IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Run The Jewels

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 swoonlp

swoonlp

Underneath the surface

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3322 posts
  • Joined 12-October 13

Posted 25 December 2016 - 01:39 PM

When I heard the first couple singles, it sounded more mature or serious, for lack of a better way to describe the feeling.

As you said, it's less weird and gritty, maybe not banger after banger but I also think they dropped some of the tongue in cheek stuff so I must admit I like it the way it is, .

#42 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

in•ter a•li•a•moms

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me be about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 25 December 2016 - 02:56 PM

Yea I got the email last night. Going to listen today or tomorrow.

I too miss El-Ps solo work.

#43 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 12426 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 28 December 2016 - 06:08 PM

The new album is "out" according to Has It Leaked

#44 auxfnx

auxfnx

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Joined 26-October 10

Posted 28 December 2016 - 06:39 PM

The new album is "out" according to Has It Leaked

released officially on christmas day via their website

#45 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

in•ter a•li•a•moms

• Party Members
  • 5068 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 29 December 2016 - 02:14 AM

Listened once. From one listen it definitely feels like their weakest.  It's not bad, but there is this feeling like they weren't quite sure what direction to go.  I think it was smart of them to not try and outdo RTJ2 in terms of bombastic craziness as that would have flopped hard.  They went with something that at times reminds me more of El-P solo albums (Fantastic Damage specifically) or even Company Flow.  I think the more mellow, but weird approach could have worked, but they still tried to keep some of the RTJ ballsiness which I think muddled the execution.  No real "bangers".

I think this will be one that slowly is more appreciated over time or is quickly forgotten.  Either way I applaud the effort.  The production is still awesome as per usual with El-P aside from one too many "RTJ" name drops during songs.  I can imagine people who don't know El-P's older work being confused by this.  Since that is how I got into the group it fits in with his previous productions

#46 auxfnx

auxfnx

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Joined 26-October 10

Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:48 PM

I still feel like this is well within their usual scope. It sounds like the other two albums bar a couple of tunes. And it's as good as the other two asides from the fact that the other two came out before. I think I would like it a lot more if they hadn't already made two albums of this stuff.

I dunno, I just don't really like artists repeating themselves too much unless there is a lot more to explore with the sound, but I don't really think there is here.

#47 swoonlp

swoonlp

Underneath the surface

• Members
  • 3322 posts
  • Joined 12-October 13

Posted 29 December 2016 - 01:25 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the tracks that left the strongest impression after the first couple listen were ALL the ones with a featuring iirc. It might be why it still sounds a bit fresh to me, but time will tell, like Alex said.

Its a bit similar to Swans, three back to back records that explore the same scope of sounds and ideas.

#48 indrossi

indrossi

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Coma Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3731 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Cats and foxes.

Posted 29 December 2016 - 01:31 PM

Downloaded it, haven't listened yet. I don't know. They kinda bore me to be honest. Far too much echo on the vocals I find annoying, and can't stand El-P's propensity for pop choruses and structure. I own RTJ1 on wax, but I was done with the album by the time I bought it and I'm not sure I've ever spun it. Don't get the hype, find the high-fiving insufferable, but they're not without their moments: it's just all a bit brash, without nuance, and perhaps a bit too self-important for me, generally. Will give RTJ3 a spin, in time, and report back.

#49 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

in•ter a•li•a•moms

• Party Members
  • 5068 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 29 December 2016 - 01:34 PM

I still feel like this is well within their usual scope. It sounds like the other two albums bar a couple of tunes. And it's as good as the other two asides from the fact that the other two came out before. I think I would like it a lot more if they hadn't already made two albums of this stuff.

I dunno, I just don't really like artists repeating themselves too much unless there is a lot more to explore with the sound, but I don't really think there is here.

I don't mean to say that its weirdly outside the scope of what the other two albums are, but its no where near as extremely braggadocios as the first two.  It's a bit less in your face, and has some weirder sounds.  Considering the group initially started as two buds just goofing around its pretty amazing what they've created in such a short amount of time.  I would still love to see a new solo El-P record.  I'll Sleep When Your Dead was a watershed album for me. 

#50 auxfnx

auxfnx

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Joined 26-October 10

Posted 29 December 2016 - 05:59 PM

I don't mean to say that its weirdly outside the scope of what the other two albums are, but its no where near as extremely braggadocios as the first two.  It's a bit less in your face, and has some weirder sounds.  Considering the group initially started as two buds just goofing around its pretty amazing what they've created in such a short amount of time.  I would still love to see a new solo El-P record.  I'll Sleep When Your Dead was a watershed album for me. 

same here. I think an RTJ album with the variety of beats El was making for Mike on R.A.P. Music would be killer

#51 pimpollo

pimpollo

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 200 posts
  • Joined 16-October 09

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:56 PM

run d jews baby!

I loved it, save for a few personal duds. Love the production work on it.

I don't know if it's my favorite but I've always preferred 1 over 2.

#52 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 7882 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Interests:Creative and really channeling music, the sounds must carry the life force of what it is meant to be. I really enjoy good horror and consider myself a constitutionalist and patriot.
  • Facebook
  • Myspace

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:31 AM

Production is good but the spark seems dimmed. Some songs kinda suck.

#53 indrossi

indrossi

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Coma Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3731 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Cats and foxes.

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:13 AM

Listened once. More subtle than the first two. A lot quieter, and I'm fonder of that so will listen again. El-P's verses and the generally saccarine choruses are still the weak link.

#54 daveion

daveion

El Guapo

• Coma Donor
  • 3143 posts
  • Joined 01-March 05

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:40 PM

This grew on me a ton, very solid album, just a little below the first 2 in my book. Definitely some great tracks on here - Down, Stay Gold, 2100, Everybody Stay Calm, and A Report to the Shareholders which is one of their best songs period.

#55 Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man

POWDERED.TOAST.MAN

• Members
  • 10744 posts
  • Joined 20-February 10
  • Twitter

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:03 PM

S'alright. RTJ are OK but they seem to think they're the second coming. It bleeds through the music sometimes and kinda ruins it

#56 jezz

jezz

Televator

• Coma Donor
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • Joined 05-March 07

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:33 AM

Isn't that a prerequisite for every rapper 

#57 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 12426 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:26 PM

#58 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 7882 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Interests:Creative and really channeling music, the sounds must carry the life force of what it is meant to be. I really enjoy good horror and consider myself a constitutionalist and patriot.
  • Facebook
  • Myspace

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:46 PM

That was amazing....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users