IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Pink FloydPulse DVD

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#41 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3800 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:04 AM

there's plenty of great bootlegged shit out there but as for official: wembley 1974 on the wish you were here deluxe edition, or stockholm 1967 from the early years box

#42 olympusmons

olympusmons

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Joined 25-April 06

Posted 23 March 2017 - 02:07 AM

The Oakland (or is it Anaheim) 1977 show from the Animals tour is a great bootleg. Has the last performance of Careful with That Axe Eugene.

The Wall studio album is lacking. The live version is much much better (Is Anybody Out There?). I have the Earls Court 1980 vid (downloaded from The Traders Den many years ago), cool to watch for its archival historical interest. Always hoped they'd put out that full show on BluRay warts and all.

I pretty much like the Waters years sans The Final Cut.

#43 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3800 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 23 March 2017 - 02:09 AM

yeah the oakland 77 show is THE best audience recording ive ever heard by someone who isn't mike millard

#44 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8233 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Interests:Writing, Music, Film.
  • Facebook

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:52 AM

Do you know if there are archives of their shows somewhere? Maybe archive.org?

#45 Bedlampuhedron

Bedlampuhedron

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3800 posts
  • Joined 17-May 11
  • Interests:wind turbines gave me diabetes

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:57 AM

Animals is my favorite from start to finish. Great concept album. Piper is neat for its rawness. Saucerful is okay. Meddle is nice as hell. DSOTM goes without saying, WYWH is great but it was never my favorite. Too sentimental sounding. AHM is cool every now and then. Summer song is dope. Final Cut is awful and Endless River is okay/great in some parts.

Live at Pompeii is awesome. Wish there was another concept concert recording or something.

I love Animals. But I also love The Wall and you didn't even mention it!!

Echoes is just so good that it puts Meddle up there on it's own. Not to say that the rest of the album isn't good.

Shine On You Crazy Diamond is one of my favorite songs ever, and it's not like the rest of Wish You Were Here is filler. So yeah I frickin love that album.

And I like The Final Cut.

#46 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3800 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:09 AM

Do you know if there are archives of their shows somewhere? Maybe archive.org?

not archive, afaik yeeshkul is the premiere bootlegging community for pf

#47 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 8233 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Facebook

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:52 PM

Thanks swan song I'll check it out. And bedlam, I didn't mention the wall because I few posts above me we were discussing our... indifference toward it. I like several of its songs, but overall it's too long for its own good in my opinion. I forgot to mention Umma Gumma it's also a crazy weird ass album I enjoy once in a while. Good experimentation on there.

#48 daveion

daveion

El Guapo

• Coma Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3159 posts
  • Joined 01-March 05

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:59 PM

Animals, Meddle and Dark Side are amazing. Atom Heart Mother is their most underrated and slept on but it's great. Piper and Saucerful are wild and awesome. And I'm that guy that defends The Wall and actually enjoys most of it although I do agree it's bloated and would be better consolidated. WYWH doesn't do much for me besides Shine On You Crazy Diamond and the title track which is fun/easy for me to play (I don't really play guitar). I don't really fuck with the later stuff but High Hopes is a great track.

...and Live in Pompeii fucking owns :notworthy:

#49 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3800 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:02 PM

atom heart mother is pretty slept on, but id say that obscured by clouds and more are the most ignored (because they're soundtracks i guess?) which is a shame because they're both great albums. the nile song for instance from more or burning bridges from obscured should get more attention. on the topic of soundtracks, its nice that zabriskie point is officially out there now too, aeroplane is a great track off that. my problem with the wall is yeah there's a lot of "filler", which i put in scare quotes because i see why they're necessary in a narrative context but do the songs actually have to exist? bring the boys back home and stop for example. a lot of the lyrics are super preachy too. i think it could've made a hell of a single disc and will forever work best as a live experience. it sucks we dont have a full 1981 video of it, just snippets and two poorly shot 1980 shows, but at least roger's version is available in full. who knows, someday maybe they'll do it? i certainly never expected anything like the immersion and early years campaigns but they happened

#50 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 10075 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:59 AM

Love ahm

#51 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 8233 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Facebook

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:59 PM

Summer 68 is sooo awesome lol that brass section...

#52 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3800 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:15 PM

great example of rick knowing how to pick out the perfect piano chords too. shame that his solo records are cheese

#53 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 10075 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:56 PM

All of them are cheese when left by themselves. Except roger, who could actually use some good cheese. His conceptual music is very heavy on the conceptual and very light on the music

#54 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3800 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:58 PM

thats why im excited for this new album, seems that songcraft is taking the forefront this time. pros and cons was good for that too. the gilmour stuff is alright as well, though these last two albums of his are about as grandpa rock as it gets, especially on an island. that shit puts me to sleep

#55 iamisandisnt

iamisandisnt

The joke is INSIDE the joke!

• Members
  • 13056 posts
  • Joined 09-February 06

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:32 PM

Atom Heart Mother + Summer of 68 FTW

I for one am not really a fan of The Wall or even Dark Side, tbqh

However, honey love you, honey little honey funny sunny morning love you more funny love in the skyline baby

yaknowhadimean?

#56 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3800 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:34 PM

madcap is such a bizarre album. groundbreaking for that type of thing too

#57 iamisandisnt

iamisandisnt

• Members
  • 13056 posts
  • Joined 09-February 06

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:38 PM

Yeah I listened to the last Floyd album when it came out in what.. late 2014? Was alright, but nothing hooked me at all, literally just sounded like the longest ambient low-key jam of all time.

Some day when I need to listen to that I'll listen to that, but are you saying there's new ... songy Floyd on the way?

#58 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3800 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:40 PM

i liked endless river personally, but im into ambient a lot so i could see why its not everybodys cup of tea. certainly better than division bell, momentary lapse, and final cut though. im talking about roger's new album though. theres enough new-new material for a double album in the early years box though if you need a fix, most of it is from 68. if you want to cherry pick, the completely new material on there are:

-in the beechwoods

-reaction in g

-john latham

-various improvs

-roger's boogie

-hollywood

-the committee

-auto scene 2

#59 iamisandisnt

iamisandisnt

• Members
  • 13056 posts
  • Joined 09-February 06

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:43 PM

early years box?

I'll admit I don't follow up with pink floyd news at all... you saying there's a double album worth of material from their best years??? is this collection of songs organized somehow or do I have to go like find each interesting track? any suggestions/links?

#60 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3800 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:51 PM

basically there have been 2 big campaigns pf started to clean out the cupboards, one called "why pink floyd" and the other being the early years. the why pink floyd one had their whole catalog reissued/remixed with super deluxe editions coming out for the wall/wywh/dsotm that had unreleased songs and live shit. the wall had it best with a ton of new stuff coming from the various demo versions of the album made by roger by himself and the band. there was also a song from dark side of the moon long thought to only be a live thing and a new track from the aborted household objects album which isnt lifechanging but an interesting curiosity. the wywh one had great live stuff on it; a not split in two version of shine on and the early 1974 versions of sheep and dogs. stuff new to these are the tracks, most of which can be found on youtube now unlike the early years stuff:

-The Hard Way

-The Travel Sequence

-Have A Cigar (without roy harper vocals and a longer solo)

-Wish You Were Here (with violin by stephanie grappeli)

-Prelude

-Sexual Revolution

-Backs To the Wall

-Its Never Too Late

early years is a 14(?) disc box set that covers 1965-1972. most of it has been available in the bootlegging community for some time but some has not, namely live footage (such as zappa sitting in on interstellar overdrive in 1969) and the tracks i outlined in the last post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users