in good quality!

#40 BrettG83

BrettG83

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Joined 17-May 05

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:06 PM

It came out today, I have only given it one listen, will have to give it a few proper spins before I make a decision on it but I must say its not as hooky, and there is layers upon layers of music. Thinking it may take a while to fully get into.

Thoughts guys?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users