IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Psychedelic Albums

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8359 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Interests:Writing, Music, Film.
  • Facebook

Posted 18 August 2020 - 04:45 PM

Did a search and although there are multiple albums that fit this category in many threads given this is a TMV forum, I thought it’d be nice to share our discoveries and personal gems in this space.

My own musical journey discovered four new (to me) psychedelic ventures by bands from the 60s.

Been loving The Beach Boys... their two albums are the Smile releases, which are Smiley Smile (like an OG Animal Collective), and the Smile Sessions (the full concept before it fell apart). Brian Wilson’s Smile album has several tracks and movements throughout which are superior to the sessions. Smile is in essence psychedelic Americana and Brian’s response to the British Invasion.

Just got into another Dad favorite, The Moody Blues, their two albums I’d totally recommend are Days of Future Passed (which ends with Nights in White Satin and is a super impressive British rock/classical music hybrid) and their follow-up In Search of A Lost Chord (inspired by the late 60s acid movement and also by Beatles’ Sgt. Peppers). I honestly believe both these Moodies albums hold their own with Peppers.

What are your thoughts? Got any to add?

#2 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 6132 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 18 August 2020 - 05:46 PM

I mean, how many Acid Mother's Temple albums you want me to link?

#3 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 8359 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Facebook

Posted 18 August 2020 - 05:48 PM

Your personal favorites? I’m just proposing that we can mention entire groups or artists but for the purpose of maybe starting points for newcomers what would you suggest?

#4 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4781 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 18 August 2020 - 07:39 PM

How do we define psychedelic though? Like, I would say J Dilla is more psychedelic than the umpteenth bad rock band from California that uses fuzz pedals and has long hair. There is a profusion of "psychedelic" music out there but how much of it is actually "trippy?" And does it need to be? Alot drum n bass and techno is pretty trippy, but would we want to call it psychedelic? The term is just so broad these days...

#5 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 8359 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Facebook

Posted 18 August 2020 - 08:16 PM

It is generally very broad nowadays. I was interested in psychedelic rock bands but agree that other genres incorporate these elements. Of course there’s jazz with Bitches Brew. Donuts, and also Dr. Octagon and Cannibal Ox that’s like psychedelic hip-hop. I’m open to all albums that were created with that intent for a psychedelic headspace or themes. Sometimes though these elements aren’t what make a genre primarily psychedelia.

I’m just open to new recommendations of your personal favorites and maybe a sentence or two about those albums.

#6 temporal lob

temporal lob

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Joined 02-September 13

Posted 18 August 2020 - 10:56 PM

I would recommend the band Gong's Radio Gnome Invisible Trilogy, consisting of the albums Flying Teapot, Angels Egg, and You.
They have that early 70's silly, fun, trippy, but extremely well played kind of psychedelic fusion thing going on.

#7 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 8359 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Facebook

Posted 19 August 2020 - 01:52 AM

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll listen sometime tomorrow or the next day.

Just sharing two standout tracks from the Moodies albums I opened the discussion with. 

And I just started listening to their album To Our Children's Children's Children, released in 1969 inspired by the moon landing. Another album noted for its experimental and symphonic sound... This song is sick! And it is followed by another great one called Eternity Road. 

#8 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 6132 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 19 August 2020 - 03:10 AM

Kidding aside

A few of my personal favorites:

Hawkwind were pretty incredible in the early part of their career, especially when Lemmy was on board.  Space Ritual is one of the best live albums ever.  I dig Roky Erickson's post 13th floor elevators work.  I recently was turned onto some Japanese classic psychedelic music which I enjoyed.  Shinki Chen and The Apryl Fool specifically stuck out to me.  More modern, and more lax but I enjoyed a few albums by Kikagaku Moyo.  

I will always cosign Spiritualized.  A nice blend psychedelic rock and gospel.  

Also have been digging through classic German music and found some bands that venture more into this realm than your typical "krautrock".  Thirsty Moon comes to mind, that was a good album.

Classic Soft Machine can't be beat, up until about Third.  Kevin Ayers also made some wonderful albums before his substance use got out of hand.

Butthole Surfers, despite their name also made some pretty wicked albums in their day.  I really like Electric Larryland.  Very fuzzy, but a fun 90's trip.  

But also seriously Acid Mothers Temple is pretty great.  VERY out there, but if you want some weird ass shit trippy psych they got you covered.

#9 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Goliath

• Members
  • 4128 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 19 August 2020 - 03:10 PM

AMT is great to listen to once or twice a year on a long drive, i like this song of theirs a lot. im sure their live shows are crazy too

#10 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 8359 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Facebook

Posted 19 August 2020 - 06:29 PM

Can't wait to check all these out with my new wireless ear buds! :) As an audiophile I know it's not optimal sound quality but if I like an album enough I'll get it on vinyl. 

#11 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 10363 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 22 August 2020 - 07:14 PM

Butthole surfers are indeed psych as fuck. All their 90s albums are worth checking out.

#12 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 6132 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 23 August 2020 - 05:52 AM

Butthole surfers are indeed psych as fuck. All their 90s albums is worth checking out.

I remember seeing concert footage which is what sold me. Total pandemonium

#13 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Goliath

• Members
  • 4128 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 29 August 2020 - 01:44 AM

Just finished adding a shit load of stuff to my discogs list. some lesser known 60s psych to consider:

Gandalf

Please

Dantalian's Chariot

Culpeper's Orchard

The Action

Arzachel

The Dukes Of Stratosphear (XTC side project but very faithful to the classic sound)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users