IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Omar interview in NRGM (in Finnish)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Onion-Ringu

Onion-Ringu

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Joined 07-July 08

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:20 AM

http://www.nrgm.fi/a...odriguez-lopez/

Here's the Google translation:

Omar Rodríguez-López is best known as manic progressive rock band The Mars Volta, and the return of gigs to do post-hardcore-pump At the Drive-In's guitarist. Nuorgam reached the man from Germany and the interview subjects poukkoilivat than a man's song structure. So we discussed, among other things, his childhood, Puerto Rican cultural background, friendship with John Frusciante, a producer of mistakes, punk and the death of a world without religion.

What is the first pop song, which you remember pitäneesi?

"I listened to in my youth salsa. Flagin Black White Minority was the first English-language song that I remember pitäneeni. It was the same kind of passion as salsassa. In addition, I liked The Beatles, which my father played. "

What prompted you to select a musical career?

"It just happened, I never thought of you as a career. Puerto Rican culture all play and so was our family. My father had a band, and as the boys take inspiration from their fathers, so I was supposed to start a band. "

You are a multi-instrumentalist, write songs, produce, are acting and you control films. Which of these professions you enjoy most at the moment and why?

"To me that's all just self-expression. I do not separate them from each other. Although part of the pariakin different languages, they are not enough to express themselves. I use a variety of tools for this, such as love, cooking, music, and so on. "

"Puerto Rican culture encourages self-expression and the administration. Father, for example, made copies for my mother and me. The reason for this does not need anything special as a birthday. Then, when my father got his first video camera, he began to express themselves in it. "

Which song are you listening to the most in your life? What makes it special?

"Difficult question. I guess Ray Barretto y Vive Vacilaa. This song is about how there is always hope, and bad things can get over the humor. "

If Omar Alfredo Rodríguez-López had ice cream, ice cream what would it be?

"I would be a mixture of ice-cream kiosk-day leftovers that nobody wanted."

What bands or artists you think are undervalued, overvalued what?

"Undervalued are all the people who play good music. Today, do not take any chances anymore, whether it's music, movies or even theater. Music at the gala, all candidates have the same homogeneous stuff that is made in one key and tempo. As such, the generic form of music has its place. However, we need all the colors of the rainbow, not just one. Now, all a little bit different from the music marginalized. "

Which song sing karaoke?

"Orchestra Harlow and Ismael Merandan by Abran Paso."

You've produced a lot of music. Are you a producer or a dictator, or one of the band members?

"I used to be a dictator, who dictated very carefully how things were done, and I decided to even small details. The producer, however, should be co-operative and the voice of reason. I'm learning about this yet. "

What is the most annoying music genre, you have encountered?

"That's the whole story of the 1990s ... what was it ... nu metal and Limp Bizkit. It was hailed as places of degradation, hatred and the exploitation of women. Music should glorify the thinking, not hate. "

In what way you're wasting your time, preferably?

"Number one is wandering in the wild, definitely number two movies."

What's it like working with John Frusciante? One might imagine that he has a pretty big ego and hard to say no.

"One would think that John is like a lot of people reached is a big ego, but he is one of the childlike people that I know. Sure, he is also a friend of mine and that's why with John is easy to work with. As artists work, doing things with their friends. Hengaamme a lot together, we watch movies, we make food, and at some point we may just pick up such as synth, and things begin to happen. We do not, however, advance planning on doing music together. "

What do you hope dj from when you are very, very drunk?

"Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush's Do not Give Upin or Kate Bush's Hounds of Love."

Three things that inspire you at the moment?

"Most of all I am inspired by my family, which also count my friends. Second is the nature and the third man's will. Wish, a person can accomplish a lot, for better or worse. It's great when you see people rise against the tyrants. "

Whose voice your skin get goose bumps?

"Oum Kalthoum, Celia Cruz, Kate Bush, and Billie Holiday."

The courtesy that you would like to hear your music?

"My favorites are the ones where people are saying that inspire them to start playing or songwriting award. Or when they did not like my music and it inspired to make music. It is like a natural life cycle. Man dies and decomposes, worms eat the body, the bird eats the worm, and so on. It inspires. "

What do you think progressivisesta music genre?

"Progressive rock? I do not know. Progressive is such a nice word, let's go forward. I'm not a purist. I'm not interested in genres, to be shades. The most interesting things that occur when things are mixed together. Tasted the best foods are those which are connected to some unexpected ingredients. Queen mixed with rock and classical music combined the PIL progeen punk. PIL is far more interesting than the Sex Pistols. I like the mongrels of the pairs. World problems usually start when you have to be clean it or clean it, such as a pure race, pure doctrine, and so on. I dream of a world without religion. "

When the policy was to speech, so if Mitt Romney campaign would like to use the song, Would you do it?

"Of course not. Mittillä and his awful porukallaan have all kinds of ideas, such as that rape does not get pregnant, or that the rich do not have to pay taxes. People of his ilk is the good thing that you can find your own values ​​for their help. You can see that I am not produce and produce things against. "

What artists in the most likely recommend a new acquaintance?

"I would recommend Kimbraa, which is from New Zealand."

Cedric Bixler Zavala said the latest The Mars Volta on the theme of the album, that 'we are all artists. " What he meant by it and how should I react to this information?

"Oh, has said that ... (confusion) ... in my opinion this is in itself ... I agree. You need to engage passionate about something-how to develop it and eventually things you do is art. Whether you are a cook, skillfully handling the football or playing tennis. Instead, what the hell is a high art? I can see some of the high art of disgust. Who supposedly know what is crap and what is not? "

You've been several times in Finland. What experiences do you have here?

"I've never spare time, when I visit Scandinavia. Nature is incredible, and the festival area next to the lake may be. "

Would it be at all possible that At the Drive-In would be a gig in Finland?

"We are now thrown some gigs with the band. After all, it is always possible, but we have no such plans at the moment. "

What do you think about the state of punk rock today?

"Is there now a nice punk? It may not be any bands that I see at festivals, and which they claim to punk bands. Today is a punk hair style and the way to dress. It's the same shit repeated over and over again. Punkin supposed to mean change. I think it is a modern punk that made themselves at home a laptop without a pop record company, using simple rumpubiittejä. Punk is an attitude. It is expressed in existing tools themselves. "

Omar Rodriguez Lopez Group (USA) and the Black Motor Tavastia Club on Wednesday, 12 September 2012.

#2 pehjott

pehjott

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • Joined 24-March 05

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:39 AM

Kimbra

#3 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6855 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:22 PM

Decent interview. I'm surprised there was nothing about Bosnian Rainbows.

#4 Seattleite

Seattleite

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2797 posts
  • Joined 07-September 07

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:23 PM

Predicting a Kimbra collab soon :)

#5 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:57 PM

Terrible translation.

#6 Petra

Petra

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Joined 16-February 09

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:44 AM

Terrible translation.

I like the translation. It's probably closer to how the interviewer and the country understood it. Thanks for the post.

#7 Onion-Ringu

Onion-Ringu

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Joined 07-July 08

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:59 AM

Terrible translation.

I like the translation. It's probably closer to how the interviewer and the country understood it. Thanks for the post.

What a weird thought. It's a terrible google translation, and I was too lazy to translate it myself.

#8 deadeye

deadeye

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2502 posts
  • Joined 07-April 05

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

thanks

#9 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • 9065 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:48 AM

that would make me so happy i would probably enter cardiac arrest

#10 Stroma

Stroma

The Man, The Myth....The Legend

• Members
  • 6062 posts
  • Joined 15-December 03

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:35 PM

She's already worked with Juan and Deantoni. I'm calling it, Kimbra will tour as a part of the ORLG...once Omar breaks up with Teri. :rolleyes:

#11 Pongo

Pongo

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1108 posts
  • Joined 09-September 04

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:54 PM

Terrible translation.

I found during my limited time in Helsinki that people there speak good English. So no, probably not.

#12 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • 9065 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:48 AM

She's already worked with Juan and Deantoni. I'm calling it, Kimbra will tour as a part of the ORLG...once Omar breaks up with Teri. :rolleyes:

When did she work with Juan? I know Deantoni played on Come into My Head...

#13 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • 9065 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:51 AM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25948_10153261284605401_1870108995_n.jpg

In the studio with the one & only Omar Rodriguez Lopez. This actually happened. Wow.

Dumb bump but god damn I am excited

#14 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:24 AM

More:

http://instagram.com/p/e8529spAnz/

http://instagram.com/p/e86932pAoi/

http://instagram.com/p/e88z4UJAp2/

http://instagram.com/p/e9CEsKpAuL/

Watch out Teri...(:p only kidding...but watch out Teri)

In all seriousness, I'm just checking out her music and this is a massive collab. She is a huge artist, but I can tell from her songs she doesn't sacrifice or water down her music for the sake of commerciality. Def excited to hear the results.

#15 Seattleite

Seattleite

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2797 posts
  • Joined 07-September 07

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:35 AM

SO FUCKING RAD

#16 iamisandisnt

iamisandisnt

The joke is INSIDE the joke!

• Members
  • 13056 posts
  • Joined 09-February 06

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:17 AM

Queen mixed with rock and classical music combined the PIL progeen punk. PIL is far more interesting than the Sex Pistols. I like the mongrels of the pairs. World problems usually start when you have to be clean it or clean it, such as a pure race, pure doctrine, and so on. I dream of a world without religion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users