IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

The Official live Cotopaxi ThreadI do not have it, this is an anticipation thread

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6774 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 10 March 2021 - 06:35 PM

Jesus christ this album was absolute dog shite though wasn't it

I'll rep for Octahedron all day ey day.

#42 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3068 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 10 March 2021 - 06:50 PM

Jesus christ this album was absolute dog shite though wasn't it

I'll rep for Octahedron all day ey day.

8 songs on octo and I’ll rep for 5 of them all day, so more than half the album I’m on board with. There’s plenty of good stuff there, not nearly as much crazy Volta until of course Luciforms which harkens back a bit more to older Volta.

Since we’ve been wrong, Teflon, Cotopaxi, desperate graves, and luciforms are all jams I’ll stand behind. I like this live performance too of Cotopaxi, fun alt take on it. JuSt like how the abbey road Goliath and Cotopaxi and Teflon are good performances too - certainly an interesting era of the band.

#43 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 6774 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14

Posted 10 March 2021 - 06:58 PM

Any responses to my thoughts on this Cotopaxi? I'm not buying this being even a bit of studio.

#44 Palo Alto

Palo Alto

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Joined 24-November 07

Posted 10 March 2021 - 07:01 PM

Jesus christ this album was absolute dog shite though wasn't it, no wonder I loved Noct so much when it came out.

Yeah I'm with you on this being easily their worst, I wouldn't call it dogshit but was such a disappointment after Bedlam and the build-up. I haven't tried much harder to make myself like an album.

Also I loved the acoustic versions of Asilos and Miranda so was a let down in that sense too.

#45 broccoli bro

broccoli bro

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 180 posts
  • Joined 19-September 20

Posted 10 March 2021 - 09:14 PM

Any responses to my thoughts on this Cotopaxi? I'm not buying this being even a bit of studio.

Sounds live to me aswell, and it is possible, but only for two shows, Zurich or Hurricane (which I attended btw, so a pro recording would be extra interesting for me). And the track must have been mixed/mastered and sent to iTunes hella fast.

Or it‘s one of Omar‘s endless conceptual shit where the label demanded a live recording, he sent them a fake live recording, they didn‘t notice and he thought he made a point and assumed true fans would know it‘s fake.

#46 vacuumo

vacuumo

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Joined 23-February 05

Posted 10 March 2021 - 09:50 PM

well, if it's really a preorder track, then we should be able to narrow down the possible performance dates. Octahedron was released on 2009/06/23. TMV played Cotopaxi live on the following dates up to June 23rd:

http://www.themarble...m/show/20090609

http://www.themarble...m/show/20090613

http://www.themarble...m/show/20090618

http://www.themarble...m/show/20090620

http://www.themarble...m/show/20090621

EDIT: seems like the live Cotopaxi might not have been available til June 24th, so it's even possible that Cotopaxi was sourced from the 2009/0623 show at VOLKSHAUS

http://www.themarble.../show/20090623/

as an aside, there could be any amount of Frank Zappa-style xenochrony in live tracks that Omar puts out. i don't mean that he'd necessarily correct mistakes by overdubbing things in the studio, but i believe that he'd be capable of assembling a more ideal live recording from multiple sources (verse vocals from this date, chorus vocals from that date, drum and bass track from another); in fact, Omar seems to have set himself up to be able to do just that by having the band perform live to a click track (not to mention being able to use those stems to make totally new compositions). here's Marcel talking about that in September of 2009:

from https://drummagazine...-volta-familia/

Marcel also avails himself of in-ears since a man needs all the help he can get in a beast as unwieldy as The Volta. “Suddenly out of nowhere the bpm jumps by like ten, or it might be more subtle. But if we’re all playing together and it’s something that has a lot of notes in it, there’s a click so we don’t get off on that transition.” 

#47 vacuumo

vacuumo

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Joined 23-February 05

Posted 10 March 2021 - 10:12 PM

one thing that's conspicuous about the live Cotopaxi is that Cedric sings the part right at the end of the chorus, before the breakdown, in the same register as the album version (1:23 to 1:28 on the mp3). it's unusual for Cedric to be able to hit that live, so we can probably use that to rule out certain performances.

he doesn't at Ventura: https://youtu.be/JcHr3h0QBSA?t=79

he doesn't at Bonnaroo: https://youtu.be/MXoaZBF-LB0?t=60

i'm not sure what he does at ICA, but it doesn't seem to be in his high register: https://youtu.be/NbSuFQt3YzY?t=763

youtube doesn't seem to have any audio or video of Cotopaxi from the other two dates, Southside Festival and Hurricane Festival, and i'm not in the mood to download the audio from TMS, but i would encourage someone else to check.

edit: lmao this discussion already took place on the first page of the thread, and even then no one bothered to check the European festival dates other than to say "it's the only possibility"

#48 A.N.Other

A.N.Other

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3109 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Posted 10 March 2021 - 10:20 PM

youtube doesn't seem to have any audio or video of Cotopaxi from the other two dates, Southside Festival and Hurricane Festival, and i'm not in the mood to download the audio from TMS, but i would encourage someone else to check.

I did check Southside and it's definitely not the same vocal performance, although some instrumental bits are actually similar (i.e. short breakdown before final chorus).

I think the best guess is that it indeed was compiled from multiple different shows. 

as an aside, there could be any amount of Frank Zappa-style xenochrony in live tracks that Omar puts out. i don't mean that he'd necessarily correct mistakes by overdubbing things in the studio, but i believe that he'd be capable of assembling a more ideal live recording from multiple sources (verse vocals from this date, chorus vocals from that date, drum and bass track from another); in fact, Omar seems to have set himself up to be able to do just that by having the band perform live to a click track (not to mention being able to use those stems to make totally new compositions). 

#49 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4335 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 11 March 2021 - 12:35 AM

Hahahah I do love how it’s a “fake” live take - at least it’s inevitably band in rehearsal space recorded vs loaded with studio overdubs.....

It’s like a cool alt mix of the tune - more louder keys in the mix so always good to hear loud Ikey.

Between this, wax from Madrid, Cygnus from Australia, widow live from the Frances single, basically Frankensteining a scabdates 2 of live performances OFFICIALLY released by the band.

Wouldn’t consider the 3 tunes from their final show in 2012 in London that Matt bittman released - they sound so halfhearted on widow for example and understandably so.

Technically, id say troubadour 2007 wouldn’t count as that’s a soundboard not licensed by the band.

don't forget the malkin/english video

#50 Jevon

Jevon

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Joined 20-March 07
  • Interests:surviving & not dying.
  • Facebook

Posted 11 March 2021 - 01:28 AM

Haha sorry fellas, just thought I'd get a classic album bicker on the go, I do enjoy it when I'm in the mood but I definitely think it's the on the weaker end of the catalog. I always found the mix to be uninspired/stagnant and like cardboard sounding. Luciforms is great though

#51 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3068 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 11 March 2021 - 04:13 AM

Funny octa fact I realized today - if you go on Apple Music, they have the 1:37 of drone and noise that precedes the acoustic guitar in since we’ve been wrong split off into its own track called “credits”...hahahahah guess the drone was too much for them????

#52 goliathsoctahedron

goliathsoctahedron

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Joined 12-June 09

Posted 11 March 2021 - 03:47 PM

The comments crack me up too lmao

#53 nembutals

nembutals

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Joined 16-July 10

Posted 11 March 2021 - 06:36 PM

Why is it called Credits?

#54 Tommo Chocolate

Tommo Chocolate

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Joined 27-April 08

Posted 11 March 2021 - 07:08 PM

Oh wow, I used to have this but had completely forgotten about it and lost the mp3. Thanks for reupload.

I can understand people saying it's not a real live recording and the crowd noise was added afterwards. But to me it sounds like the kind of crappy recording of a festival you get on the BBC sometimes, and I find it totally plausible that this was recorded at a festival and mixed hastily on a very tight deadline. Live recordings of TMV never sound quite right to me anyway, although I've never been able to put my finger on why...

Why is it called Credits?

No idea, but my guess is the credits for this track are:

Synths by Omar

Composed by Omar

Recorded by Omar

Produced by Omar

#55 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 6774 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14

Posted 11 March 2021 - 08:24 PM

No, scroll back a page or two. Apple or Spotify just listed that as the first track, noone knows why, rather than keeping it within SWBW. The subsequent youtube upload and comments are a joke.

#56 goliathsoctahedron

goliathsoctahedron

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Joined 12-June 09

Posted 11 March 2021 - 08:35 PM

I remember preordering the itunes version to get the live cotopaxi and now realizing its been twelve years and getting some kind of live recording like that officially is a rarity! And then ordering it like that i always new the credits thing was absurd. A cash grab to get an extra 1.29 on the itunes store back in the day?

#57 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • 9379 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11

Posted 12 March 2021 - 01:32 AM

I remember preordering the itunes version to get the live cotopaxi and now realizing its been twelve years and getting some kind of live recording like that officially is a rarity! And then ordering it like that i always new the credits thing was absurd. A cash grab to get an extra 1.29 on the itunes store back in the day?

lmao I'm just imagining some fervent tmv fan scrambling to buy that track thinking its some kind of rarity or bonus track they haven't heard

Real horse armor shit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users