IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

MadlibA Comatorium Invazion

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_thirteenthsecond_*

Guest_thirteenthsecond_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 27 June 2006 - 05:53 PM

This thread is proof that Hotnikkels, myself and Madlib are the sole geniuses of the world.

You know you're the man Stalks. I don't even have to say it.

I always sort of edge away from black MC's

Hahaha, wtf? That's the most ignorant post I've ever read, and I've been on the coma for a couple years so that's saying a lot. I would LOVE to hear a few of your reasons for "edging away" from black mc's.

edit: Oh wait, I remember briefly talking to you on soulseek about how you couldn't relate to Saul William's music because he spoke so much about black experience. If that's what you're talking about I can understand you not be incredibly interested in those sorts of songs. But to shy away from all black mc's because you couldn't releate to a couple Saul WIlliams songs is a little silly, don't you think? There's definitely a whole world of black/asian/hispanic/indian/ mc's out there that you would really enjoy. Checkout the first page of the hip-hop thread and download some of the albums listed at the bottom of the opening post. I think you'll dig a lot of those and they're pretty much all black artists.

Concerning Saul: He is, by far in my opinion, the best MC hiphop has, and probably ever will manifest. He is, literally, a "Master of Ceremonies". The creation and art he has brought to the music world, and more specifically the hiphop world is some of the most innovative, forward thinking, true, music anyone can listen to. The man is almost a physical manifestation of truth, justice, love, and freedom. If you understand what he's speaking about and the ideas he holds than you can easily agree.

I think it's ignorant to call someone ignorant for stating that they edge away from a style in a genre of music. The reason I don't dig the vast majority of black mc's is because they create music that I don't think is nesscarily innovative or interesting. Most of the MC's I've heard just speak poetically about being from the streets, and the oppression that has been unjustly cast upon them for being black, and the unjustices the government caused against them. When I hear it, it's like I'm saying, "I know the government created Crack Cocaine to be distributed among minorites to keep them in the prison system, and how that has caused millions of people to suffer, but what's making this song change that." A lot of black MC's music/hiphop is very down to earth and happy, talking about getting out of that system and being able to love and give to their commuity, and that's great, but I just don't dig it, because there's more to music than that in my eyes. To quote Saul:

"This ain't hip hop no more, son, it's bigger than that. This ain't ghetto no more, black, it's bigger than black."

#22 محمود

محمود

Custom Rank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5293 posts
  • Joined 09-March 05

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:26 PM

so you throw all black mc's into "street ghetto complaining", dude, you're still wrong.

i suggest some murs for starters. and nikks is right, ignorant statement.
http://myspace.com/1064074

#23 Sgt. Baphomet

Sgt. Baphomet

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts
  • Joined 27-February 05
  • Twitter

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:52 PM

I would just like to say FUCK YES for Madlib.

My fellow Comatoriums never cease to make me happy. :biggrin:

#24 Stalktheground11

Stalktheground11

The Bling Bling Voyager Version 3.2

• Members
  • 14170 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03
  • Interests:ROLLERBLADING

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:53 PM

I think it's ignorant to call someone ignorant for stating that they edge away from a style in a genre of music. The reason I don't dig the vast majority of black mc's is because they create music that I don't think is nesscarily innovative or interesting. Most of the MC's I've heard just speak poetically about being from the streets, and the oppression that has been unjustly cast upon them for being black, and the unjustices the government caused against them. When I hear it, it's like I'm saying, "I know the government created Crack Cocaine to be distributed among minorites to keep them in the prison system, and how that has caused millions of people to suffer, but what's making this song change that." A lot of black MC's music/hiphop is very down to earth and happy, talking about getting out of that system and being able to love and give to their commuity, and that's great, but I just don't dig it, because there's more to music than that in my eyes. To quote Saul:

"This ain't hip hop no more, son, it's bigger than that. This ain't ghetto no more, black, it's bigger than black."

This is proof that you have little idea as to what you're talking about. Of course there are those types of emcees, but for god's sake, a statement like that just shows that you haven't investigated everybody from Wu-Tang to MF Doom to Pete Rock properly. I'm not calling you racist, I'm not calling you ignorant, but this is the sort of implicit generalization that drives me crazy because it's uninformed. And I'm curious as to which white emcees you think of as innovators...

Really, I love the way Saul Williams writes words, but he's saying stuff that I've heard before. I appreciate how he does it and he does it beautifully, but don't tell me the content is all that fresh and exciting.

#25 Guest_thirteenthsecond_*

Guest_thirteenthsecond_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:55 PM

"Most of the MC's I've heard"

Murs is chill I guess, "Anneurysm" the cut on Felt is fucking amazing, but, again, that's with a white MC.

Also, in my opinion, AesRock is the best MC on Def Jux.

And fuck that man you can't be "wrong" about an opinion on music or anything else for that matter, it's all relative, so what you said is ignorant.

#26 Stalktheground11

Stalktheground11

The Bling Bling Voyager Version 3.2

• Members
  • 14170 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03
  • Interests:ROLLERBLADING

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:38 PM

Yeah, and I'm saying you haven't heard most emcees.

#27 محمود

محمود

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5293 posts
  • Joined 09-March 05

Posted 28 June 2006 - 01:19 AM

oh god please don't tell me aesop and sage francis are hip hop's gems.

#28 hottnikkels

hottnikkels

• Members
  • 7911 posts
  • Joined 07-December 03
  • Interests:Art, Girls, Music

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:12 AM

This thread is proof that Hotnikkels, myself and Madlib are the sole geniuses of the world.

You know you're the man Stalks. I don't even have to say it.

I always sort of edge away from black MC's

Hahaha, wtf? That's the most ignorant post I've ever read, and I've been on the coma for a couple years so that's saying a lot. I would LOVE to hear a few of your reasons for "edging away" from black mc's.

edit: Oh wait, I remember briefly talking to you on soulseek about how you couldn't relate to Saul William's music because he spoke so much about black experience. If that's what you're talking about I can understand you not be incredibly interested in those sorts of songs. But to shy away from all black mc's because you couldn't releate to a couple Saul WIlliams songs is a little silly, don't you think? There's definitely a whole world of black/asian/hispanic/indian/ mc's out there that you would really enjoy. Checkout the first page of the hip-hop thread and download some of the albums listed at the bottom of the opening post. I think you'll dig a lot of those and they're pretty much all black artists.

Concerning Saul: He is, by far in my opinion, the best MC hiphop has, and probably ever will manifest. He is, literally, a "Master of Ceremonies". The creation and art he has brought to the music world, and more specifically the hiphop world is some of the most innovative, forward thinking, true, music anyone can listen to. The man is almost a physical manifestation of truth, justice, love, and freedom. If you understand what he's speaking about and the ideas he holds than you can easily agree.

I'm not going to get too into this, simply because I don't feel ike it at the moment, but you're argument doesn't hold together in the least. You're just generalizing black mcees as only interested in talking about their struggle in society when obvioulsy there are all kinds of black mcees that write on all different topics. It's clear that you just aren't familiar enough with the artform to realize this. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but your statements are completely uninformed and ludicrous.

#29 stickygreen

stickygreen

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1471 posts
  • Joined 22-August 05

Posted 28 June 2006 - 12:01 PM

the coma continues to amaze me with its ignorance towards hip hop

#30 Guest_thirteenthsecond_*

Guest_thirteenthsecond_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 28 June 2006 - 01:45 PM

You guys are all so elitist about a genre of music that, when it's boiled down, speaks of acceptance and understanding. I'm not sure what you consider "familiar with" but I've listened to everything from Nas to Del to Black Star to Dead Prez, even the more radio friendly groups such as Hiero, J5, and Blackalicious. I can enjoy hiphop just as much as you can, and learn something from it just as everyone else has the right to. You can't just deny me my opinion because you think I'm naive about what I'm talking about. So the fuck what if I like white MC's more, sure they didn't create hiphop, nor do they relate to the vast majority of what black MC's are saying, but that's what I like. It seems to me as white MC's get far more generalized here that black ones do.

Oh, and thanks to everyone who recommended me some Madlib to start with, oh wait..

#31 AlSirat

AlSirat

thats how im livin

• Members
  • 8809 posts
  • Joined 10-March 05

Posted 28 June 2006 - 01:51 PM

i dont like white mcs.

did you not like nas?

#32 hottnikkels

hottnikkels

• Members
  • 7911 posts
  • Joined 07-December 03
  • Interests:Art, Girls, Music

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:17 PM

You guys are all so elitist about a genre of music that, when it's boiled down, speaks of acceptance and understanding. I'm not sure what you consider "familiar with" but I've listened to everything from Nas to Del to Black Star to Dead Prez, even the more radio friendly groups such as Hiero, J5, and Blackalicious. I can enjoy hiphop just as much as you can, and learn something from it just as everyone else has the right to. You can't just deny me my opinion because you think I'm naive about what I'm talking about. So the fuck what if I like white MC's more, sure they didn't create hiphop, nor do they relate to the vast majority of what black MC's are saying, but that's what I like. It seems to me as white MC's get far more generalized here that black ones do.

Oh, and thanks to everyone who recommended me some Madlib to start with, oh wait..

It's perfectly fine if you prefer white mcees, you're free to prefer whatever race or gender mcee you please. The problem comes when you say that all black mcees speak about is being from the street, race issues, unjust governments, and oppression when that's completely absurd. Don't you see how you're generalizing an entire race by makng it seem as though they don't have their own indivdual personalities and orignal ideas and thoughts? There's nothing bizarre or strange that an anticon artist has ever said or done that wasn't said or done first by Kool Keith or O.D.B., there's no poetic devices they've used that weren't already put to use by Rakim, Nas, or Aceyalone, there's nothing funny they've said that's topped anything said by the pharcyde, De La Soul, or Biz Markie, there's no crew they've constructed that will ever top Ultramagnetic Mcs or The Wu-Tang Clan, and as far as I'm concerned the greatest producer making hip-hop music at this moment is the man this thread is dedicated to. I'm not trying to say one is better than the other, but it's crazy to say that all black mcees have to offer is stories about their struggles. Now it would be nice if we could end this mcee race war and get back to appreciating the brilliance that is Madlib.

#33 stickygreen

stickygreen

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1471 posts
  • Joined 22-August 05

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:56 PM

Anyone who prefers white rappers deserves a drop kick to the face. No white rapper has ever been good. Fact.

#34 محمود

محمود

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5293 posts
  • Joined 09-March 05

Posted 29 June 2006 - 06:35 AM

Anyone who prefers white rappers deserves a drop kick to the face. No white rapper has ever been good. Fact.

i agree, i can't think of any white rapper that i'd bump and purely enjoy. maybe one day there will be, it's not a matter of race, it's just that, all good rappers are black, and i've heard a few hispanic ones and arab ones that can melt the mic, but that's all.

anyways, madlib's indian beats on champion sound are his best. oh yea and shopping bags by de la soul on grind date, that's a dope beat.

#35 stickygreen

stickygreen

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1471 posts
  • Joined 22-August 05

Posted 29 June 2006 - 07:38 AM

i agree, i can't think of any white rapper that i'd bump and purely enjoy. maybe one day there will be, it's not a matter of race, it's just that, all good rappers are black, and i've heard a few hispanic ones and arab ones that can melt the mic, but that's all.

anyways, madlib's indian beats on champion sound are his best. oh yea and shopping bags by de la soul on grind date, that's a dope beat.

Paul Wall is really the only white rapper I've ever liked, but that was back in the day, when Chamillionaire was ghostwriting for him so I guess that doesn't count :laugh:

On topic, I haven't heard much Madlib, except Madvillany. But that's one of my favorite hip hop albums of this decade so I'll give him his props.

#36 محمود

محمود

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5293 posts
  • Joined 09-March 05

Posted 29 June 2006 - 07:50 AM

Paul Wall is really the only white rapper I've ever liked, but that was back in the day, when Chamillionaire was ghostwriting for him so I guess that doesn't count :laugh:

On topic, I haven't heard much Madlib, except Madvillany. But that's one of my favorite hip hop albums of this decade so I'll give him his props.

oh wait i forgot about paul, yea i like his old stuff, he was a good rapper, get ya mind correct with cham was fire.

#37 Guest_thirteenthsecond_*

Guest_thirteenthsecond_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:08 AM

Man, straight up fuck that. It's absurd that you guys can sit around demeaning my opinion of hiphop, while some of you seem to like an MC who perpetuates everything that is wrong in hiphop and rap. Paul Wall raps about money, bling, and "the game". That shit's ludicrous, writing songs about how expensive the grills are in your teeth is exactly the sort of shit I despise from rappers. for the mere fact that those sam diamonds are coming from African slave-labor, and any true MC, especially black ones would understand how fucke up the diamond trade is.

Talk about fucking generalizations, "All good rappers are black." "No white rapper has ever been good. Fact."

You guys are straight whack.

#38 stickygreen

stickygreen

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1471 posts
  • Joined 22-August 05

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:28 AM

Man, straight up fuck that. It's absurd that you guys can sit around demeaning my opinion of hiphop, while some of you seem to like an MC who perpetuates everything that is wrong in hiphop and rap. Paul Wall raps about money, bling, and "the game". That shit's ludicrous, writing songs about how expensive the grills are in your teeth is exactly the sort of shit I despise from rappers. for the mere fact that those sam diamonds are coming from African slave-labor, and any true MC, especially black ones would understand how fucke up the diamond trade is.

Talk about fucking generalizations, "All good rappers are black." "No white rapper has ever been good. Fact."

Paul Wall is everything that's wrong with hip hop? Not at all. In fact his album with Chamillionaire is widely regarded as a southern classic. Rapping about money IS hip-hop. To say that's whats wrong with it is saying rappers like Jay-Z are whats wrong with hip-hop, when in fact they rap about it exclusively. You prefer white rappers, your opinion on hip-hop couldn't be any more invalid. Go listen to some song by a white rapper about swallowing a bottle of vicadin because his cat died. That's not hip-hop.

#39 Guest_thirteenthsecond_*

Guest_thirteenthsecond_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:35 AM

Paul Wall is everything that's wrong with hip hop? Not at all. In fact his album with Chamillionaire is widely regarded as a southern classic. Rapping about money IS hip-hop. To say that's whats wrong with it is saying rappers like Jay-Z are whats wrong with hip-hop, when in fact they rap about it exclusively. You prefer white rappers, your opinion on hip-hop couldn't be any more invalid. Go listen to some song by a white rapper about swallowing a bottle of vicadin because his cat died. That's not hip-hop.

Hahhah, and you cats were talking to me about ignorance and generalizations??

Awesome, an album he dropped with Chamiollionaire is considered a "southern classic". That's dope I guess if you're into, again, perpetuating a system bent on capitalism and making money. Rapping about money doesn't have to be what hiphop is about, and it's about fucking time that changed.

I'll regress from my previous points (such as yourself has done) to this: you're a douche.

#40 CAMiasm

CAMiasm

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2659 posts
  • Joined 08-December 04

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:39 AM

WHY DON'T I LIKE HIP-HOP?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users