IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

The Malkin Jewel Fan Video ContestWho's Gonna Do It?

• Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

#241 LviaCorina

LviaCorina

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 228 posts
  • Joined 13-May 05

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

Wow, that video is craptacular...I don't even know what to say.

Eh, ten times better than all the videos Omar did for Bedlam.

I beg to differ. Not only was it not creative, it lacked a story and was the saddest attempt at kissing I've ever seen. It looked like 12 year-olds attempting what they think is kissing. Not that I think that making out should be in a TMV video, but anyway...

Are you saying that the Bedlam videos were better?

You can't say that the fan video is bad and call those decent.

Yes, that is what I'm saying. The Bedlam videos were funny and the band chose to represent themselves that way. This video is horrifically embarassing for the band. Not only was it plot-less and boring, but as others have said, there were far better videos in the fan contest. Given that Omar is a film maker, I imagine he is shaking his head in disgust that this was the choice, solely based on the number of likes.

#242 Vismund b

Vismund b

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1284 posts
  • Joined 05-December 07

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

Yes, that is what I'm saying. The Bedlam videos were funny and the band chose to represent themselves that way. This video is horrifically embarassing for the band. Not only was it plot-less and boring, but as others have said, there were far better videos in the fan contest. Given that Omar is a film maker, I imagine he is shaking his head in disgust that this was the choice, solely based on the number of likes.

Is this video going to be used in any official manner? If not, then Omar and the guys probably don't give a shit.

#243 LviaCorina

LviaCorina

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 228 posts
  • Joined 13-May 05

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

Is this video going to be used in any official manner? If not, then Omar and the guys probably don't give a shit.

I had kinda assumed with the cheap-o, hands-off approach WB has previously had with the band that the winning video would be used to promote the single.

#244 FleaFighter

FleaFighter

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Joined 29-November 03

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

For what it's worth, regarding the Bedlam videos, the one for Goliath might be my favorite Volta video. It's hilarious, basically equating the process of making music videos (especially playing and lip syncing to pre-recorded music) to kids playing on the street. Moving their whole set up to let the car through (street hockey, anyone?) and Omar's "I gotta go home and eat" are BRILLIANT!

#245 iamisandisnt

iamisandisnt

The joke is INSIDE the joke!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13056 posts
  • Joined 09-February 06

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:13 PM

I really don't think they're gonna use the video in any format. The only thing I saw from them was a link in e-mail and the video on youtube. They've already moved on as a marketing promotion. It was just a contest to stir up a little fan appreciation.

It worked, but yeah, that gas mask guy... somebody shoot me.

#246 Counting The Toll

Counting The Toll

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2068 posts
  • Joined 18-January 06

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

Congrats to the winners! I love you all.

#247 Egle

Egle

Phra-Men-Ma

• Members
  • 9845 posts
  • Joined 07-July 04
  • Interests:art, literature, music, philosophy, spirituality
  • Facebook

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

I guess I'm glad I couldn't actually view any of these cuz I can only be conceptually disappointed rather than knowing with my own eyes that justice was not served. But, hell, that's how awards go. Can we say the Grammies are any less "rigged"? Every once in a while they give one out to a truly deserving band like TMV just to establish some cred, but most of the time it's just a marketing opportunity for whatever they're trying to push at the moment. Even genuine collective acclaim is essentially meaningless cuz all that ever matters is the experience for the artist and the audience, which really can't be shared.

#248 Kingfish

Kingfish

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2605 posts
  • Joined 04-September 05
  • Interests:Music, art, music, art, movies,

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:06 AM

The winning video made me mad.

#249 hxcoliver

hxcoliver

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Joined 30-December 09

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

good, i'm glad i'm not the only one who thought the video was terrible.
don't mean to talk shit on the winner, hell that's awesome that the person actually made an attempt at a video and all that jazz, i'm sure it was probably not very easy,
but personally i did not like it one bit. it was pretty stupid.

#250 StarsUponThars

StarsUponThars

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Joined 23-August 06

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

pretty sure everyone thought that video was terrible, at least the people who posted about it.

to my knowledge i was the only person who actually thought it was alright...

i'm not saying it should have won, but i didn't think it was as awful/not related to the song as everyone else did...

i kinda dug it actually, but i didn't watch all of them, and didn't enter my own (even though i had a WICKED idea!).

#251 belts

belts

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 172 posts
  • Joined 19-August 09

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

Yeah, I don't understand the choices made by Volta and Warner sometimes. The selection for Malkin being the single and the video for it don't seem to be good ones IMHO. While I love Malkin, it is one of the least accessible songs on the album and also the least representative of the album. The video, I think, blows. Anyone who is unfamiliar with Volta and sees this video with this song is most likely not going to be turned on to them.

IMO, Aegis, Lapochka, or Molochwalk would have been much better choices for singles.

And yet, they are still #14 on the national top 200 billboard.

I just think that if Volta and Warner put more effort into promotion, they could someday be #1.

#252 Counting The Toll

Counting The Toll

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2068 posts
  • Joined 18-January 06

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

WINNERS! HOW DID YOU SPEND THE BEST BUY GIFT CARD?

#253 pleather

pleather

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Joined 02-August 09

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

Id pawn it to get my colon checked.

#254 Champiness

Champiness

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • Joined 30-April 09

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:23 AM

I really don't think they're gonna use the video in any format. The only thing I saw from them was a link in e-mail and the video on youtube. They've already moved on as a marketing promotion. It was just a contest to stir up a little fan appreciation.

Exactly this. Actually (as the colonoscopy-video guy pointed out prior to the announcement of the results), it never says anywhere in the rules that the winning video would be used for anything, or that it would somehow be considered "official". It was basically "here, make a fan video for this song, and we'll give a gift card to whoever gets the most likes on theirs". So in a way you could say that all the videos produced for the contest are equally official videos for Malkin. Yes, even the Rugrats one Hooroo did.

#255 Metrognomes

Metrognomes

"reverse the polarity of the neutron flow."

• Members
  • 7500 posts
  • Joined 19-March 07

Posted 26 September 2020 - 09:49 AM

Ugh I really wish i had the confidence to shoot anything for the contest :dry:

#256 Andrewf

Andrewf

Goliath