IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Yesprog rock band from uk

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: fav album (9 member(s) have cast votes)

fav album (original run)

1. yes (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. time and a word (1 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

3. yes album (1 votes [11.11%])

4. fragile (0 votes [0.00%])

5. tales from topographic (1 votes [11.11%])

6. close to the edge (5 votes [55.56%])

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

7. relayer (1 votes [11.11%])

8. going for the one (0 votes [0.00%])

9. tormato (0 votes [0.00%])

10. drama (0 votes [0.00%])

fav album (1983-present)

1. Keys to Ascension (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

2. open your eyes (0 votes [0.00%])

3. ladder (0 votes [0.00%])

4. magnification (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

5. fly from here (0 votes [0.00%])

6. heaven and earth (0 votes [0.00%])

7. 90125 (3 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

8. big generator (0 votes [0.00%])

9. abwh (1 votes [11.11%])

10. union (0 votes [0.00%])

11. talk (1 votes [11.11%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3966 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 13 August 2018 - 04:17 PM

anyone has a normal dimeadozen account? i need to download a few 2018 yes boots.

also, yes feat. arw released their first song:

#2 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5629 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 13 August 2018 - 11:59 PM

anyone has a normal dimeadozen account? i need to download a few 2018 yes boots.

also, yes feat. arw released their first song:

you want 2018 shows?  I can't imagine they're very good.

#3 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3966 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:29 PM

I want a performance of onward from 2018. Also a few boots have Tony Kaye and Patrick Moraz playing with them. There are also rumours that they will be touring Relayer with Patrick Moraz in 2019

#4 Carmen1993

Carmen1993

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 170 posts
  • Joined 15-June 13
  • Interests:Have you seen the gnome?

Posted 15 August 2018 - 12:09 PM

I want fly from here with the horn vocals. I like time & a word since it's the most emotional/adventurous, but also still that young and raw group. I always thought Yes were the greatest of that era, till I discovered Genesis, and then realized Genesis were the greatest of that era. Genesis never had what Yes had, in terms of each album being a coherent, bowtie wrapped, album. Genesis were always more gritty, odd, daring, but imo achieved in the edges. I guess he was more influenced by beat poets, than Jon Anderson influenced by haru krishnu or whatever. Peter Gabriel had intellectual cred that is a bit unheard of, that took it to musical literary levels. Starting to feel like american psycho. But Yes made better albums probably, but Genesis is something else entirely. It is also interesting just how young Genesis were, and how they broke up before any of them really hit their musical prime, so all you ever got was the young band, (meaning if they didn't split up and go pop you probably would've got those accomplished works like Close to the Edge). When I listen on horn speakers it's the craziest experience ever. 

#5 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5129 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 15 August 2018 - 12:26 PM

Didn't Relayer get voted as the song that fans most wanted to hear played live? It's been a while.

#6 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3966 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 15 August 2018 - 01:28 PM

Selling england by the pound is genesis' "close to the edge". Also, they were pretty prog for 2 albums after Peter left and before Steve left. Phil Collins said that Jon Anderson invited him to replace Bruford in 69 but he didnt go to the audition. What would've been...

#7 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5629 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 16 August 2018 - 12:54 PM

I want fly from here with jon anderson!! I like time & a word since it's the most emotional/adventurous, but also still that young and raw group. I always thought Yes were the greatest of that era, till I discovered Genesis, and then realized Genesis were the greatest of that era. Genesis never had what Yes had, in terms of each album being a coherent, bowtie wrapped, album. Genesis were always more gritty, odd, daring, but imo achieved in the edges. I guess he was more influenced by beat poets, than Jon Anderson influenced by haru krishnu or whatever. Peter Gabriel had intellectual cred that is a bit unheard of, that took it to musical literary levels. Starting to feel like american psycho. But Yes made better albums probably, but Genesis is something else entirely. It is also interesting just how young Genesis were, and how they broke up before any of them really hit their musical prime, so all you ever got was the young band, (meaning if they didn't split up and go pop you probably would've got those accomplished works like Close to the Edge). When I listen on horn speakers it's the craziest experience ever. 

What albums do you suggest?  I listened to Selling England and found it a bit.....frilly

#8 Carmen1993

Carmen1993

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 170 posts
  • Joined 15-June 13

Posted 16 August 2018 - 01:31 PM

Definitely Foxtrot is the one to get into them. I always had trouble with them, but it all clicked at some point. The Lamb Lies on Broadway is just like infinite puzzles and pieces, amazing stuff. 

Selling england by the pound is genesis' "close to the edge". Also, they were pretty prog for 2 albums after Peter left and before Steve left. Phil Collins said that Jon Anderson invited him to replace Bruford in 69 but he didnt go to the audition. What would've been...

Yes Wind & Wuthering/Trick of the Tails as both prog, in fact, thats when they really excelled as musicians creating these professional, cohesive works, but without PG it's not as good. Dude was something else. It is hard to put in words what I mean by cohesive and the distinction might be pointless, RYM rates them all as 4's regardless. But on Fragile, on Close to the Edge, with Yes, there was something supremely polished, singular, virtuoso about them. Genesis with PG were def spilling over the edges with wild ideas and a harder sell for most. 

#9 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3966 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 16 August 2018 - 02:44 PM

did he write any music with Genesis though or was it only the lyrics? and can someone PM me about this dimeadozen debacle?

#10 shaREEB

shaREEB

Butthole

• Party Members
  • 11739 posts
  • Joined 17-November 08

Posted 02 September 2018 - 02:12 PM

I want fly from here with jon anderson!! I like time & a word since it's the most emotional/adventurous, but also still that young and raw group. I always thought Yes were the greatest of that era, till I discovered Genesis, and then realized Genesis were the greatest of that era. Genesis never had what Yes had, in terms of each album being a coherent, bowtie wrapped, album. Genesis were always more gritty, odd, daring, but imo achieved in the edges. I guess he was more influenced by beat poets, than Jon Anderson influenced by haru krishnu or whatever. Peter Gabriel had intellectual cred that is a bit unheard of, that took it to musical literary levels. Starting to feel like american psycho. But Yes made better albums probably, but Genesis is something else entirely. It is also interesting just how young Genesis were, and how they broke up before any of them really hit their musical prime, so all you ever got was the young band, (meaning if they didn't split up and go pop you probably would've got those accomplished works like Close to the Edge). When I listen on horn speakers it's the craziest experience ever.

What albums do you suggest? I listened to Selling England and found it a bit.....frilly

My friends dad drums for a Genesis cover band and their proggy stuff never clicked for me until I saw those songs played live. Selling England by the Pound is awesome musically.

#11 olympusmons

olympusmons

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Joined 25-April 06

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:55 PM

The Lamb is the top Genesis album for me. So adventurous musically and lyrically. Selling England is wonderful, Foxtrot is so unique— Supper’s Ready is so quirky, peculiar, heavy and light— it really became a transcendent experience live. Nursery Cryme is the beginning of those journeys. Trespass sounds dated but is interesting in hearing the seeds of what was to follow.

ATOTT through ...ATTWT are great albums, full of stories and cinematic moments musically, but not as inventive as the Gabriel-era material. Duke is the bookend for that— it’s the last vestige of that melodrama that made Genesis special. Abacab was a plateau that had less of those moments and for me was the last listenable Genesis album. Everything else blows.

I like to listen to their music over fall and winter. Seems to soundtrack those seasons.

P.S. The Musical Box is a fantastic tribute act— licensed by Genesis— and are touring Europe now with a 1970-1977 extravaganza of their music and stage shows from those years. I was fortunate to see them in Dallas in 2011 on their Lamb tour. A must see for fans of that period of music.

#12 olympusmons

olympusmons

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Joined 25-April 06

Posted 06 September 2018 - 02:54 AM

Oh yeah— Yes.

The Yes Album through Going For The One are pretty much flawless albums for them. This new ARW track has traces of the old spirit— sadly, it would be grand to hear Squire’s harmony blend in with it as well as one of his ol sinewy bass riffs. RIP

#13 still

still

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts
  • Joined 15-April 18

Posted 11 October 2018 - 06:05 PM

Been listening to Yessongs a lot recently. Holy fuck, this thing will blow minds for millennias to come. Those middle sections in Yours Is No Disgrace and Perpetual Change, the finale of Heart Of A Sunrise with that siiick guitar tone. Might be the absolute peak of the Progressive Rock era.

#14 Carmen1993

Carmen1993

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 170 posts
  • Joined 15-June 13

Posted 14 October 2018 - 01:30 AM

omg, they did re-release 'fly from here' with the trevor horn vocals, back in July. this is a piece of history. that album, some say the closest they ever came to classic yes since the suite was written in that era. it has a nice pop/proggy feel to it not unlike Fragile.

https://imgur.com/a/92yTzvn

#15 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3272 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 14 October 2018 - 01:37 AM

interesting piece of yes history here, XYZ (eX Yes Zeppelin) a band that would've crushed had they done a proper album

Without a firm commitment from Plant and contractual issues on who should manage the group (Peter Grant or Brian Lane),[4][5] the project was shelved shortly thereafter. With XYZ's future in limbo, Squire and White recorded a Christmas single called "Run with the Fox", in October 1981 at Squire's house, New Pipers,[6] before forming Cinema, with guitarist Trevor Rabin and keyboardist Tony Kaye. Rabin initially attempted to rework the XYZ material along with his solo songs for the new group. Cinema went on to become a reformation of Yes with the addition of singer Jon Anderson, and the recording of the album 90125 in 1983.

so you can blame page/plant for the 80s cheesefest

#16 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13556 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 14 October 2018 - 03:14 AM

omg, they did re-release 'fly from here' with the trevor horn vocals, back in July. this is a piece of history. that album, some say the closest they ever came to classic yes since the suite was written in that era. it has a nice pop/proggy feel to it not unlike Fragile.

https://imgur.com/a/92yTzvn

Nice, I'd love a comparison video though because it was released ages ago

#17 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3966 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 26 October 2018 - 10:05 AM

So there are like 7 versions of fly from here now.
1 live drama lineup
1 drama lineup rehearsal demo
1 buggles version
1 benoit on vox
1 trevor on vox
1 benoit on vox live
1 jon davison on vox live

#18 Carmen1993

Carmen1993

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 170 posts
  • Joined 15-June 13

Posted 28 October 2018 - 06:32 PM

really getting into ABWH and Magnification. Didn't know late Yes could be so good. 

man really want to buy some roger dean painting but they must be an absurd cost. that was the one dumb shit purchase I wanted when I had dough. 

The Lamb is the top Genesis album for me. So adventurous musically and lyrically. 

adventurous is a great way to say it, it is a treasure trove of tangents, movements, ideas, in service to its concept. not really many albums like it since most ask you hear it front to end. I like those ones Ill usually go to pieces and explore them 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users