IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Omar interview in Chart - Notes to Consider

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 Ghost Of Shark Horse

Ghost Of Shark Horse

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1513 posts
  • Joined 15-June 15

Posted 22 February 2019 - 11:42 PM

Great read - thanks again for the PM!!

#22 Somniloquist

Somniloquist

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Joined 08-February 18
  • Interests:Role playing, occasional video game activity, music. That's it! One day, I will be cultured.

Posted 23 February 2019 - 04:58 AM

Unfortunately I am aggressively unemployed, so if I could get a PM to read this, I'd be grateful!

#23 s_uds

s_uds

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Joined 15-November 15

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:06 AM

Thanks a lot for the PM, great interview - interestingly, he almost never talks about TMV

#24 universe

universe

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Joined 06-December 04

Posted 24 February 2019 - 03:45 AM

Can you send me the scan as well please?

Thanks!

#25 greatbigyes

greatbigyes

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 05-September 18

Posted 24 February 2019 - 01:28 PM

i would love a pm too please

#26 Somniloquist

Somniloquist

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Joined 08-February 18
  • Interests:Role playing, occasional video game activity, music. That's it! One day, I will be cultured.

Posted 24 February 2019 - 04:54 PM

Thanks for the interview, it was super interesting. It's too bad about people not being understanding about human limitations re: performance. It's not as though they're an act with a choreographed performance every night that they're not delivering on.

#27 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 24 February 2019 - 05:06 PM

this is gonna sound gross but i wish he talked more about his mother

#28 Myshkin

Myshkin

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts
  • Joined 17-February 14

Posted 25 February 2019 - 06:44 PM

can someone send me a PM with the interview, I miss any activity from Omar

#29 imfrudom

imfrudom

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • Joined 28-June 12

Posted 26 February 2019 - 02:55 AM

Could I get a PM too please??

#30 Unt1tled

Unt1tled

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Joined 16-June 08

Posted 26 February 2019 - 04:01 AM

Would you send one to me too, please?

#31 vacuumo

vacuumo

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Joined 23-February 05

Posted 26 February 2019 - 03:25 PM

Thanks for the interview, it was super interesting. It's too bad about people not being understanding about human limitations re: performance. It's not as though they're an act with a choreographed performance every night that they're not delivering on.

although, the people behind those choreographed performance acts are just as deserving of compassion. despite what my preferences would indicate, fellow fans of the stuff that i far prefer to britney spears aren't any better than her fans. in the interview, omar says: "All this success seems to make some people think that you are not a human being anymore. A normal human reaction is to be understanding, to hope that someone who is ill will be okay. But success causes this other reaction: no, no! You are my band, you have to play now! To know that people who are your fans are thinking on that level is very painful because it makes you think: oh my God, they are so stupid. But soon afterward you think: I don't wanna feel that way about people."

#32 Somniloquist

Somniloquist

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Joined 08-February 18

Posted 27 February 2019 - 02:22 AM

Oh for sure, I wasn't intending to say that people who do choreographed stuff are less human or something. I think I wound up saying that anyway, but I was having a hard time putting my finger on it. I imagine ATDI tickets were expensive and everything but, I don't know, performance and art and everything aren't simple consumer goods. Back when I was employed, I paid for a good amount of art. Sometimes I'd pay $30 for something I didn't like and $10 for something brilliant. (Not much money obviously, but, y'know, friends, friends of friends, that kind of stuff.  . .just for fun vs. other forms.) I didn't berate the unusable art, or demand my money back, or anything like that. The work was still done, whether I liked it was up to me. There were valid technical complaints about it, sure, but I could still see how much work went into it. I guess I feel something similar to that. I can kind of understand the fan perspective, if it's a big obsession of yours or an important nostalgic fixation, then you're remembering, or looking at shit on the internet, and you want to be inside that. . .but everything's gonna stay in its place. Sure, it would've been a more engaging show if Omar were up to really cutting a rug or whatever, but it's not like you're guaranteed a very specific thing that's not being delivered. As for outright performing when unwell. . .fuck that. Weren't the potential consequences of doing so permanently ruining his voice or something? I don't totally remember that. The total selfishness of expecting someone to knowingly put their well-being on the line for a show is wild. 

#33 vacuumo

vacuumo

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Joined 23-February 05

Posted 28 February 2019 - 04:57 AM

totally man. i wasn't so much responding to you as using your post as a jumping off point, given that some such entitled fans have been around these forums.

i think cedric was really tearing up his throat, yeah. in addition to that kind of physical wellness, i think omar was referring non-physical wellness, in particular his grief after his mom's death.

#34 notmark

notmark

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 11-February 19

Posted 01 March 2019 - 05:16 AM

If anyone wanted to PM me the scan I'd appreciate it

#35 Alpha

Alpha

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts
  • Joined 28-December 14

Posted 02 March 2019 - 06:59 AM

PM, pretty PLZ

#36 notmark

notmark

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 11-February 19

Posted 03 March 2019 - 07:19 AM

What a great interview. I don't think I've ever heard Omar get this personal. Hearing him talk about the way his race, youth, homelessness, experiences with abuse, drug addiction ,the death of his friends, family, etc are connected with his life philosophy and his drive as an artist is really insightful.

#37 toa

toa

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Joined 12-November 05

Posted 03 March 2019 - 08:58 PM

pm please?

#38 radiognome

radiognome

Miranda