IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

One Day As A LionJon Theodore Interviewed

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 sshambles

sshambles

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1237 posts
  • Joined 17-February 05

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:34 PM

Interview on FasterLouder.com.au

LP tracking and in some ending stages. Awesome!

What about your Mars Volta days, how do you look back on them? What were they like?
I look back on them fondly. Now itís 10 years on, I came to LA 10 years ago to get that thing going, and thatís a significant period of time. What an opportunity, it was nothing but good for me. We were on the up swing, we created something that was well received, so we had unlimited access to any places we wanted to play or whoever we wanted to record with. We made a record in Australia just because we wanted to, those are things I canít take for granted. Musically, sure that collection of people was what created that sound so certainly that drew a particular approach to playing drums out of me that was so new for me. As a group we reached levels that we didnít even know we were capable of. Sure, we had our off nights, but it was a great time to look back on, everything was blossoming.

#2 Discordia

Discordia

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3287 posts
  • Joined 25-October 03

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:45 PM

ma' bell, I got the ill communication

#3 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13820 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:09 PM

Good read

#4 flipzoso

flipzoso

ZK

• Party Members
  • 7105 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:23 PM

Damn, I love JT and that TMV-era.

#5 buddh4sack

buddh4sack

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4398 posts
  • Joined 19-April 08
  • Interests:The Secret of The Widow

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:25 PM

Damn, I love JT and that TMV-era.

#6 ACapillaryHintOfRed

ACapillaryHintOfRed

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Joined 21-July 03

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:55 PM

sweet and refreshing.
roll on odaal vinyl.
thanks sshambles!
hopefully they'll come and play london once the album is finished & out.

#7 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7675 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09
  • Interests:Peace, love and bass.

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:24 AM

Hell yes! Wonderful interview, finally some news! :smile:

#8 hui43210

hui43210

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2657 posts
  • Joined 04-June 08

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:10 AM

ive noteiced jon takes the high road here, while omar genrally takes the low.... makes ya think.

#9 iamisandisnt

iamisandisnt

The joke is INSIDE the joke!

• Members
  • 13056 posts
  • Joined 09-February 06

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:04 AM

Yeah, that's probably the nicest thing any ex-band-members have said about them. Probably because they've all kissed and made up. Juan and him are still tight, after all, having done that weird blues cover band parking lot show thingy.

#10 iamisandisnt

iamisandisnt

The joke is INSIDE the joke!

• Members
  • 13056 posts
  • Joined 09-February 06

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:13 AM

Another interesting tidbit:

Well we donít have enough time to get into this really, we could go all the way back to the time when the law was created that made a song consist of just melody and the lyric, the world of entertainment is based around the ability to package things neatly and there must be a lead singer and a lead guitar player; clichťs that must be followed.

There are all types of drummers, but I think everyone deserves the recognition if somethingís great. Itís very rare that you could remove one aspect of something and itís still the way it was, whether itís the drums or the singer, Iím not the kinda guy that says Ďletís just get a different singer.í I donít just like bands because the singerís cool, I like what everyone contributes. Maybe if drummers took more solos it would force people to recognize them. It shouldnít be about that anyway though, everyone is beautiful and perfect and magical.

#11 Jack Austin Gilbert 7

Jack Austin Gilbert 7

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1308 posts
  • Joined 15-April 07
  • Interests:Unanimous wedge, baby

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:18 AM

It’s very rare that you could remove one aspect of something and it’s still the way it was, whether it’s the drums or the singer

#12 Discordia

Discordia

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3287 posts
  • Joined 25-October 03

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:04 AM

Wonder if Mario C is still producing the record?

#13 6025

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 231 posts
  • Joined 06-January 10

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:13 AM

maybe jon being lazy was what made the mars volta good. i think its a little too rehearsed these days and there are clicks and shit, i dont know. not that theres anything wrong with it.

ill never forget that summer the band came back after jeremy died and omar got the oranges and jon started using the clear kit. back then people didnt bitch about cedrics voice or anything. they were just fucking killing it. its cool they all moved on but im glad i have the maida vale session and the lowlands festival

man it sucks you know, he parted ways and they got a drummer (thomas) who turned out to just be a douche bag. i like deantoni though, but more as just the omar drummer even though him with the mars volta is cool. but its almost like what thomas is doing with the memorials, omar did with the mars volta when jon left. just like "gosh this is finally what i wanted to do" and then just kinda overkill

#14 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13820 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:16 AM

Juan and him are still tight

I think Cedric too

#15 Seattleite

Seattleite

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2797 posts
  • Joined 07-September 07

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:10 AM

Interview on FasterLouder.com.au

LP tracking and in some ending stages. Awesome!

What about your Mars Volta days, how do you look back on them? What were they like?
I look back on them fondly. Now itís 10 years on, I came to LA 10 years ago to get that thing going, and thatís a significant period of time. What an opportunity, it was nothing but good for me. We were on the up swing, we created something that was well received, so we had unlimited access to any places we wanted to play or whoever we wanted to record with. We made a record in Australia just because we wanted to, those are things I canít take for granted. Musically, sure that collection of people was what created that sound so certainly that drew a particular approach to playing drums out of me that was so new for me. As a group we reached levels that we didnít even know we were capable of. Sure, we had our off nights, but it was a great time to look back on, everything was blossoming.

FUCK YES FINALLY!!! i hope they got what's his name from the locust. this is gonna rule.

#16 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 10058 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:45 PM

maybe jon being lazy was what made the mars volta good. i think its a little too rehearsed these days and there are clicks and shit, i dont know. not that theres anything wrong with it.

ill never forget that summer the band came back after jeremy died and omar got the oranges and jon started using the clear kit. back then people didnt bitch about cedrics voice or anything. they were just fucking killing it. its cool they all moved on but im glad i have the maida vale session and the lowlands festival

man it sucks you know, he parted ways and they got a drummer (thomas) who turned out to just be a douche bag. i like deantoni though, but more as just the omar drummer even though him with the mars volta is cool. but its almost like what thomas is doing with the memorials, omar did with the mars volta when jon left. just like "gosh this is finally what i wanted to do" and then just kinda overkill

no.

#17 6025

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 231 posts
  • Joined 06-January 10

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:57 AM

thanks for reading it to the end?

#18 Discordia

Discordia

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3287 posts
  • Joined 25-October 03

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:16 AM

"DrumChannel Drum Channel
THOMAS LANG, RUSS MILLER, TONY ROYSTER JR., JOEY HEREDIA & JON THEODORE in the DC STUDIO today with VIC FIRTH!!
11 Jan"

He also participated in a drum duets vid with John Wackerman http://www.drumchann...egories/Contest

#19 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13820 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:59 AM

I want to see Jon play a really long solo...

#20 Bane Fubar

Bane Fubar

Twat.

• Members
  • 32781 posts
  • Joined 16-February 07

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:10 AM

"DrumChannel Drum Channel
THOMAS LANG, RUSS MILLER, TONY ROYSTER JR., JOEY HEREDIA & JON THEODORE in the DC STUDIO today with VIC FIRTH!!
11 Jan"

He also participated in a drum duets vid with John Wackerman http://www.drumchann...egories/Contest

Posted Image

Man I got fucking snubbed! See how mad I am! I'm going to Avenge Sevenfold their asses into the next life! That Wackerman family are a bunch of fuckheads! One day they will all look back and realize that my drum set is much bigger and I can unleash triple bass drum solos faster than Michael J. Fox tapping his fingers on a coke binge!!! COCAINE!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users