IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Los Chidos

• Please log in to reply
294 replies to this topic

#41 psychoshamanism

psychoshamanism

nada sin ti

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7800 posts
  • Joined 03-May 09

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:42 PM

you know what's really sad?... this will probably not see a DVD release for another two years... if that... If I was a millionaire.. i would fund all sorts of RLP material...

wtf?!

Also, we're doing At the Drive In records and Mars Volta has a new record coming out on March 26th.

#42 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6868 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:18 PM

I think he was just referring to reissues.

#43 Onion-Ringu

Onion-Ringu

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts
  • Joined 07-July 08

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:58 PM

What were you smoking when you did this movie?
I was smoking my mother’s thoughts.

Really? Speaking of which, I noticed you choked when you mentioned her during the Q&A after the movie. She liked the movie, so she must be an amazingly open-minded woman.
My mother is a very special woman with an unbelievable sense of God. She’s the most important thing in my life. I choked because she’s getting old and one day I will no longer have her to give me advice.

You seemed pleasantly surprised that so many people stayed at the theatre after the screening. You’re well aware that your movie is not for everyone.
Of course. During festivals, it’s very common that directors say, ‘We’ll dominate this festival.’ I don’t come to dominate anything. I come to participate in a dialogue. I just have a very particular way of speaking.

Your movie subtly explores internal racism among Latinos, yet you rightly decided to mainly focus on misogyny.
There were a lot of themes I wanted to explore, but had to choose a few instead of ending up with a four-hour movie. I chose abuse against women because it always amazed me that [in Latin America] we adore the Virgin Mary, but all the other women are treated like second-class citizens.

I find it very symbolic that you chose Molotov’s “Frijolero” to start and end the movie with. Whether you love it or hate it, Los Chidos is a Molotov cocktail in the balls.
Yes. It’s possible that a lot of people won’t like Los Chidos, but it causes an immediate reaction that will start a discussion about this subject. And that’s the important thing about the movie.

http://blogs.sacurre...os-shocks-sxsw/

#44 hui43210

hui43210

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2657 posts
  • Joined 04-June 08

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

What were you smoking when you did this movie?
I was smoking my mother's thoughts.

Really? Speaking of which, I noticed you choked when you mentioned her during the Q&A after the movie. She liked the movie, so she must be an amazingly open-minded woman.
My mother is a very special woman with an unbelievable sense of God. She's the most important thing in my life. I choked because she's getting old and one day I will no longer have her to give me advice.

You seemed pleasantly surprised that so many people stayed at the theatre after the screening. You're well aware that your movie is not for everyone.
Of course. During festivals, it's very common that directors say, 'We'll dominate this festival.' I don't come to dominate anything. I come to participate in a dialogue. I just have a very particular way of speaking.

Your movie subtly explores internal racism among Latinos, yet you rightly decided to mainly focus on misogyny.
There were a lot of themes I wanted to explore, but had to choose a few instead of ending up with a four-hour movie. I chose abuse against women because it always amazed me that [in Latin America] we adore the Virgin Mary, but all the other women are treated like second-class citizens.

I find it very symbolic that you chose Molotov's "Frijolero" to start and end the movie with. Whether you love it or hate it, Los Chidos is a Molotov cocktail in the balls.
Yes. It's possible that a lot of people won't like Los Chidos, but it causes an immediate reaction that will start a discussion about this subject. And that's the important thing about the movie.

http://blogs.sacurre...os-shocks-sxsw/

Damn, I think i want to see this one more than smes.

#45 psychoshamanism

psychoshamanism

nada sin ti

• Members
  • 7800 posts
  • Joined 03-May 09

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:27 PM

Cesar Rosas ‏ @soycesar

#LosChidos #Mexico

#46 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4665 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:55 AM

Yeah, I want to see this one more, but it sounds like a mindfuck. All the audio was done in post. How fucking strange. Sucks cause I may never see either movie.

#47 The Myst

The Myst

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 241 posts
  • Joined 02-October 07

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:17 AM

To the guy asking about the music, there is no original music from Omar in the movie. Most of the songs were Spanish songs by a lot of artists I have never heard of and towards the end "Down in the Hole" by Tom Waits was used.

Like the interviewer mentioned, I noticed Omar getting choked up when he mentioned his mother and I wondered about it, though I figured it was personal. If I had to guess though, perhaps she isn't in good health. Remember when ORLG canceled a tour for family issues? I don't think we ever heard what was going on with that, perhaps it was Omar's mother that had taken ill. Best wishes to them if so. I know Omar said his parents were both in the audience though, so there's that.

#48 Onion-Ringu

Onion-Ringu

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts
  • Joined 07-July 08

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:36 PM

SXSW '12 Interview: Omar Rodriquez Lopez Talks Spirituality, Storytelling & The Symbolism Of 'Los Chidos'

http://blogs.indiewi...lism-los-chidos

#49 johnb820

johnb820

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1133 posts
  • Joined 03-May 06
  • Twitter

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

That was one of the most informative and interesting interviews from Omar in a long while.

#50 nated103

nated103

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Joined 07-June 04

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

you know what's really sad?... this will probably not see a DVD release for another two years... if that... If I was a millionaire.. i would fund all sorts of RLP material...

wtf?!

Also, we're doing At the Drive In records and Mars Volta has a new record coming out on March 26th.

they are totally writing new stuff.

I KNOW IT

why would you cash grab JUST for coachella when you could cash grab for coachella and 3 more albums... not like omar's solo stuff is making money.

Films are super expensive and omar is out of his snobby, "I would never go to an ex girlfriend" phase.

HE IS FUCKING HIS EXES TOOOOOOO

#51 Onion-Ringu

Onion-Ringu

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts
  • Joined 07-July 08

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:10 AM

http://www.flixist.c...s--207679.phtml

#52 Counting The Toll

Counting The Toll

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2068 posts
  • Joined 18-January 06

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

Anyone know the next time they're showing LOS CHIDOS? Also, and info on like debut of DVD copies?

#53 A.N.Other

A.N.Other

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3034 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

Alanna Raben talks to filmmaker Omar Rodriguez-Lopez about his new film "Los Chidos" and touches on the At The Drive-In reunion. Shot in Austin, TX at the Driskill Hotel during SXSW 2012.

#54 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4665 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

Alanna Raben talks to filmmaker Omar Rodriguez-Lopez about his new film "Los Chidos" and touches on the At The Drive-In reunion. Shot in Austin, TX at the Driskill Hotel during SXSW 2012.

Cool, I was worried this interview had disappeared. :)

#55 johnb820

johnb820

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1133 posts
  • Joined 03-May 06
  • Twitter

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:32 PM

Anyone know the next time they're showing LOS CHIDOS? Also, and info on like debut of DVD copies?

Sorry man, we don't have any info on what's going to happen with this film yet.

Excellent interview!

#56 flipzoso

flipzoso

ZK

• Party Members
  • 7112 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:26 PM

#57 crimsonKOOKS

crimsonKOOKS

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • Joined 25-November 05

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:36 PM

so is there even a trailer out for LOS CHIDOS?

#58 crimsonKOOKS

crimsonKOOKS

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • Joined 25-November 05

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:37 PM

so is there even a trailer out for LOS CHIDOS?

#59 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3776 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:02 AM

cathy just posted on formsping that we aren't getting a trailer which is some bo-shit

#60 tokyoisdead

tokyoisdead

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 185 posts
  • Joined 02-February 12

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:34 AM

"More festival screenings
to come in 2013."
Posted on Los Chidos fb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic